Number 9 GXE64pro

Post by The Satanic Networ » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I have a Number 9 GXE64 Pro and I cannot seem to make it work with Xwindows
(redhat 5.2).
When I startx all I get is a blank screen and then I have to reboot the
machine to access it again.
Any suggestions.

Thanks

Number 9 GXE64pro

Post by David F » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a Number 9 GXE64 Pro and I cannot seem to make it work with Xwindows
> (redhat 5.2).
> When I startx all I get is a blank screen and then I have to reboot the
> machine to access it again.
> Any suggestions.

Install XFree86-S3?
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

Number 9 GXE64pro

Post by Michael Meissne » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> > I have a Number 9 GXE64 Pro and I cannot seem to make it work with Xwindows
> > (redhat 5.2).
> > When I startx all I get is a blank screen and then I have to reboot the
> > machine to access it again.
> > Any suggestions.

> Install XFree86-S3?

Actually if you upgraded your system and have an LX motherboard (or possibly
any new motherboard, but the LX motherboard bit me), the #9 GXE64 Pro video
card is not compatible with the motherboard.  When I upgraded my 90 Pentium Mhz
to a 233 Mhz Pentium-II, I used an LX motherboard, and discovered the problem.
I could not get either Windows nor XFree to work, but I could get Linux text
mode to work.  When I asked around, I discovered it was a known problem (but
obviously I had not seen any hint of it before upgrading the system).  I
finally went out and bought a Matrox Millenium-II video card.

Note, there are two drivers for the #9 card, the SVGA driver and the older S3.
As suggested by David Fox, you might try each one, to see if either will work.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions (Massachusetts office)
4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA

Number 9 GXE64pro

Post by David Jorda » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Have you 'semi-auto' / manually set up X for the card ...
i.e. Xconfigurator --card "Number Nine GXE64 Pro" ...

if you need the exact string try `Xconfigurator --help 2>&1 | more` and
scroll down through the mirriad of servers, cards and monitors you can
chhose from :-)

DJ

>> > I have a Number 9 GXE64 Pro and I cannot seem to make it work with
Xwindows
>> > (redhat 5.2).
>> > When I startx all I get is a blank screen and then I have to reboot the
>> > machine to access it again.
>> > Any suggestions.

>> Install XFree86-S3?

>Actually if you upgraded your system and have an LX motherboard (or
possibly
>any new motherboard, but the LX motherboard bit me), the #9 GXE64 Pro video
>card is not compatible with the motherboard.  When I upgraded my 90 Pentium
Mhz
>to a 233 Mhz Pentium-II, I used an LX motherboard, and discovered the
problem.
>I could not get either Windows nor XFree to work, but I could get Linux
text
>mode to work.  When I asked around, I discovered it was a known problem
(but
>obviously I had not seen any hint of it before upgrading the system).  I
>finally went out and bought a Matrox Millenium-II video card.

>Note, there are two drivers for the #9 card, the SVGA driver and the older
S3.
>As suggested by David Fox, you might try each one, to see if either will
work.

>--
>Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions (Massachusetts office)
>4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA

1. Refresh Rate with: Number 9 GXE64pro

Hello, sorry if this question has been answered before.

I have been running RedHat 5.0 for about two months now, and I love
it, EXCEPT for my display driver in X.  I am using a standard S3
driver cause there isn't one that I could find specificly for the
GXE64pro.  I am getting the color depth and resolution I want
(1024x768 at 32k or maybe 64k color- can't remember) BUT the refresh
rate is terrible.  It looks to me to be about 70hz or maybe even in
the 60's.  I can't stand to look at my screen for more than ten
minutes with out taking a long break.

I am kinda spoiled cause I've had my refresh rate at 81hz in Windows
before most people knew what refresh rates are.

Anyway, is there a utility to change the refresh rate in X? Is there a
better S3 driver or a GXE64pro specific driver?  I've seen those text
file monitor definitions in some of X's configuration files.  Are some
of those fields the refresh rate? My understanding was that the
refresh rate is a proprietary feature of each video card, but do S3
chips have a standard for setting the rate?

Another thing.  I found the xvidtune utility.  Is it supposed to set
refresh rates?  It will adjust my screen size, but I don't see a way
to set the overall refresh rate.

thanks
Anthony

2. pnp - C99 patch for drivers/pnp/card.c from Art Haas (11/13)

3. Number Nine....Number Nine....Number Nine

4. XC for NCR MP-RAS 3.01 Communication program???

5. 1152x864 mode with #9 GXE64Pro... How??

6. Makefile debugger?

7. Q: #9 GXE64Pro w/ interlaced monitor

8. koffice in other window managers

9. Problems with #9 GXE64Pro resolved?

10. Need XF86Config info for #9 GXE64Pro

11. x86 GXE64Pro > 1024x768 ghosting!?

12. XF86_S3 server only allows restricted resolutions for GXe64Pro?:

13. 'Wrapping' problem w/ GXE64pro