"probable hardware bug"?

Post by Stephen Speiche » Tue, 14 May 2002 01:11:21

I installed RedHat 7.2 on my new Pentium 4 2Ghz machine, and
using dmesg I was just glancing through the boot up messages, and
noticed this one:

probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost - probably a VIA686a motherboard.
probable hardware bug: restoring chip configuration.

I have an ASUS P4B motherboard.

Anyone know what these messages mean? Should I be concerned?

--
Stephen

A sign in Munich: "Heisenberg might have slept here."

Printed using 100% recycled electrons.
~

"probable hardware bug"?

Post by Eric P. McC » Tue, 14 May 2002 03:17:33

[...]

Quote:> -------------------------------------------
> probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost - probably a VIA686a motherboard.
> probable hardware bug: restoring chip configuration.
> I have an ASUS P4B motherboard.
> Anyone know what these messages mean? Should I be concerned?

It sounds like a spurious warning.  You might be able to get it to go
away by compiling out all the junk that typically is included in
distro-build kernels.

I have an ASUS P4B266-C motherboard and don't get this message, and I
have fewer problems than on my older 440GX machine (no AGP lockups!).
I assume you also have the i845 chipset, and not something by VIA?

--

"Last I checked, it wasn't the power cord for the Clue Generator that
was sticking up your ass." - John Novak, rasfwrj

"probable hardware bug"?

Post by Stephen Speiche » Tue, 14 May 2002 04:58:33

> [...]
> > probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost - probably a VIA686a motherboard.
> > probable hardware bug: restoring chip configuration.

> > I have an ASUS P4B motherboard.
> > Anyone know what these messages mean? Should I be concerned?

> It sounds like a spurious warning.  You might be able to get it to go
> away by compiling out all the junk that typically is included in
> distro-build kernels.

My interest is not in making the message go away, but rather in
determing whether or not I have a motherboard problem.  I should
have mentioned that the message in Lunux started after an aborted
reboot telling me that some sort of clock error had occurred
while booting.

Quote:> I have an ASUS P4B266-C motherboard and don't get this message, and I
> have fewer problems than on my older 440GX machine (no AGP lockups!).
> I assume you also have the i845 chipset, and not something by VIA?

Yes, the literature indicates the Intel 845 chipset.

--
Stephen

A sign in Munich: "Heisenberg might have slept here."

Printed using 100% recycled electrons.
~

1. kernel error "probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost - probably a VIA686a"

Greetings,

Another message which shows up in my /var/log/message file:
Jul 29 17:28:44 brama kernel: probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost - probably a VIA686a.
Jul 29 17:28:44 brama kernel: probable hardware bug: restoring chip configuration.

I was backing up content to tape using the following command when it happened:
tar xvf /dev/nht0 largeamounts of content

Any guidance or remedies in correcting this would be appreciated.

I am running the latest kernel available to RH6.2:
2.2.19-6.2.7smp

The system consists of 2 800 Mhz PIII's, 2 20GB HDs (not running RAID with most
content and user partitions on one disk; /var, /usr on the other) 512MB RAM.

Max Pyziur

2. WinLinux booting "The Grafics engine (x-server)was not started correctly

4. [patch] amd athlon cooling on kt266/266a chipset

5. probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost"

6. SMC Ethernet card problem.

8. Problems with NIC after Redhat 6.0 install

9. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

10. "System too big" & details on console.c "Illegal asm or bug".

11. Bug in ksh 88[df] "print -u2" and/or "read" statement.

12. "segfault in netstat" or "how to submit a bug"

13. Bug in ksh 88[df] "print -u2" and/or "read" statement?