Kernel says "eth0: reset did not complete in 10 ms."

Kernel says "eth0: reset did not complete in 10 ms."

Post by Lars Luthma » Sun, 16 Sep 2001 07:07:32

Whenever I try to download something big from a fast server my internet
connection dies and I can't restart the eth0 interface.

My network card is a D-Link DFE 530TX, and I'm using kernel 2.4.3 and the
via-rhine driver.

When I look in /var/log/kernel/errors, I find these lines:

Sep 14 21:51:03 catv-213-100-34-201 kernel: eth0: reset did not complete in
10 ms.
Sep 14 21:51:47 catv-213-100-34-201 last message repeated 4 times

Does anyone know what the problem is?

--ll

1. I say "Hello" Linux says "Goodbye" ... aaarghhh

Hello all,
after much blood, sweat, tears and swearing I got Linux running on a
Compaq 386/20. It has 10MB RAM, about 1GB disk space and a CD-ROM.
It recently gone on the internet as an ftp resource.

Everything worked fine at first but now Telnet & ftp have become unreliable.
When they work, they work fine. However when they don't:

- FTP session
  Open <symbolic address> says:

  "Connected to <Symbolic address>"
  "Escape character is '^]'."
  "Connection closed by foreign host."

- Telnet session

  "Connected to <Symbolic address>"
  "421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection"

  and drops me back to the Linux prompt.

It does this regardless of the client (DOS, Windows, Mac or Un*x).
Ping finds the box and since it sometimes works I'm a bit stuck on
what to try next. I've tried "kill -HUP <inetd PID>". The damn
thing is visible and connect-to-able...

Our campus uses nameservers and I've included four in resolv.conf.
Name resolution uses "named" nameservers first. (Order bind, host
in host.conf).

I've just tried *again* and ... then damn thing is now working!!!
I have a few ideas but don't know how to test them, they are:

- Could it be something is timing out (our network is very busy
  and slow quite often) ? How do I confirm this ?

- Could it be some connection limit (shouldn't be, it's very rare
  that more than one person are connected at once).
  Where is this info held ?

- Could it be a name resolution funny (would "host" help here ?).
  Can I test this ?

- Could it be the first Telnet request(s) fail until some
  sort of dynamic table somewhere is updated ?

- Is inetd not loading telnetd for some reason ?

I've checked that the symbolic name and IP number are correct.
The system does a reboot (via a cron script) but this is
identical to another (486) Linux box which works fine ...

I've read books, scanned FAQs etc. but don't really know
where I can sensibly look next. I don't expect answers,
just suggestions of what/where to looknext.
I apologise if this is a trivial or stupid question, I'm
an acting sysadmin with my "L" plates still on ...

Also, another query:
Where is lpd loaded at boot-time ?
Can it safely be *not* loaded to save CPU and RAM ?
(the machine doesn't have a printer attached).

Thanks in advance for any information/suggestions,
   Andy.

2. printer setup problem

3. "eth0" vs. "eth0:1"

4. Questions about Linux Installations

5. eth0 and eth1 "Delaying eth0 Initialization" and "Delaying eth1 Initialization" errors

6. Free Internet Access World Wide

8. Need help setting up Linux box to print on Novell network

9. sh says: test "$1" = "" when $1="-b"

10. "Port mapper on server 10.10.254.75 is not responding"

12. "Watchdog reset" during Solaris 8 installation on SPARC 10

13. Made e2fs filesystem, mount still says "fs type ntfs not supported by kernel"