scan disk for file systems

Post by Steve Fei » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I lost the hard drive label. In order to read the hard drive I put it
in a different computer.  There were only two partitions on the drive
an ext2 and swap space.  I assume that if I were to use fdisk and type
in the correct values for the partition table that I could recover the
ext2 file system.  I was hoping that there was a program that I could
use that would scan the /dev/dhb device to find the start of a (ext2)
file system.  I would then be able to know where the file systems
started and stopped.

Ps. Please excuse me if this is a re/cross post. I thought I posted it
five hours ago. I could not find it anywhere.

 Steven Feil               | Gram-pa, back at the turn of the      .~.
 Programmer/Developer      | century, why did people use an        /V\

                           | allowed to see the source code?      (X_X)

scan disk for file systems

Post by Randy Olinge » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Unless the hard drive is dead, the partition table should be still
available on the 2nd computer.  Just type fdisk /dev/hdb and
use the 'p' command to view the table.
Randy

> I lost the hard drive label. In order to read the hard drive I put it
> in a different computer.  There were only two partitions on the drive
> an ext2 and swap space.  I assume that if I were to use fdisk and type
> in the correct values for the partition table that I could recover the
> ext2 file system.  I was hoping that there was a program that I could
> use that would scan the /dev/dhb device to find the start of a (ext2)
> file system.  I would then be able to know where the file systems
> started and stopped.

> Ps. Please excuse me if this is a re/cross post. I thought I posted it
> five hours ago. I could not find it anywhere.

>  Steven Feil               | Gram-pa, back at the turn of the      .~.
>  Programmer/Developer      | century, why did people use an        /V\

>                            | allowed to see the source code?      (X_X)

1. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux

    Some time ago I was involved in discussion on this news group regarding the
design of a new file system for Linux.  The main aim is to support dynamic size
changing by adding/removing partitions from the file system at run time without
interrupting processes that are using the file system.  Another major feature is
logging so that a system crash or power failure can be recovered from without
data loss or an excessive amount of time spent running FSCK.

  This project is now going ahead, if you are interested then please load up the
following URL: http://www.virtual.net.au/~rjc/enh-fs.html

Russell Coker

2. DEFAULT CATCH!

3. scan disk for files tool

4. X solves Tangent of 90 degrees?????

5. File system scanning program available

6. Netscape Alignment help!

7. how to scan file system

8. Windoze 95 ( Want a Mac Interface..?..get a Mac.)

9. root disk file system and nfs server from boot/root disks.

10. root disk file system type and nfs server from boot/root disks.

11. Swap+File System on IDE: One Fast Disk or Two Disks?

12. System disk crash - how to recover other disk's files?

13. System sees all file systems, but not the disk itself.