Intermittent Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse USB problems on Libranet 2.7 (Debian)

Intermittent Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse USB problems on Libranet 2.7 (Debian)

Post by SFU Physics Studen » Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:44:01

Hi all,

I just installed a year old version of libranet 2.7 (www.libranet.com)
that I had at home on two of our computers at school (dual boot with
WinXP).  The Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse (USB) seems to work about
half the time on bootup.  You can actually see the red light go off and
read the error message on the screen before X windows start (sorry I
wasn't quick enough to take a note of it, and now after rebooting a few
times, the mouse works--I'm using the linux boot right now).  I did a
little bit of research on other news groups and it seems that I've got a
pretty standard config file:

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Default Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"              "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"            "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"     "true"
        Option          "ZAxisMapping"                "4 5"
EndSection

I personally don't have a big problem with rebooting at the logon window
using the keyboard when the mouse is offline, but I can see some other
students just switching the whole thing off when the "computer doesn't
work..."

Any ideas?  Any questions (be very specific, I'm not a guru--ie. if you
need some info, tell me how to get it)

Cheers
Pat

P.S.  The current version of libranet is 2.8.1, but from their forum,
some users seem to have very similar problems with optical mice.  Unless
necessary, I'd rather not have to upgrade, but if that's what it takes
then...