insmod problems

Post by Mike Ker » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

    I'm installing a 3Com 3c509b driver on my Red Hat 5.1(kernel version
2.0.34-0.6) machine. The module is sitting in the
/lib/modules/2.0.34-0.6/net/ directory, but when I try to install it I
get the message "a module named 3c509 already exists."
   I tried using rmmod to uninstall the mod and then tried insmod again,
but got the same message.
   Also, in a directory called /lib/modules/prefered/net/ there also
exists a bunch of modules, the 3c509.o module included. I don't know if
it's affecting(either positvely or negatively anything.
   Any ideas?
   Thanks.
   Mike.

1. linux tcp/ip stack as a module...insmod problems

Hi,
I am trying to implement the whole tcp/ip  stack (below the INET
socket layer) as a module . Do not confuse this with setting the "m"
option during "make xconfig"....
I am attempting to build a custom stack which i can change at will...

My approach:
I thought of using all the code of the linux stack as a starting
point. I copied all .c files from /usr/src/linux/net/ipv4 to a
separate directory
Then i compiled each file (gcc -D__KERNEL__ -c ...) and got the
coresponding object file. I also wrote a dummy .c file which contained
the init_module and cleanup_module functions. Then i linked all these
object files together.

My Problem:
When i try to insmod the resulting .obj file, i get the error
"couldn't find the kernel version the module was compiled for".
This happens even if i turn off kernel versioning while building the
kernel.
what could be the problem?

-chinmay

2. Advice Wanted...

3. insmod problem

4. Can Linux Support PCMIA

5. insmod problems

6. Mootif from InfoMagic.

7. !!Need script to email me when a processes state is stopped...

8. insmod problems in Mandrake 6.1

9. Linux insmod problem

10. Network card/insmod problems

11. ****** insmod problem *********