Buying MODEM for Linux: advice needed

Post by Matt Kirsc » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> I would like to upgrade the modem (a hand-me-down) on my Linux box to
> 28.8 Kbps or better.  The problem is that everything I find in stores
> is described as being "for Windows" or "for Macintosh": Unix does not
> exist as far as modem makers is concerned.  After much searching, and
> more out of frustration than anything else, I went ahead and bought a
> modem (USR) that said "Windows95 required", in the hope that I would
> get it to work.  For someone who understands as little about modems as
> I do, this was a perfectly hopeless strategy; I ended up returning the
> modem later the same day.

> Does anybody know of a list of Linux-friendly modem makers?

There isn't really a list of Linux-friendly _anything_ makers.
You can count the number of corporations on one hand:
Buslogic, Digi, Cyclades. Am I missing any? Unless you just
want two multi-port serial boards and a SCSI controller,
you're going to have to delve into the world of anti-Linux
hardware manufacturers to fully equip your system.

First mistake you made was to go to a local store. They know
nothing about computers, but a lot about dead presidents'
pictures. For one thing, you'll pay about twice what the
hardware is worth, and you'll end up with junk.

Second mistake you made was not differentiating between
"for Windows" and "Windows 95 only". "For Windows" usually
indicates that a particular part is for the PC architecture.
"Windows 95 only" means that it will only run in Windows 95.
You got stuck with an infamous US Robotics Winmodem, that
isn't really a modem, and as such only works with special
emulation software only available for Windows 95.

To buy a modem, you look for a serial modem. Even internal
modems are simply serial ports hard wired to a modem on
a little fiberglass card. Winmodems and MWave modems are
DSP modems, not serial modems. They simply use sound-card
technology to make the warbles and squeals on the phone
line and depend on the CPU to figure out if a warble
means 0 and a squeal means 1 or vice versa. Serial modems
take care of that by themselves, and send a simple digital
stream of 1's and 0's down to the system. Also beware of
the other bane of Linux modeming: the RPI modem. It is a
serial modem, but it lacks error correction and hardware
compression in hardware.

--
Mathew E. Kirsch, CLSE (Certifiable Linux Systems Engineer)
*Opinions expressed herein do not reflect those of my employer.

"If you don't have time to read the FAQ, I don't have time to read it to
you."

Post by John Gluc » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> I would like to upgrade the modem (a hand-me-down) on my Linux box to
> 28.8 Kbps or better.  The problem is that everything I find in stores
> is described as being "for Windows" or "for Macintosh": Unix does not
> exist as far as modem makers is concerned.  After much searching, and
> more out of frustration than anything else, I went ahead and bought a
> modem (USR) that said "Windows95 required", in the hope that I would
> get it to work.  For someone who understands as little about modems as
> I do, this was a perfectly hopeless strategy; I ended up returning the
> modem later the same day.

> Does anybody know of a list of Linux-friendly modem makers?

> Thanks for your help!

> Bern
> NOTE: Do not reply without fixing my e-mail address!  The string

Hi

The first thing I would say, is stay away from internal modems.
Manufacturers can do anything they want like not put in UARTs.

Go with an external modem and look for one that's Hayes compatible.
The Hayes command set is understood by most any comm package.
Also, look in the box for a manual that describes the command set in
detail.
You may not understand it but when you're trying to set up a system you
may need to refer to it.
At that point you're likely responding to a setup utility question and
you'll know what you're looking for.

A good reputable computer store will likely be able to guide you.
John Gluck

1. Buying MODEM for Linux: advice needed

 Hi,
   Yup those gosh darn 'win-modems' don't work well without Windoze... I just
got a US Robotics 33.6 kbs Sportster faxmodem and I'm using it to send this
message running linux. It was about $140.00 with a $40 rebate
Hope this helps
--
Genuine E-mail From the Land of the Everlasting Icicle...
Bob Liesenfeld

2. ssh(1) and privileged port

3. Need advice in buying new modem

4. KDE Question

5. Need advice on buying a system for Linux

6. r-commands Permission denied.

7. Need advice on buying CD-ROM for Linux

8. Bill Gates sucks

9. Need advice on buying a new Linux box

10. Advice needed in buying a laptop PC that will work with Linux.

11. Need advice on SCSI-2 VLB to buy

12. Need advice on a good book to buy !

13. need some CD-R buying advice