Adaptec AHA-2940U2W (AIC-7890)

Post by Chris Schule » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

    I have Slackware 3.5, and I typically would boot from the CD and proceed
to install (on my old scsi card (which is now dead)).  However w/ my new
2940u2w, this is not the case.  On boot off CD, the scsi card is not even
seen, linux does not recognize it.  I set out on a search for a new slack
boot/root disk image, and was unsuccessful (if you know where I can get one,
please tell me) but i did stubble across ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxxx
..and here i found kernel patchs and boot disks for the u2w card! alas...
only redhat and suse boot disks though :(.. I went a head and gave them a
shot, hoping i could boot the image, then dump out to a prompt and mount the
cd. and proceed, but i was not able to do this.  So, if anyone out there has
the solution for me, or atleast some helping hints please let me know.

Chris

Post by david kahan » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>     I have Slackware 3.5, and I typically would boot from the CD and proceed
> to install (on my old scsi card (which is now dead)).  However w/ my new
> 2940u2w, this is not the case.  On boot off CD, the scsi card is not even
> seen, linux does not recognize it.  I set out on a search for a new slack
> boot/root disk image, and was unsuccessful (if you know where I can get one,
> please tell me) but i did stubble across ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxxx
> ..and here i found kernel patchs and boot disks for the u2w card! alas...
> only redhat and suse boot disks though :(.. I went a head and gave them a
> shot, hoping i could boot the image, then dump out to a prompt and mount the
> cd. and proceed, but i was not able to do this.  So, if anyone out there has
> the solution for me, or atleast some helping hints please let me know.

> Chris

I think the boot/root disks should work no matter what distribution you
have. What exactly goes wrong when you do this. Is the 2940u2w
recognised by the new kernel? Do you get to the boot: prompt?

If so you probably want to say mount=/dev/sda? where /dev/sda?
is your old root partition. Then you ought to be in business ...
just apply the dialnet patches to your kernel and recompile.

good luck,

- dave k.

Adaptec AHA-2940U2W (AIC-7890)

Post by Chris Schule » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

David thanks for the reply....

        >I think the boot/root disks should work no matter what distribution
you
        >have. What exactly goes wrong when you do this. Is the 2940u2w
        >recognised by the new kernel? Do you get to the boot: prompt?

the suse boot disk did pick up the card but it then proceded to install
suse, or at least ask for the suse cd. i couldnt find a way to drop to a
prompt

        >If so you probably want to say mount=/dev/sda? where /dev/sda?
        >is your old root partition. Then you ought to be in business ...
        >just apply the dialnet patches to your kernel and recompile.

"old root partition". the  drive is blank. (sorry i did not clarify that)

>>     I have Slackware 3.5, and I typically would boot from the CD and
proceed
>> to install (on my old scsi card (which is now dead)).  However w/ my new
>> 2940u2w, this is not the case.  On boot off CD, the scsi card is not even
>> seen, linux does not recognize it.  I set out on a search for a new slack
>> boot/root disk image, and was unsuccessful (if you know where I can get
one,
>> please tell me) but i did stubble across

ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxxx
Quote:>> ..and here i found kernel patchs and boot disks for the u2w card! alas...
>> only redhat and suse boot disks though :(.. I went a head and gave them a
>> shot, hoping i could boot the image, then dump out to a prompt and mount
the
>> cd. and proceed, but i was not able to do this.  So, if anyone out there
has
>> the solution for me, or atleast some helping hints please let me know.

>> Chris

>I think the boot/root disks should work no matter what distribution you
>have. What exactly goes wrong when you do this. Is the 2940u2w
>recognised by the new kernel? Do you get to the boot: prompt?

>If so you probably want to say mount=/dev/sda? where /dev/sda?
>is your old root partition. Then you ought to be in business ...
>just apply the dialnet patches to your kernel and recompile.

>good luck,

>- dave k.

Adaptec AHA-2940U2W (AIC-7890)

Post by Reginald Hirs » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

On Fri, 2 Oct 1998 01:07:10 -0500, "Chris Schuler"

>    I have Slackware 3.5, and I typically would boot from the CD and proceed
>to install (on my old scsi card (which is now dead)).  However w/ my new
>2940u2w, this is not the case.  On boot off CD, the scsi card is not even
>seen, linux does not recognize it.  I set out on a search for a new slack
>boot/root disk image, and was unsuccessful (if you know where I can get one,
>please tell me) but i did stubble across ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxxx
>..and here i found kernel patchs and boot disks for the u2w card! alas...
>only redhat and suse boot disks though :(.. I went a head and gave them a
>shot, hoping i could boot the image, then dump out to a prompt and mount the
>cd. and proceed, but i was not able to do this.  So, if anyone out there has
>the solution for me, or atleast some helping hints please let me know.

>Chris

Chris just purchased Red Hat 5.1 and am running an adaptec 2940U2W of
course Red Hat notes 2940U2W unsupported.I am a novice at this but not
sure if you message means these patches would work for Red Hat as it
boots through or not.I apologize for the lack of knowledge on my part,
but would like to give linux an install on my scsi 2w drives using an
adaptec 2940u2w.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.

1. Looking for Adaptec AIC-7890 (aka AHA-2940U2W) driver

Does anyone know where I might find a Linux driver for the Adaptec AIC-7890
SCSI chipset?  It is the same SCSI chipset as on the AHA-2940U2W card.

--
-----
to reply, replace nospam in the email address with scott_palmer

2. Solaris2.6 & Bind 4.94 & resolv.conf

3. AHA-2940U2W / AIC-7890/91

4. Xtree (or something?) for linux??

5. Asus P2B-S motherboard with on-board Adaptec AIC-7890

6. about libresolv.so.2

7. Driver to Adaptec AIC-7890 con

8. swat/samba and pam

9. Adaptec AIC-7890 and BTLD's? HELP!

10. HELP: Adaptec AIC-7890

11. Adaptec AIC-7890 and HP SureStore T4

12. Help! Adaptec AIC-7890 SCSI Card

13. Adaptec AIC-7890?