Suse 10 Installation Problems

Post by Bill Smit » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 00:57:51

I realize that this is the hardware forum but believe my installation
problems may be due to a conflict, etc with some hardware component.

While trying to install the 64-bit version of Suse 10 (burned from the DVD
iso), my screen goes blank immediately after selecting installation during
the boot screen and hitting enter. I tried doing the install with ACPI
disabled and then the safe mode install and got the same result.   The DVD
works fine on an HP AMD Athlon 64 X2 desktop, which has an ATI graphics
card.

I tried the 32-bit DVD and got to the installation setup only when I chose
the safe mode / text install.  However, shortly after the installation
began, the system locked up.  I tried again and got the same result.  More
interesting, is that during the hardware scan of the setup, everything was
recognized (including the video card)

For the sake of trying another distro, I tried Fedora Core 4 only to have it
just totally bomb out

I've never encountered this many problems before with a Linux install so not
sure where exactly the problem would lie other than likely with some
hardware component

Other than the video card, I have no other cards installed at the moment

The hardware configuration for the system in question is

Mobo - Asus A8R-MVP
Chipset - ATI Express 200 Crossfire
Graphics - Asus EAX300 PCIe card (Essentially Asus branded ATI card)
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Memory - 1 GB Kingston (2X512)
HDD - 1 Seagate 250 GB IDE and 3 WD 320 GB SATAII 16 MB cache

If any further specs are needed, I will post them.

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.

1. No networking when I reboot Suse 10 VMware installation.

First of all I'm not sure whether the problem is due to my limited
knowledge of Suse or whether it's a VMWare issue.

I have Suse 10.1 installed and running under VMWare Workstation on my
laptop. The problem is when I reboot the Linux server I cannot telnet
into it from my laptop.  The only way I can get it running is to go
into Yast > Network Services > Network Card, look at the card details
which are presented, click the Next button to complete.  After this I
can telnet into the server.  Unfortunately, the settings never survive
a reboot.
Any ideas what I am doing wrong?  xinetd is running when I
reboot.

btw I have VMWare configured as Host-only which is on VMNet1.

Thanks

Shaun

2. Novell server for Linux available ?

3. SUSE 10 installation

4. HELP NEED TOOLS

5. WTS: Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 and Suse Linux Enterprise Server 9

6. Newbie alert: don't count on Suse phone install support.

7. ultra 10 / solaris 10, keyboard not responding during installation

8. serial port 1

9. Suse 10-Sound Problem

10. Problems to connect suse 10 with a novell server

11. Networking problems with SuSE Enterprise Desktop 10

12. Suse 10 DNS, firewall, or masquerading problem?

13. L 10 10 10 10...