Matrox Millenium II crashes system!

Post by Oliver Stahlhu » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi there!

We have severe trouble with 7 of our Linux-boxes equipped with Matrox
Millenium II, 2 Pentium II/233, ASUS Motherboard with on-board Adaptec
2940UW.

On average every 10th time starting the XServer (XFree86 3.3.2),
switching to console or changing resolution of the desktop the
graphiccard shuts down (no sync) and crashes the machine (no access via
net, etc) - RESET!

Has anyone else experienced such behaviour with the named hardware - or
any success stories ??

Thanx for any answer

        Oliver

--
/*
      Oliver Stahlhut - Universitaet Hannover

      http://www.tnt.uni-hannover.de/~stahlhut/
*/

Post by Badlan » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

: Hi there!

: We have severe trouble with 7 of our Linux-boxes equipped with Matrox
: Millenium II, 2 Pentium II/233, ASUS Motherboard with on-board Adaptec
: 2940UW.

: On average every 10th time starting the XServer (XFree86 3.3.2),
: switching to console or changing resolution of the desktop the
: graphiccard shuts down (no sync) and crashes the machine (no access via
: net, etc) - RESET!

Odd...

: Has anyone else experienced such behaviour with the named hardware - or
: any success stories ??

I am using a Millenium II 4M PCI card, and I am very happy with it, and
have had no similar problems.

I think XFree86 v.3.3.1 didn't fully support this card, but v.3.3.2 which
just came out supports it better (??)  The FAQ said that if anyone has any
problems with this card now, to write them a bug report, so, maybe you
should try that?

About all I can do is tell you how mine is setup, but yours will be
diffrent (probably not the same monitor).

http://cgsa.chem.und.nodak.edu/~current/video.html

Set with:
http://cgsa.chem.und.nodak.edu/~current/XF86Config.txt

that's some info on how I have mine set, but I uped the dotclock to 106
now and retuned it a little.

This is old, but has a list of all the other hardware if you need it for
referance.
http://cgsa.chem.und.nodak.edu/~current/hardware.html

Sorry I can't help more than that...
--
+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+

{ Operation Countersign Senior Editor                Choice of      +
+ http://countersign.home.ml.org                 The GNU Generation {

Quote:} http://cgsa.chem.und.nodak.edu/~current/badlandz  personal URL    +

+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+

Matrox Millenium II crashes system!

Post by christia » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

i have had this problem.  do the following:

add "VideoRam  4096"  in the Device section of your XF86config (if they
are 4 Meg boards).  Alsto go to www.xfreee86.org and read all of the
specific information on the Millenium II, but beware, you will have to
search for it quite a bit.

good luck,

christian klein

> Hi there!

> We have severe trouble with 7 of our Linux-boxes equipped with Matrox
> Millenium II, 2 Pentium II/233, ASUS Motherboard with on-board Adaptec
> 2940UW.

> On average every 10th time starting the XServer (XFree86 3.3.2),
> switching to console or changing resolution of the desktop the
> graphiccard shuts down (no sync) and crashes the machine (no access via
> net, etc) - RESET!

> Has anyone else experienced such behaviour with the named hardware - or
> any success stories ??

> Thanx for any answer

>         Oliver

> --
> /*
>       Oliver Stahlhut - Universitaet Hannover
>                         Institut fr Theoretische Nachrichtentechnik
>                         und Informationsverarbeitung (TNT)

>       http://www.tnt.uni-hannover.de/~stahlhut/
> */

Matrox Millenium II crashes system!

Post by Paul Dav » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi there!

> We have severe trouble with 7 of our Linux-boxes equipped with Matrox
> Millenium II, 2 Pentium II/233, ASUS Motherboard with on-board Adaptec
> 2940UW.

> On average every 10th time starting the XServer (XFree86 3.3.2),
> switching to console or changing resolution of the desktop the
> graphiccard shuts down (no sync) and crashes the machine (no access via
> net, etc) - RESET!

I recollect that this question popped up here a couple of months ago.
Apparently there is a bug in the Millennium II bios which sometimes
causes the system to hang when it is probing the RAM.
I believe you need to add a line to your XF86Config with the *correct*
amount of memory, e.g.

       BoardName  "Millennium 2"
       VidoeRam    4096                      <------

-Paul

Post by Michael Meissne » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> We have severe trouble with 7 of our Linux-boxes equipped with Matrox
> Millenium II, 2 Pentium II/233, ASUS Motherboard with on-board Adaptec
> 2940UW.

> On average every 10th time starting the XServer (XFree86 3.3.2),
> switching to console or changing resolution of the desktop the
> graphiccard shuts down (no sync) and crashes the machine (no access via
> net, etc) - RESET!

> Has anyone else experienced such behaviour with the named hardware - or
> any success stories ??

Yes, according to various posts a few months ago, there is a problem in
auto-detecting how much memory the card has.  The work around is to explicitly
tell XFree86 how much video memory is installed.  The symptom is every so
often, the system will lock up.  Ever since I did this, I haven't had a lockup
with my 4 meg Millenium AGP card on my home system.  In the Device section add:

    VideoRam    4096

(replacing 4096 with 8192 if you have 8 meg instead of 4).

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions (Massachusetts office)
4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA

Post by Serguei Koubouchin » Sat, 20 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hi there!
> We have severe trouble with 7 of our Linux-boxes equipped with Matrox
> Millenium II, 2 Pentium II/233, ASUS Motherboard with on-board Adaptec
> 2940UW.
> On average every 10th time starting the XServer (XFree86 3.3.2),
> switching to console or changing resolution of the desktop the
> graphiccard shuts down (no sync) and crashes the machine (no access via
> net, etc) - RESET!
> Has anyone else experienced such behaviour with the named hardware - or
> any success stories ??

The same is here - either iPP-200MMX on ASUS without SCSI, or 2 x PPro200 on
QDI Commander IV with Mylex BT-958... System crashes and softdog does reboot
it in 60 seconds...

Serguei Koubouchine aka the Tamer < > The impossible we do immediately.

Post by Dana J. Laud » Sat, 20 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> > We have severe trouble with 7 of our Linux-boxes equipped with Matrox
> > Millenium II, 2 Pentium II/233, ASUS Motherboard with on-board Adaptec
> > 2940UW.

> > On average every 10th time starting the XServer (XFree86 3.3.2),
> > switching to console or changing resolution of the desktop the
> > graphiccard shuts down (no sync) and crashes the machine (no access via
> > net, etc) - RESET!

> > Has anyone else experienced such behaviour with the named hardware - or
> > any success stories ??

> The same is here - either iPP-200MMX on ASUS without SCSI, or 2 x PPro200 on
> QDI Commander IV with Mylex BT-958... System crashes and softdog does reboot
> it in 60 seconds...

You should make sure that you have the latest BIOS code.  Check outMatrox's web
site.  You'll have to do the bios update in DOS btw.

I don't have the Millenium, but I had problems with my Mystique
that were solved via the bios update.  It's worth a shot. ;-)

Dana

Post by Fred A. Mille » Sun, 21 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hi there!

> We have severe trouble with 7 of our Linux-boxes equipped with Matrox
> Millenium II, 2 Pentium II/233, ASUS Motherboard with on-board Adaptec
> 2940UW.

> On average every 10th time starting the XServer (XFree86 3.3.2),
> switching to console or changing resolution of the desktop the
> graphiccard shuts down (no sync) and crashes the machine (no access via
> net, etc) - RESET!

> Has anyone else experienced such behaviour with the named hardware - or
> any success stories ??

> Thanx for any answer

I know you don't want to hear this, but this is just one example of why
I won't use ASUS.  Have you tried turning OFF ALL caching in your
hardware setup?  See if that makes a difference.  IF it does, then turn
on all caching EXCEPT video.  On mother boards that "have problems,"
I've found that SOMETIMES this will fix this particular problem.

Fred

--
Fred A. Miller, Systems Administrator
Cornell Univ. Press Services

Post by Mark Vojkovi » Mon, 22 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>> Hi there!

>> We have severe trouble with 7 of our Linux-boxes equipped with Matrox
>> Millenium II, 2 Pentium II/233, ASUS Motherboard with on-board Adaptec
>> 2940UW.

>> On average every 10th time starting the XServer (XFree86 3.3.2),
>> switching to console or changing resolution of the desktop the
>> graphiccard shuts down (no sync) and crashes the machine (no access via
>> net, etc) - RESET!

>> Has anyone else experienced such behaviour with the named hardware - or
>> any success stories ??

>> Thanx for any answer

  It's bug in the Millennium II.  The workaround is to not let
XFree86 probe for how much video memory the card has:
        http://www.XFree86.Org/3.3.2/MGA4.html#4

It's rumored that the new Millennium II bioses (1.3 I think) don't
have this problem, though I haven't verified that myself.  Either way,
specifying the amount of video memory in the XF86Config fixes
the problem.

                        Mark.

Post by jw » Mon, 22 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>> Hi there!

>> We have severe trouble with 7 of our Linux-boxes equipped with Matrox
>> Millenium II, 2 Pentium II/233, ASUS Motherboard with on-board Adaptec
>> 2940UW.

>> On average every 10th time starting the XServer (XFree86 3.3.2),
>> switching to console or changing resolution of the desktop the
>> graphiccard shuts down (no sync) and crashes the machine (no access via
>> net, etc) - RESET!

>> Has anyone else experienced such behaviour with the named hardware - or
>> any success stories ??

>The same is here - either iPP-200MMX on ASUS without SCSI, or 2 x PPro200 on
>QDI Commander IV with Mylex BT-958... System crashes and softdog does reboot
>it in 60 seconds...

>Serguei Koubouchine aka the Tamer < > The impossible we do immediately.

It is said in certain circles that the memory-probing on the Mill II
is responsible for this. My crashes occur much less frequently since I
manually told XFree how much memory is in my card.

Try editing you XF86Config to this effect.

Greetings,
Jurriaan
"It was the Law of the Sea, they said.     Civilization ends at the waterline.
Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
        Hunter S. Thompson

Matrox Millenium II crashes system!

Post by Oliver Stahlhu » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for all the answers - the manual setting of the VideoRAM size
seem to have solved the problem. Well ... when i run xf86config it asks
for VRAM size and sets it in XF86Config - but that line is commented :P
.... so it was just a removal of the '#' on all machines.

        Oliver

--
/*

Post by Shaw Terwillige » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> On average every 10th time starting the XServer (XFree86 3.3.2),
> switching to console or changing resolution of the desktop the
> graphiccard shuts down (no sync) and crashes the machine (no access via
> net, etc) - RESET!

Besides not letting the server probe for RAM (as previously suggested),
I've found that HEAT contributes to this problem.  I have a dual P II box
running Linux, and I've been using the XFree 3.3.2 server for a while (before
that, the SuSE Matrox server), and I've been experiencing the same problems.

I've noticed that on warm days, when the internal temperature of the box is
high, the card has a tencency to lock more often.  I put a heatsink and
fan on my 3Dfx card (the PCI card directly above the Matrox M II), and the
M II locks up much less often on being probed.  I'm not saying the problem
is entirely due to heat, but it sure is exaggerated by it.  Previously,
maybe 1 of 10 loads would kill it (on warm days, no fan).  When the weather
started to cool down, it was 1 of 20 loads.  With the fan and cool weather,
it's about 1 of 100.  Now that it's warming up again, and with the fan, it's
about 1 of 50.

I'll try disallowing the auto-probe of the RAM on the card, but make sure
your machine isn't running extra hot inside.  :)

--

Matrox Millenium II crashes system!

Post by Ia » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> It's rumored that the new Millennium II bioses (1.3 I think) don't
> have this problem, though I haven't verified that myself.  Either way,
> specifying the amount of video memory in the XF86Config fixes
> the problem.

I had a crash after blowing my milII to 1.3, so I don't think these
rumours are founded. I've put the vidram amount in the Xfree startup
file, just to make sure.

--
Ian - Edit address before mailing. | Have you got a question you want to ask
     Running Linux in the UK.      | Usenet? Search www.dejanews.com first!

Post by Roger Troo » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> > It's rumored that the new Millennium II bioses (1.3 I think) don't
> > have this problem, though I haven't verified that myself.
> I had a crash after blowing my milII to 1.3, so I don't think these
> rumours are founded.

Same here!

--

Yours sincerely,

/ \oger /roost.  [ Member of Team OS/2, HUGO ]

1. XF86_SVGA server crash with Matrox Millenium II

Hi,

I have some problems with the XF86_SVGA server, version 3.3.2
My video card is a Matrox Millenium II PCI, 8MB
Furthermore, I currently run the Beta Hamm-distribution from Debian.

The server crashes regularly (once a day) with a signal 11 (SIGSEGV).
As far as I can remember it always occurs when I am using
netscape. Most of the time when the server crashes, I don't get the
console back, it just keeps on displaying the frozen X
session. However, the system is still fully alive: I can remotely
log in and even start another X session.

Does anybody else have a similar experience, and if so, is there a workaround
(One that still allows me to use netscape ;-)?

-Jeroen

2. limiting access to certain daemons

3. Matrox Millenium II AGP CRASH

4. back to X (F1-F12 already in use)

5. X + Matrox Millenium II + TVCard == CRASH

6. IPX support in DOSemu under Linux

7. Matrox Millenium II

8. Configurazione modem

9. x86 and Matrox Millenium II

10. Matrox Millenium II question ?

11. Matrox Millenium II 4MB PCI

12. Problem: Matrox Millenium II + XFree 3.3.2 SVGA-Server + MesaGL = deadly slow.

13. Matrox Millenium II AGP