USR Courier Init String?

Post by System Administrat » Fri, 25 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I'm having trouble setting up my USR Courier modems.  I think it seems to be a
flow control problem.  My modems answer the phone and hang up correctly but
when someone goes to transfer a file they keep getting CRC errors.  I've
went thru the manual numerous time and tried various INIT strings and still
seem to be overlooking something.  Could someone please send me a working
init string.  Thanks.

--
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| John Maslanik            |\/| |   \ /           Voice: (619) 449-6282     |

USR Courier Init String?

Post by Brian Smi » Fri, 25 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>I'm having trouble setting up my USR Courier modems.  I think it seems to be a
>flow control problem.  My modems answer the phone and hang up correctly but
>when someone goes to transfer a file they keep getting CRC errors.  I've
>went thru the manual numerous time and tried various INIT strings and still
>seem to be overlooking something.  Could someone please send me a working
>init string.  Thanks.

Are they uploading TO you, or downloading FROM you?
If they are uploading to you, then the problem will be theirs, not yours.
If they are downloading from you, then try this:

I assume you have already put &B0 in your init string for fixed (high)
speed throughput.
Put &H1 in your init string to enable TRANSMIT CTS flow control.
Put &R2 in your init string to enable RECEIVE RTS flow control.

And I have no idea what to do in order to enable hardware flow control
on the software (Linux) side of things. Maybe it is there by default,
maybe it isn't.

If you do not have a 16550AN or equiv. UART, you had better lock your
serial port at no more than 38400. 19200 if your system is slow.

Quote:>--
>/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
>| John Maslanik            |\/| |   \ /           Voice: (619) 449-6282     |
>| MLXnet Admin             |  | |__ / \           Data/Fax: (619) 449-6274  |
>\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

- Brian

USR Courier Init String?

Post by Volker Schmi » Mon, 28 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>>I'm having trouble setting up my USR Courier modems.  I think it seems to be a
>>flow control problem.  My modems answer the phone and hang up correctly but
>>when someone goes to transfer a file they keep getting CRC errors.  I've
>>went thru the manual numerous time and tried various INIT strings and still
>>seem to be overlooking something.  Could someone please send me a working
>>init string.  Thanks.
>Are they uploading TO you, or downloading FROM you?
>If they are uploading to you, then the problem will be theirs, not yours.
>If they are downloading from you, then try this:
>I assume you have already put &B0 in your init string for fixed (high)
>speed throughput.
>Put &H1 in your init string to enable TRANSMIT CTS flow control.
>Put &R2 in your init string to enable RECEIVE RTS flow control.
>And I have no idea what to do in order to enable hardware flow control
>on the software (Linux) side of things. Maybe it is there by default,
>maybe it isn't.

No. It isn't enabled at the startup on default. I use the following in my
/etc/inittab

# set /dev/ttySx to 8-bit clean mode and use RTS/CTS
m0::bootwait:/bin/stty sane pass8 -clocal crtscts < /dev/ttyS0
m1::bootwait:/bin/stty sane pass8 -clocal crtscts < /dev/ttyS1
m2::bootwait:/bin/stty sane pass8 -clocal crtscts < /dev/ttyS2
m3::bootwait:/bin/stty sane pass8 -clocal crtscts < /dev/ttyS3

-volker
--

Es gibt drei Dinge, von denen man nie wei?, wie sie enden:
Liebe, Revolution und Karriere.

1. USR Courier for DIAL-IN: init string?

I'll keep it short and sweet.
I'm dialing into my linux machine for a PPP connection.  Everything has
worked perfectly for the last 2 months after I got it working.
But, now that I got a new USR Sportster 28.8 modem, I can no longer
connect.  All I get is junk - no login.

The modem connected to the linux machine is a USR Courier V.Everything,
and has this same problem with *all* 28.8 modems (I've had the same
problem with 4 28.8 modems).

Is there something I need to put int he init string, or some jumper to
set?  I have a brand new 28.8 modem and it's going to waste :( :(

Thanks for any help!

--
Matt Kruse

http://web.sau.edu/~mkruse/
  MK-Stats: My complete log-analysis Perl script with graphical output!
                  http://web.sau.edu/~mkruse/mkstats/
       I'm published! :) See Doctor Dobb's Journal, February 1996

2. fvwm95 and autoraise

3. Initialization String for USR Courier Modem in Linux

4. 1.2.13 compile problems please help!

5. /usr/include/string.h and /usr/include/strings.h

6. GREAT is

7. USR Sportster Init String?

8. Lilo problems

9. USR 56K (id 5685) does not respont to init string

10. Init String for USR 5687 modem

11. Init String for USR 14.4 modem (gettyps)

12. Init string for USR 14.4 to SLIP???

13. Init String & 56K USR Sportster