I've experienced similar problems with an IDE hd in a notebook (see my posting a
view lines above). So far I've found out the following:
- so far LILO has loaded its second stage boot loader (normally in /boot/boot.b
in your Linux root partition) successfully
- it is now going to load the compressed kernel image
- if you see a newline after the dots, then loading has been completed and LILO
tries to jump into the bootstraper of the kernel
In any case LILO has problems in reading the kernel image from disk. This is
most likely a problem in the way LILO loads the image from disk (e.g. because
LILO does not get along with the hd geometry information it gets from the BIOS).
I suggest to try some of the following:
- play with the compact/linear options in lino.conf
- try LOADLIN
- update your system BIOS (or the BIOS of your host adapter, if you use a SCSI
- exchange your hd controller
> Hi. I was working through some boot-time issues on a server after upgrading
> to the 2.0.34 kernel. After a couple rounds of reboots, I get a*
> system at
> LILO boot:
> Loading linux...
> Three dots, that's all. Same result even with newly dd'd boot.img and
> supp.img off of sunsite (rh5.1). It's apparently a hardware failure of some
> sort. Anybody have any suggestions as to what to start swapping out first?
> Memory? Possibly dead SCSI adapters? What's going on in the kernel loading
> at this point?
> Edward Siewick
> ESiewick.a.DigiPro com DigiPro Digital Productions, LLC
> Voice: 703-522-8465 3100 North Quincy Street
> Fax: 703-522-8417 Arlington, *ia 22207