Low sound output levels with TB Santa Cruz and ALSA...

Low sound output levels with TB Santa Cruz and ALSA...

Post by Orange Barre » Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:20:10

I just got a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card. I really like it. I'm
running it under kernel 2.4.29 with the ALSA 1.0.8 cs46xx drivers through
a pair of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 self-powered speakers. The sound is great
but I can't seem to get decent analog output levels. In order to get just
a moderate volume through the speakers, I have to turn the main volume on
them to the twelve-o-clock position (50%) and use the following alsamixer
settings:

Master - 60
PCM - 100
CD - 100
DAC - 100
External - ON

Needless to say, I have some profound issues with running the PCM, CD, and
DAC controls at 100% just to get a listenable audio volume. I've tried
changing the values of every other control in alsamixer, and none of them
change the output level of the card. When I was running the same config
from the onboard via82xx, output volume was, um, not an issue.

Is this just the nature of the Santa Cruz (or the ALSA drivers)? I've got
a pretty nice rig for sound, and I'd like to get the most out of it. Any
assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
OB

1. alsa, modprobe, lib/modules, and a turtle beach santa cruz sound card equals one confusing problem.

- I installed red hat 7.3 with kernel version 2.4.18.
- I have a turtle beach santa cruz sound card.
- I could get sound out of the analog/headphone jack by running
sndconfig, the  problem is, I need digital output to use my speakers.
- I ran ./configure, make, make install, snddevices with the alsa
driver 0.9 rc3.
- All of my existing modules were in /lib/modules/2.4.18-3.  More
specifically, the defalt sound modules are in
/lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/drivers/sound.  However, alsa created the
directory /lib/modules/2.4.18 and put its modules in
/lib/modules/2.4.18/misc
- When I do a modprobe or modinfo, it doesn't seem to find any modules
located in the /lib/modules/2.4.18.  I tried copying all of the alsa
modules from their new directory into the default directory, and when
I run a modprobe I get a lot of unresolved symbol errors, probably 30
or so.
- Also, I ran alsaconf and it created a new modules.conf for me, but
in the line "alias snd-card-0 snd-card-cs461x" it refers to a module
snd-card-cs461x which does not exist.  The closest thing to it is
snd-cx46xx.  I tried renaming it but I get the same unresolved symbol
errors.

so:
1) Why does alsa create its modules in /lib/modules/2.4.18 instead of
/lib/modules/2.4.18-3?  Did I do the right thing in copying them to
the default location?
2) What's the deal with snd-card-461x vs. snd-46xx
3) What is the cause of the "unresolved symbol" errors?
4) Is there anything else that I am missing?

I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me.

2. PPP deamon has died! (exit code = 127) - Using a winmodem.

3. status of TB Santa Cruz MIDI/joystick support ?

4. pppd not running ip-up

5. TB Santa Cruz Linux drivers...

6. Boot ROMs - what hardware?

7. Low sound level with TB Tahiti (not mixer related)

8. libraries for comp. AVS- modules

9. bad sound with Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (cs46xx)

10. Driver for Santa Cruz sound card???

11. sound cards: audigy or santa cruz

12. Santa Cruz sound card distortion

13. Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card problem