RH 5.1 and IBM Aptiva Help!

Post by Terry Co » Sat, 21 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi ,

Just got a copy of RH 5.1 and a throwaway PC , So  I decide to put
Linux on it.

The Setup :

IBM Aptiva
486/66
8mg Ram
528mg HDD
floppy
quad CD
dos 6.22
windows for WGPS
Defragged and scandsk'd the drive
got 400mg hdd free

Problem:
I used rawrite to create a boot diskette , slapped it in the a: drive
and rebooted  it goes chugga chuga ....looks like its working then
nothing
......I'm stumped.
The a: drive is being read first in the boot up sequence!

Any help would be appreciated

Terry

RH 5.1 and IBM Aptiva Help!

Post by William H. Ba » Sat, 21 Nov 1998 04:00:00

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998 09:45:37 +1100, Terry Cox

>Hi ,

hello...

Quote:>Just got a copy of RH 5.1 and a throwaway PC , So  I decide to put
>Linux on it.

>The Setup :

>IBM Aptiva
>486/66
>8mg Ram
>528mg HDD
>floppy
>quad CD
>dos 6.22
>windows for WGPS
>Defragged and scandsk'd the drive
>got 400mg hdd free

>Problem:
>I used rawrite to create a boot diskette , slapped it in the a: drive
>and rebooted  it goes chugga chuga ....looks like its working then
>nothing
>......I'm stumped.
>The a: drive is being read first in the boot up sequence!

- any output on the floppy boot sequence? do you see anything?

- is the floppy reading the disk correctly?

- can you set the 'puter to boot from the CD? (can't remember if 5.1 does
this or not)...

Quote:

>Any help would be appreciated

>Terry

1. IBM Aptiva Install Help for RH 5.1

Hello all...has anyone had any experience installing RH 5.1 on an IBM
Aptiva 2139-SE7?  I just bought the machine recently and cannot handle
Win98.  I have to get rid of Win98 but I'm not sure if I can get support
for this machine.
The machine is a PII 450MMX
128MB RAM
16 GB HD
DVD ROM Drive
Internal Lucent Technologies Modem
Adaptec 2920 SCSI card
ATI RAGE 4MB Video card (on the motherboard)

Please CC me on any replies...

Thank you all...save me from Win98!!

Pankaj

2. tcpwrapper or gethostbyname problem?

3. Redhat 5.1 and IBM Aptiva Help!

4. Multicast address retrieval problem

5. Redhat 5.1 and IBM Aptiva?

6. unix: WARNING: fs_vcode: vcode overflow

7. RH 5.1 and Aptiva

8. Help: XConfig: ATI GX Mach 64 & Vivatron 1776 17"

9. RH 5.0 and IBM Aptiva Display Problem

10. installing RH on IBM Aptiva series

11. Linux (RH 5.1) and ibm.net using ppp and/or slip

12. Does anyone use IBM as ISP with RH 5.1?

13. IBM.net and RH 5.1