SCSI Tape Drive prob: mt says "No such device"

Post by al-.. » Mon, 16 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>  : hey,

>  : having problems getting 1.2.9 kernel to recognize a newly attached Exa-Byte
>  : 8200SX 8mm SCSI tape drive.  Cant be any scsi-id clashes. Recompiled kernel
>  : with scsi-tape support, its in there. Drive works fine from (gasp) DOS.
>  : Any help is appreciated!

>  : al-man

>    Have you tried booting with a tape in the drive?
>    My Wangtek isn't reconized, either, unless there is.

>  --

>  Graywolf
>  (Tom Rittenhouse)
>  -------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes, tried booting with the 8mm tape in.  Have recieved emails from two others with
8mm scsi tape drive not recognized woes.  Can some who has a 8mmm scsi tape working
share the magic incantations required??

al-man

Post by Mark Cudwor » Mon, 16 Oct 1995 04:00:00

> yes, tried booting with the 8mm tape in.  Have recieved emails from two others with
> 8mm scsi tape drive not recognized woes.  Can some who has a 8mmm scsi tape working
> share the magic incantations required??

No icantations were required to get my Exabyte 8025 working. I just plugged it
in to the end of my SCSI cable, corrected the termination of the old "end
device", and did a MAKEDEV for st0. No problems.

        Mark Cudworth

Post by Owen He » Tue, 17 Oct 1995 04:00:00

> >  : having problems getting 1.2.9 kernel to recognize a newly attached Exa-Byte
> >  : 8200SX 8mm SCSI tape drive.  Cant be any scsi-id clashes. Recompiled kernel
> >  : with scsi-tape support, its in there. Drive works fine from (gasp) DOS.
> >  : Any help is appreciated!

> >  : al-man

Hey al-man...

I see two possibilities: 1) did you rerun lilo to install the kernel
with scsi tape support (I sometimes forget this and bang my head
against a wall for awhile :-))  and 2) do you have the proper devices
in /dev/ to handle scsi tape?  You need st0 and nst0 in /dev or you'll
get that message, I think.  Check out the SCSI-HOWTO to get the proper
major and minor numbers for the devices.  Alternatively, you could
just use MAKEDEV /dev/*st* and you *should* get all the devices made
properly (the howto says it should work, but isn't too sure
itself...;-)).

Good Luck

Bret

PS: just thought of a third possibility: does your SCSI card's bios
detect the tape drive at boot (i.e. before the kernel starts booting)?
Is the drive properly terminated? If this is your only external drive,
you may need to terminate the tape drive and *un*terminate your SCSI card.

 Technical Director, WebNet Technologies      URL: http://www.wn.com
 Voice/FAX: 214.821.0848                      Pager: 214.816.0283