IBM Ultrawide SCSI drive warning

Post by Dennis J Perkin » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

If anyone is thinking of buying IBM's 4.5 GB ultrawide SCSI hard drive,
Ultrastar 34560, you will probably find yourself with the LVD version
instead of the usual single-ended drive.
   I tried to buy one from Aberdeen Inc.  When I complained that I had
received an LVD drive, I was told that the drives had been mistagged.
When the replacement drive also turned out to be an LVD, they told me
that IBM had quit making the single-ended version.  The LVD version can
be jumpered to work in single-ended mode, but it does not include
on-board termination.   Unfortunately, this was to be my first ultrawide
drive.  And I saw no reason to pay extra for a terminator because I knew
the version I had ordered did not need it.  Nor did they offer to give
me a drive that would work.  So I got a refund.

   Dirt Cheap Drives seemed to still be selling the model I wanted.  The
salesperson confirmed that it was not an LVD drive.  Well, I got an LVD
drive and the tech tells me that it's identical to the version I
ordered.  Except it's not.
--
  Dennis

IBM Ultrawide SCSI drive warning

Post by J. P » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>If anyone is thinking of buying IBM's 4.5 GB ultrawide SCSI hard drive,
>Ultrastar 34560, you will probably find yourself with the LVD version
>instead of the usual single-ended drive.
>   I tried to buy one from Aberdeen Inc.  When I complained that I had
>received an LVD drive, I was told that the drives had been mistagged.
>When the replacement drive also turned out to be an LVD, they told me
>that IBM had quit making the single-ended version.  The LVD version can
>be jumpered to work in single-ended mode, but it does not include
>on-board termination.   Unfortunately, this was to be my first ultrawide
>drive.  And I saw no reason to pay extra for a terminator because I knew
>the version I had ordered did not need it.  Nor did they offer to give
>me a drive that would work.  So I got a refund.

>   Dirt Cheap Drives seemed to still be selling the model I wanted.  The
>salesperson confirmed that it was not an LVD drive.  Well, I got an LVD
>drive and the tech tells me that it's identical to the version I
>ordered.  Except it's not.

I don't understand the big deal about it; why don't you just jumper it
as a single-ended drive, including the terminator jumper and you are
set?  That's what I did with my similar Quantum drive and have no
problem with it.  Then, once I see some SCSI DVD drives out there I
buy one and put that at the end of the UW cable with a terminator and
reset my HD to LVD drive.

Joe

IBM Ultrawide SCSI drive warning

Post by Dennis J Perkin » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I could not use the termination jumper because the LVD drive does not
have jumper termination.  The standard version did.  And UW terminators
cost $35-$50.
--
  Dennis

IBM Ultrawide SCSI drive warning

Post by J. P » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I could not use the termination jumper because the LVD drive does not
>have jumper termination.  The standard version did.  And UW terminators
>cost $35-$50.

Oh, really?  My Quantum Viking II. drive does have a terminator jumper
that is only usable if the drive is jumpered as a single-ended drive.
I agree though that those UW terminators cost an arm-and-a-leg.

Joe

1. Enabling SCSI-3 UltraWide mode on SCA drive

        I have a Quantum Atlas-II 34550W which has an SCA connector and a
        Diamond Fireport40 SCSI controller.  The controller fails to negotiate
        wide so it defaults back to narrow.  Since it is an SCA drive how can
        I tell the drive to enable ultrawide and thus get 40MB/s?

        The Fireport40 uses the ncr53c8xx driver.

        Thanks.

--

        Electrical Engineering,         All generalizations are bad.
        Colorado State University                  Who is John Galt?

2. Unintall and formating

3. IBM SCSI drives in non-IBM machines

4. TeX, SGML, and graphics?

5. probe-scsi not responding to IBM scsi drive

6. UNIX Developer for Datawarehousing in Alameda -- Contract

7. SCSI drives: Why have the IBM Ultrastar drives been so cheap?

8. WANTED: webstone ported to Solaris

9. SCSI ultrawide adapter for Linux

10. UltraWide SCSI Host Adapter & 100Mb ethernet on 2.5.1

11. problem installing Linux Lite on Ultrawide SCSI PC

12. Initio UltraWide SCSI adapters?

13. wide/ultrawide SCSI?