slowdowns with 3c590 PCI ..

Post by John Sheehy,Tralee Irela » Thu, 21 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I wonder if anyone could help me here. I have a 3c590 Pci network card
in my linux box ( 1.3.45) and whenever I connect to the machine -telnet
or ftp- the connection is extremely slow. Other machines on the local
10 Mbs network seem a lot faster.
E.g. a machine with a 3c590B running linux1.2.13 connects (telnet ) in
under a second whereas my machine can sometimes take 15 or more seconds .
I have used Donald Becker's driver in patch form (1.2.6 1.2.13) and the
loadable module for 1.3.45 but the slowdowns remain.
The card is the combo model using BNC connectors.
Anybody here heard of a similar situation ? I've read the ethernet and
hardware howtos etc. but they seem to only tell of success stories..

ps the card is sometimes extremely fast approaching 900K/s but this is
extremely rare and I havent been able to duplicate these circumstances.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

slowdowns with 3c590 PCI ..

Post by Dave Pla » Thu, 21 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I wonder if anyone could help me here. I have a 3c590 Pci network card
>in my linux box ( 1.3.45) and whenever I connect to the machine -telnet
>or ftp- the connection is extremely slow. Other machines on the local
>10 Mbs network seem a lot faster.
>E.g. a machine with a 3c590B running linux1.2.13 connects (telnet ) in
>under a second whereas my machine can sometimes take 15 or more seconds .
>I have used Donald Becker's driver in patch form (1.2.6 1.2.13) and the
>loadable module for 1.3.45 but the slowdowns remain.
>The card is the combo model using BNC connectors.
>Anybody here heard of a similar situation ?

Yup.  It's probably unrelated to the Ethernet card.  It's probably a DNS
problem.

The inbound TCP connections on your machine are probably being managed
by the "tcpd" wrapper daemon.  When a connection arrives, tcpd is
started up by inetd;  tcpd does a "reverse DNS lookup" to translate the
IP address of the incoming connection's source into a hostname, so that
it can log the connection via syslog and (optionally) screen the
connection against the "allow" and "deny" hosts lists.

The DNS/resolver setup on your machine is probably incorrect.  This
causes the initial DNS query to time out (which takes 10 or 15 seconds).
Things to check:

-  Make sure that your /etc/resolv.conf file lists the correct IP
   addresses (NOT hostnames) for the machine(s) on your net which are
   running DNS servers (typically the "named" daemon).  List the most
   reliable and fastest server's address first.

-  Try adding the hostnames and addresses of machines that you connect
   from to the /etc/hosts file.  Then, in /etc/host.conf, add the line
   "order hosts,bind".  This will allow the DNS resolver library to
   consult your /etc/hosts file first;  only if there's no match for a
   hostname or address will it send a DNS query to the servers listed in
   /etc/resolv.conf.
--

      USNAIL: The 3DO Company, Systems Software group
              600 Galveston Drive