Lucent Venus modem worked for about 1/2 hour then stopped working

Lucent Venus modem worked for about 1/2 hour then stopped working

Post by Ken Blo » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 20:00:36



I purchased a Lectron I56LVP-F3 modem today at Frys electronics and
installed it in my computer which dual-boots Mandrake 8.1 and Windows
2000. For about 1/2 hour after installing the modem, I was able to
successfully connect to the internet using this modem, and HardDrake
would cooperate with the modem. As I was experimenting with various
different utilities to initiate a PPP connection to my provider, at
some point the modem suddenly stopped working and HardDrake started to
believe it was a winmodem. I reinstalled Mandrake 8.1 (for lack of any
better idea what to do) to no avail. Mandrake still thinks my Venus
modem is a winmodem.

I did not have to perform the setserial command to make the modem work
correctly, (harddrake got that right automatically when the modem was
working, and it still seems to be getting it right) and I did not have
to install any drivers to get it to work for that 1/2 hour. But it
doesn't work anymore, even after a reinstall of the system.

Any ideas how to make it work?

 
 
 

Lucent Venus modem worked for about 1/2 hour then stopped working

Post by Scott Hepple » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 22:21:12


I am having the same problem with Mandrake 8.1. See post 12/19/01 03:13pm.  
I am using a PC Card modem that has DSP and an board controller in a
Fujitsu C350 laptop.  I tried to install other drivers with DrakeX and it
won't let me.  I have focused on trying to verify that I have a "hardware
modem" as harddrake choose the lucent 56K winmodem driver.  It sounds like
you have a hardware modem if it worked initially without a driver.  My
modem was just released and although advertized to support linux the
support people have not been able to provide even type of lucent chipset is
uses.  This is making me wonder if there is a glitch in Mandrake 8.1
forcing the use of a linmodem driver for a hardware modem.  I don't have an
answer yet.  If I find something I'll let you know.

> I purchased a Lectron I56LVP-F3 modem today at Frys electronics and
> installed it in my computer which dual-boots Mandrake 8.1 and Windows
> 2000. For about 1/2 hour after installing the modem, I was able to
> successfully connect to the internet using this modem, and HardDrake
> would cooperate with the modem. As I was experimenting with various
> different utilities to initiate a PPP connection to my provider, at
> some point the modem suddenly stopped working and HardDrake started to
> believe it was a winmodem. I reinstalled Mandrake 8.1 (for lack of any
> better idea what to do) to no avail. Mandrake still thinks my Venus
> modem is a winmodem.

> I did not have to perform the setserial command to make the modem work
> correctly, (harddrake got that right automatically when the modem was
> working, and it still seems to be getting it right) and I did not have
> to install any drivers to get it to work for that 1/2 hour. But it
> doesn't work anymore, even after a reinstall of the system.

> Any ideas how to make it work?


 
 
 

Lucent Venus modem worked for about 1/2 hour then stopped working

Post by Ken Blo » Sun, 23 Dec 2001 04:51:45



> I purchased a Lectron I56LVP-F3 modem today at Frys electronics and
> installed it in my computer which dual-boots Mandrake 8.1 and Windows
> 2000. For about 1/2 hour after installing the modem, I was able to
> successfully connect to the internet using this modem, and HardDrake
> would cooperate with the modem. As I was experimenting with various
> different utilities to initiate a PPP connection to my provider, at
> some point the modem suddenly stopped working and HardDrake started to
> believe it was a winmodem. I reinstalled Mandrake 8.1 (for lack of any
> better idea what to do) to no avail. Mandrake still thinks my Venus
> modem is a winmodem.

> I did not have to perform the setserial command to make the modem work
> correctly, (harddrake got that right automatically when the modem was
> working, and it still seems to be getting it right) and I did not have
> to install any drivers to get it to work for that 1/2 hour. But it
> doesn't work anymore, even after a reinstall of the system.

> Any ideas how to make it work?

I think I solved it. Using the following system for my net
connections: a netup script (starts wvdial) and a netdown script
(kills wvdial), I created a third script, netreset, that resets the
modem using an ATH command.

% cat ~/bin/netreset
#! /bin/tcsh
cat << ENDOFRESET
+++
ATH
ENDOFRESET
%

This fixes the modem and allows me to use netup (a thin wrapper for
wvdial) to connect to the internet. I haven't tried seeing if the
problem is just the need for a +++, or whether it works to put this
stuff in my wvdial.conf

I didn't revisit HardDrake to see if it thinks the modem is
controllerful or not. I don't think it really matters. Although
HardDrake may still think that my modem is a Winmodem, HardDrake
doesn't have any say over how I connect to the internet, so it
certainly doesn't interfere.