How to re-read Partition Table ??

Post by Aung Thure » Sat, 20 Oct 2001 16:50:43

Hello,

I have created a new partition with /usr/sbin/cfdisk.

After that I tried to /sbin/mke2fs that new partition.

But I got an error message saying that "I need to reboot or re-read
the partiton table"

Can anyone tell me how can I have my machine re-read the partiton
table without rebooting?

My machine is RH7.1 with original 2.4 kernel.  i386 with IDE HDD.

TIA

Aung

How to re-read Partition Table ??

Post by Daniel Kenzelman » Sat, 20 Oct 2001 19:43:51

try sync ?

TripleD

Post by Eric P. McC » Sun, 21 Oct 2001 01:31:51

> I have created a new partition with /usr/sbin/cfdisk.
> After that I tried to /sbin/mke2fs that new partition.
> But I got an error message saying that "I need to reboot or re-read
> the partiton table"
> Can anyone tell me how can I have my machine re-read the partiton
> table without rebooting?

Sometimes it's not possible to reread the partition table without
rebooting.  I'm not 100% clear on the exact circumstances which
prevent it from working, but if, for example, another partition on the
same disk is mounted, that will probably cause the error.

--

"I woke up this morning and realized what the game needed: pirates,
pimps, and gay furries."  - Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka

How to re-read Partition Table ??

Post by Dances With Cro » Sun, 21 Oct 2001 09:35:13

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 16:31:51 GMT, Eric P. McCoy staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

>> I have created a new partition with /usr/sbin/cfdisk.  After that I
>> tried to /sbin/mke2fs that new partition.  But I got an error message
>> saying that "I need to reboot or re-read the partiton table" Can
>> anyone tell me how can I have my machine re-read the partiton table
>> without rebooting?

>Sometimes it's not possible to reread the partition table without
>rebooting.  I'm not 100% clear on the exact circumstances which prevent
>it from working, but if, for example, another partition on the same
>disk is mounted, that will probably cause the error.

You cannot umount the partition that contains / , so if you change the
partition table of the disk that contains / , you will have to reboot
afterwards before you start mkfsing.  This is why I like to make changes
to disks where / is by using Tom's RootBoot or a similar rescue-type
system, since in these, / is on a RAMdisk and there's no problem with
mangling any disk's partition table.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

How to re-read Partition Table ??

Post by Aung Thure » Sun, 21 Oct 2001 11:21:34

Hi,

Thanks for taking your time to reply my question.

The other Sysadmin rebooted the box while I was away.

Aung

1. 2.4.18: Re-read table failed with error 16: Device or resource busy - error

-

2. Compaq S3ViRGE?

3. How to read a Win95-partition with partition table with errors.

4. SSL Apache servers

5. ATI ALL in Wonder

6. How to make sendmail re-read the configuration file

7. Microsoft Incredibly Sorry

8. Re-read httpd.conf in Apache??

9. [6/6] Always re-read vendor for each function

10. Problems with ftape-0.9.6: cannot re-read

11. How to have Linux re-read all the configuration file without reboot?

12. How to re-read /etc/profile file at ksh without logout