Disk clean on bootup, fsck says it's not clean

Disk clean on bootup, fsck says it's not clean

Post by Joseph Mac » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I have a 2G IDE drive, which the boot procedure declares
is clean on mounting. However when logged in, fsck declares
that the disk has not been cleanly unmounted and then
finds all sorts of errors in the disk. On rerunning
fsck, I find more. Eventually there are no more errors,
I reboot, the disk is declared clean on mounting, and
then back in user mode, fsck finds it not clean again.

Is the disk hosed?

I assume it is hosed and accumulating errors and
presumably has errors on shutdown. So why is the disk
being marked clean on shutdown, if it has errors?

thanks
Joe
--
Joseph Mack, SysAdmin, Applied Reasoning, Java & Smalltalk Developers
Cary, NC, 27511, USA. ph (919)-851-7677 (voice), (919)-851-9297 (FAX)

Post by ra.. » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

: I have a 2G IDE drive, which the boot procedure declares
: is clean on mounting. However when logged in, fsck declares
: that the disk has not been cleanly unmounted and then
: finds all sorts of errors in the disk. On rerunning
: fsck, I find more. Eventually there are no more errors,
: I reboot, the disk is declared clean on mounting, and
: then back in user mode, fsck finds it not clean again.

From your post it seems that you are running fsck over a mounted
filesystem. If that is the case, then fsck is correct when it says
that the filesystem wans't cleanly umounted: it is still mounted!

You are not supposed to run fsck over a mounted filesystem. It is
likely that fsck will find errors in that scenario, because the kernel
has not updated its modifications to the filesystem.

-My opinions only