Bus/InPort Mouse problems! Argh!

Post by Robert Glove » Sat, 05 Aug 1995 04:00:00

This is nuts.  Every time I set up Linux on a system that
doesn't have a serial mouse, I can't get X Windows working.
Only this time it's worse.

I installed from Walnut Creek's Slackware 2.3 CD on my Gateway
2000 P75 system at work.  Before upgrading the kernel (using
the one on the CD), X came up just fine.  The mouse is one of
those 6-pin DIN InPort mice.

Then I upgraded to 1.2.11 (from 1.2.8), and compiled in the
PS/2 feature, as mentioned in the HowTo.  No go.  When gpm
runs, it acts fine, but if I move the house, the text cursor is
all haywire, and when I attempt to run X, it says Device or
Resource Busy.

I then went back to the same kernel from the CD... it does the
SAME THING now.  What's the deal?

On another machine here, it has an actual Bus Mouse (9 pin
DIN), and the very same thing happens, when using the Bus Mouse
settings.

Does anybody know how to make this work???  Please??

Rob

Post by William Mangione-Smi » Sat, 05 Aug 1995 04:00:00

   This is nuts.  Every time I set up Linux on a system that
   doesn't have a serial mouse, I can't get X Windows working.
   Only this time it's worse.

   I installed from Walnut Creek's Slackware 2.3 CD on my Gateway
   2000 P75 system at work.  Before upgrading the kernel (using
   the one on the CD), X came up just fine.  The mouse is one of
   those 6-pin DIN InPort mice.

   Then I upgraded to 1.2.11 (from 1.2.8), and compiled in the
   PS/2 feature, as mentioned in the HowTo.  No go.  When gpm
   runs, it acts fine, but if I move the house, the text cursor is
   all haywire, and when I attempt to run X, it says Device or
   Resource Busy.

It sounds like the problem is that you have gpm running.
I fired that up for the first time with this recent installation
I was doing, and X failed because of the mouse with *exactly* the
same symptons.  Uncommented gpm, reboot, no problems here...

Bill

Post by jo.. » Sun, 06 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>    This is nuts.  Every time I set up Linux on a system that
>    doesn't have a serial mouse, I can't get X Windows working.
>    Only this time it's worse.
>    I installed from Walnut Creek's Slackware 2.3 CD on my Gateway
>    2000 P75 system at work.  Before upgrading the kernel (using
>    the one on the CD), X came up just fine.  The mouse is one of
>    those 6-pin DIN InPort mice.
>    Then I upgraded to 1.2.11 (from 1.2.8), and compiled in the
>    PS/2 feature, as mentioned in the HowTo.  No go.  When gpm
>    runs, it acts fine, but if I move the house, the text cursor is
>    all haywire, and when I attempt to run X, it says Device or
>    Resource Busy.
> It sounds like the problem is that you have gpm running.
> I fired that up for the first time with this recent installation
> I was doing, and X failed because of the mouse with *exactly* the
> same symptons.  Uncommented gpm, reboot, no problems here...
> Bill

The ps/2 mouse driver can only support one process. The selection daemon
grabs it first, causing X to produce this message.

/etc/init.d/selection stop

After that, i can start X. Of course, cut/paste doesn't work anymore :-(

Joop

Post by Pingji L » Wed, 09 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>It sounds like the problem is that you have gpm running.
>I fired that up for the first time with this recent installation
>I was doing, and X failed because of the mouse with *exactly* the
>same symptons.  Uncommented gpm, reboot, no problems here...

The Microsoft PS/2 mouse is not working under my Micron P100 system.
The Linux kernel is 1.2.13. I tried almost every thing, recompiling  the
kernel, changing the mouse feature with both xf86config and kernel config,
disabling the gpm .....

It's still not working. When I run startx, the X window pops up,
THere is just no responding from the mouse at all, without any message.

Somebody please  help.

Thanks!

Bus/InPort Mouse problems! Argh!

Post by Pingji L » Wed, 09 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>The Microsoft PS/2 mouse is not working under my Micron P100 system.
>The Linux kernel is 1.2.13. I tried almost every thing, recompiling  the
>kernel, changing the mouse feature with both xf86config and kernel config,
>disabling the gpm .....

The mouse worked,  by refering /dev/mouse to /dev/psaux.

Thanks.

pingji

Bus/InPort Mouse problems! Argh!

Post by Scott Umst » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I'm having similar mouse problems....

I have a PS/2 style mouse on my Gateway.  I can get gpm to
work fine by specifying gpm -t 'ps2' on the command line, since
I don't load it on startup. BUT if I try to run X, I get no reponse
from the mouse.  The XF86Config file lists the pointing device as a
PS/2  mouse using /dev/mouse as the device. Device /dev/mouse points
to the correct device psaux.

I've looked in all the FAQs I could find, but have yet to find an
appropriate solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

>>It sounds like the problem is that you have gpm running.
>>I fired that up for the first time with this recent installation
>>I was doing, and X failed because of the mouse with *exactly* the
>>same symptons.  Uncommented gpm, reboot, no problems here...
>The Microsoft PS/2 mouse is not working under my Micron P100 system.
>The Linux kernel is 1.2.13. I tried almost every thing, recompiling  the
>kernel, changing the mouse feature with both xf86config and kernel config,
>disabling the gpm .....
>It's still not working. When I run startx, the X window pops up,
>THere is just no responding from the mouse at all, without any message.
>Somebody please  help.
>Thanks!

1. Bus Mouse - MS Inport Bus mouse will not work

I have an MS InPort Mouse. It is from an early vintage, a "Dove Bar" SN
1177542.
I have it hardware configured at Interrupt 5.
The mouse works correctly under the DOS mouse driver and passes hardware
diagnostics.

I am Running RedHat Linux i386 v 5.2
I have read through and tried the combinations from the BusMouse-HOWTO
Specifically, I have booted with the LILO parameter > linux bmouse=5
Startup messages confirm that interrupt 5 is assigned to the bus mouse:
"Logitech bus mouse detected, using IRQ 5" Followed by:
"ATI Inport Bus mouse detected and installed."
gpm gives an error on startup " gpm: /dev/mouse : Operation not supported by
device"
My /dev/mouse is a link to /dev/inport which is at major device number 10,
minor 2.
I have tried using XF86Setup and configuring the mouse as:
Busmouse, Microsoft, Logitech as suggested by the HOWTO

None of it works.
Any ideas making the little beast operate?

2. XFree86 3.1.1 and #9 Vision330 (S3764)

3. File Comparison command?

4. Is an InPort Mouse a Bus Mouse?

5. Stealth 64 Video VRAM 2mb PCI and MAG DX17F

6. Help with X and MS Inport Bus Mouse

7. problems using via82xx with 2.5.69

8. Inport Bus Mouse

9. Microsoft inport(bus) mouse behaves erratically.

10. inport bus mouse unrecognized

11. Help with X and MS Inport Bus Mouse

12. Slackware Linux 2.3 does not see Microsoft "Inport" Bus Mouse