Odd SCSI detection problem - NCR controller, CONNER harddrive

Odd SCSI detection problem - NCR controller, CONNER harddrive

Post by Jack Llo » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to install RH 4.2 and am having trouble getting my root disk
detected.  I have an NCR53c825 SCSI controller and a CONNER CFP2107W HD.  On
boot up, I get this shortly after the CPU is checked and the floppy drive is
found:

        scsi: 0 hosts.
        scsi: detected total.
        Partition check:
            incomplete literal tree
        invalid compressed format (err=1)VFS: canot open root device 08:01
        kernal panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:01

The odd thing is, during the setup program, the SCSI controller and HD were
found without a hitch and the installation went fine.  It's only on the first
attempt at booting from the HD that I run into this problem.

www.redhat.com says that NCR53cXXX controllers are partially supported in 4.2
and 5.1; it doesn't say much else.  Does anyone know if NCR is supported a
little better in 5.2?

From what I can make of it, the SCSI HOW-TO doesn't have much to say about
'825's specifically.  All problems documented in there would seem to occur
during installation.  The only one I'm not sure about is a possible ethernect
card conflict.  I have a 3Com 3C590 (PCI version of the '509).  The HOW-TO
said something about an autodetect conflict with that model and SCSI
controllers, but I'm thinking I would've seen that during install.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

--
Jack