Major Hardware Problem!!

Major Hardware Problem!!

Post by David M. Carne » Sat, 06 May 2000 04:00:00



This isn't strictly a Linux specific problem, but I effects my Linux
box, too!

I have a Compaq Presario 4808 with the CD ROM drive that has no tray.
I.e., you just slip the CD ROM into the drive slot and it picks it up
(and swallows it?) and you're in business.

I ejected a CD earlier and didn't take it out immediately. The drive
sucked it back in and now it's holding it hostage! HELP!! How do I get
the CD out intact? (CD & drive, preferably).

David

 
 
 

Major Hardware Problem!!

Post by Dances With Cro » Sat, 06 May 2000 04:00:00


On Fri, 05 May 2000 21:59:28 -0400, David M. Carney

Quote:>This isn't strictly a Linux specific problem, but I effects my Linux
>box, too!

>I have a Compaq Presario 4808 with the CD ROM drive that has no tray.
>I.e., you just slip the CD ROM into the drive slot and it picks it up
>(and swallows it?) and you're in business.

>I ejected a CD earlier and didn't take it out immediately. The drive
>sucked it back in and now it's holding it hostage! HELP!! How do I get
>the CD out intact? (CD & drive, preferably).

Most distros have a little program called "eject" available.  If this
CD-ROM is on /dev/hdc, for example, you'd enter:
# eject /dev/hdc
et voil.  There's another way to do this using the cdrecord
program; "cdrecord -eject dev=/dev/sg0", but that requires a bunch of
other crud that you probably don't have installed if this isn't a CD-R(W).

No clue on the Lose9x side, unless you can right-click on whatever drive
letter the CD-ROM is and pull up a menu that has "Eject" as a choice.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid,
But only Light too dim for us to see      \#| as I have to run nothing but a
(Unless, of course, you're working with NT)\| burp in the butt.  --MegaHAL

 
 
 

Major Hardware Problem!!

Post by David M. Carne » Sun, 07 May 2000 04:00:00



> On Fri, 05 May 2000 21:59:28 -0400, David M. Carney

> >This isn't strictly a Linux specific problem, but I effects my Linux
> >box, too!

> >I have a Compaq Presario 4808 with the CD ROM drive that has no tray.
> >I.e., you just slip the CD ROM into the drive slot and it picks it up
> >(and swallows it?) and you're in business.

> >I ejected a CD earlier and didn't take it out immediately. The drive
> >sucked it back in and now it's holding it hostage! HELP!! How do I get
> >the CD out intact? (CD & drive, preferably).

> Most distros have a little program called "eject" available.  If this
> CD-ROM is on /dev/hdc, for example, you'd enter:
> # eject /dev/hdc
> et voil.  There's another way to do this using the cdrecord
> program; "cdrecord -eject dev=/dev/sg0", but that requires a bunch of
> other crud that you probably don't have installed if this isn't a CD-R(W).

> No clue on the Lose9x side, unless you can right-click on whatever drive
> letter the CD-ROM is and pull up a menu that has "Eject" as a choice.

> --
> Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
> There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid,
> But only Light too dim for us to see      \#| as I have to run nothing but a
> (Unless, of course, you're working with NT)\| burp in the butt.  --MegaHAL

Thanks, Matt. Already tried "eject". This is a "mechanical" problem, as the CD
ROM reads the CD in it just fine.

David

 
 
 

Major Hardware Problem!!

Post by ara.. » Sun, 07 May 2000 04:00:00




>> On Fri, 05 May 2000 21:59:28 -0400, David M. Carney

>> >This isn't strictly a Linux specific problem, but I effects my Linux
>> >box, too!

>> >I have a Compaq Presario 4808 with the CD ROM drive that has no tray.
>> >I.e., you just slip the CD ROM into the drive slot and it picks it up
>> >(and swallows it?) and you're in business.

>> >I ejected a CD earlier and didn't take it out immediately. The drive
>> >sucked it back in and now it's holding it hostage! HELP!! How do I get
>> >the CD out intact? (CD & drive, preferably).

>> Most distros have a little program called "eject" available.  If this
>> CD-ROM is on /dev/hdc, for example, you'd enter:
>> # eject /dev/hdc
>> et voil.  There's another way to do this using the cdrecord
>> program; "cdrecord -eject dev=/dev/sg0", but that requires a bunch of
>> other crud that you probably don't have installed if this isn't a CD-R(W).

>> No clue on the Lose9x side, unless you can right-click on whatever drive
>> letter the CD-ROM is and pull up a menu that has "Eject" as a choice.

>> --
>> Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
>> There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid,
>> But only Light too dim for us to see      \#| as I have to run nothing but a
>> (Unless, of course, you're working with NT)\| burp in the butt.  --MegaHAL

>Thanks, Matt. Already tried "eject". This is a "mechanical" problem, as the CD
>ROM reads the CD in it just fine.

>David

On the back of most cd-roms, rw,r, etc. is a small (pin sized) hole.
This hole was put in to allow access to the 'manual' eject just
in case something like this, or a power failure, happens.
However, be sure to check your manual for the drive or with the manufacturer
to be sure you use the right hole.
 
 
 

1. MAJOR MAJOR PROBLEMS

I have major problems - CAN YOU HELP - I tried to install LINUX on my pc from a
cover magazine.  It was supposed to write a root and boot disk but instead it wrote
to my C: drive-hard disk.  I have lost 1GB of Data and cannot no longer boot from
my hard disk.

I followed all the instructions and was also told that it would quite happily exist with
MSDOS.  What I actuallly typed was "/ROOTDSK1/UMSDS144" and  
"/BOOTDSK1/SCSI"

I have a 486DX33, with  an NCR PCI, SCSI 2 with the IDE and  FD controller all built
into the motherboard.  I have a 1.2GB SCSI MAXTOR Hard disk controlled by the
Inbuilt controller.

I am a student, I am in desperate need to get back in control of my PC.

I cannot no longer boot from my Hard Disk I can only use a floppy disk to boot from.
Any attempt to boot from my hard disk result in a vigourous read from the floppy
disk drive and at the same time it displays "L80808080808080808080808...."  
continuosly.

I have used FDISK to repartition the disk and FORMAT /S to format the disk
afterwards.  It still doesn't remedy it.

CAN YOU HELP ME - URGENTLY

Have I wrecked my system!!

How do I get back control.

Thanks for Helping

could you reply ASAP please all you LINUX GURU's

incidently I have NO KNOWLEDGE of LINUX.  Yes! I know I shouldn't have.  

THANKS, THANKS, THANKS ....

Wayne Taylor

2. Help with a LILO config

3. Major Hardware Mystery

4. strange errors using ATAPI cdrom drive... hw failure?

5. Major hardware change (mobo)

6. large integer divide/multiplication

7. Hardware Error - Major 8 - What is it?

8. Linux software RAID vs. hardware RAID

9. NEED MAJOR HELP MAJOR FAST!

10. Need MAJOR HELP MAJOR FAST

11. block-major...char-major...probs

12. HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE

13. FreeBSD Install *Major* Problem