Q: Linux on a EZ-processed 8.4G Hdd, possible and safe ?

Q: Linux on a EZ-processed 8.4G Hdd, possible and safe ?

Post by Ton v.d. Woude » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi everyone,

In my continuing quest for space i recently installed
a new WD 28400R 8.4Gb. Sadly i'm not able to get it to
use LBA only in normal mode which leaves 528 Mb for other
OS's. One of the alternatives i have is to install
WD-EZ-drive to it. This will fix the problem for win/dos,
but can it be used by linux ?.

Is there some of you who could enlight me on
-       is it possible ?
-       is it safe ?
-       is it reverisble/uninstallable ?
-       is it wise/worth the trouble/risk ?

Any help greatly appriciated

Regards,

Ton.

--

For replying, please remove the "NoSpam4" from my addres

Q: Linux on a EZ-processed 8.4G Hdd, possible and safe ?

Post by Alle » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

What is the rest of your hardware info?  I'm searching for a reason why you're
not able to use LBA-- what distribution are you using, what motherboard and/or
ide controller?  I've never had anything but problems with those large disk
"kludges", and in the long run, I've always had to reformat to remove them.  I'd
recommend not to do it?  What OS's are you trying to get to co-exist??  How are
you trying to arrange them, partition size-wise?  Your bios date could be a
factor too, but your motherboard manufacturer may be the only one who could tell
if that particular version is so limited???

        I'm not sure that it is possible, but I'm REAL sure that it's not safe!

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 16:22:37 +0100, "Ton v.d. Wouden"

>Hi everyone,

>In my continuing quest for space i recently installed
>a new WD 28400R 8.4Gb. Sadly i'm not able to get it to
>use LBA only in normal mode which leaves 528 Mb for other
>OS's. One of the alternatives i have is to install
>WD-EZ-drive to it. This will fix the problem for win/dos,
>but can it be used by linux ?.

>Is there some of you who could enlight me on
>-   is it possible ?
>-   is it safe ?
>-   is it reverisble/uninstallable ?
>-   is it wise/worth the trouble/risk ?

>Any help greatly appriciated

>Regards,

>Ton.

Allen

(email addy; user ID portion has a numeral one in place of word
onespoiler, and of course, delete the bogus secondary domain of nospam.)
PC/hardware Guru, and Linux Newbie

Q: Linux on a EZ-processed 8.4G Hdd, possible and safe ?

Post by Alle » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

What is the rest of your hardware info?  I'm searching for a reason why you're
not able to use LBA-- what distribution are you using, what motherboard and/or
ide controller?  I've never had anything but problems with those large disk
"kludges", and in the long run, I've always had to reformat to remove them.  I'd
recommend not to do it?  What OS's are you trying to get to co-exist??  How are
you trying to arrange them, partition size-wise?  Your bios date could be a
factor too, but your motherboard manufacturer may be the only one who could tell
if that particular version is so limited???

        I'm not sure that it is possible, but I'm REAL sure that it's not safe!

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 16:22:37 +0100, "Ton v.d. Wouden"

>Hi everyone,

>In my continuing quest for space i recently installed
>a new WD 28400R 8.4Gb. Sadly i'm not able to get it to
>use LBA only in normal mode which leaves 528 Mb for other
>OS's. One of the alternatives i have is to install
>WD-EZ-drive to it. This will fix the problem for win/dos,
>but can it be used by linux ?.

>Is there some of you who could enlight me on
>-   is it possible ?
>-   is it safe ?
>-   is it reverisble/uninstallable ?
>-   is it wise/worth the trouble/risk ?

>Any help greatly appriciated

>Regards,

>Ton.

Allen

(email addy; user ID portion has a numeral one in place of word
onespoiler, and of course, delete the bogus secondary domain of nospam.)
PC/hardware Guru, and Linux Newbie

1. Help with Buslogic bt956C and 4G HDD

Hi there.

I'm hoping that someone can offer some advice with some problems I'm
having with formatting 2 4G Hard drives. I'm using the Slackware96
distribution. Here is my setup:

Tyan dual Pentium PCI m/b (s1462) with 2 Pentium 166s
    The board features 4 PCI and 5 EISA slots
128M RAM
Buslogic BT956C PCI Wide SCSI adapter
#9 9FX Motion 771 video adapter with 2M (PCI)
ATI AT-2450 Series PCI Ethernet Adapter Card
2 Seagate HAWK 4  ST15230W 4.2G drives
TEAC 6x CD-ROM
Internal SCSI Zip

The errors are varied and intermittent, and always have to do with wrong
inode counts. The most disturbing problem happens when I run mke2fs.
I get "Kernel panic: Free list corrupted."

All the parts are brand spanking new,  and just in case, I also swapped
out all the memory and the CPU's to make sure I don't have bad chips.
I've also tried it both with and without the "> 1G" drive option in the
AutoSCSI utility for the BusLogic card.

I'm stumped. Any help would be much appreciated.

Henry Chung

Portfolio Central... everyone else is just putting you on.

2. module options?

3. make linux hdd copy safe

4. Adaptec 2842 with RH5.0?

5. Possible to boot Linux with EZ-Bios Running?

6. Red Hat and KDE setup

7. Possible to install Linux on a HD using EZ-drive?

8. Adminstration without root access

9. Patritioning WD 8.4 GB drive and Linux and EZ-Drive/EZ-Bios

10. Linux & NT on 2 HDD's possible?

11. Installing RH 6.0 from HDD using EZ-BIOS

12. Using full 4G of RAM for a single process

13. Lilo: Is it safe to mess with HDD's DOS boot sector?