modem thru modem to work?

Post by Jeff Roedige » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi all

Just got my non-winmodem modem and promptly erased all traces of windows
off the HD. did a clean install of Redhat 6.1 and fired up the modem
only to get  "no dial tone". Did all the standard checks and every thing
was fine. Tried the modem on my kids win98 box. same msg.

Just out of curiosity I ran the modem thru the phone jack  on the win
box and went from the winmodem to the wall jack.  And damned if it
didn't work. Anyone have any Ideas what's up.

It's a Bestdata 56SX

TIA
Jeff

modem thru modem to work?

Post by Sarang Lakar » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

do u hear the dial-tone? if so, then its a common problem. sometimes modems
are unable to detect dial tone. All you need to do is change the
initialization string. look up u're manual and find the command to ask the
modem not to detect dial tone and u're modem will work!

-sarang

> Hi all

> Just got my non-winmodem modem and promptly erased all traces of windows
> off the HD. did a clean install of Redhat 6.1 and fired up the modem
> only to get  "no dial tone". Did all the standard checks and every thing
> was fine. Tried the modem on my kids win98 box. same msg.

> Just out of curiosity I ran the modem thru the phone jack  on the win
> box and went from the winmodem to the wall jack.  And damned if it
> didn't work. Anyone have any Ideas what's up.

> It's a Bestdata 56SX

> TIA
> Jeff

Sarang Lakare
PhD student
Department of Computer Science
SUNY at Stony Brook

HOME  : (631) 216 2105
WORK  : (631) 632 8429

URL   : http://www.cs.sunysb.edu/~lsarang

modem thru modem to work?

Post by Jeff Roedige » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Sarang

Thanks for the tip! No, no dial tone when connected by itself. But I do get
the tone when I run it thru another modem, a winmodem at that! I need to go
throught the howto's  and other docs, I was just REALLY happy to finally get a
modem that would work with Linux. Running under it without one sux. Now I'll
Regards,
Jeff

> do u hear the dial-tone? if so, then its a common problem. sometimes modems
> are unable to detect dial tone. All you need to do is change the
> initialization string. look up u're manual and find the command to ask the
> modem not to detect dial tone and u're modem will work!

> -sarang

> > Hi all

> > Just got my non-winmodem modem and promptly erased all traces of windows
> > off the HD. did a clean install of Redhat 6.1 and fired up the modem
> > only to get  "no dial tone". Did all the standard checks and every thing
> > was fine. Tried the modem on my kids win98 box. same msg.

> > Just out of curiosity I ran the modem thru the phone jack  on the win
> > box and went from the winmodem to the wall jack.  And damned if it
> > didn't work. Anyone have any Ideas what's up.

> > It's a Bestdata 56SX

> > TIA
> > Jeff

> --
> Sarang Lakare
> PhD student
> Department of Computer Science
> SUNY at Stony Brook

> HOME  : (631) 216 2105
> WORK  : (631) 632 8429

> URL   : http://www.cs.sunysb.edu/~lsarang

modem thru modem to work?

Post by H Dziardzi » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000 10:07:11 -0500, Sarang Lakare

>do u hear the dial-tone? if so, then its a common problem. sometimes modems
>are unable to detect dial tone. All you need to do is change the
>initialization string. look up u're manual and find the command to ask the
>modem not to detect dial tone and u're modem will work!

>-sarang

>> Hi all

>> Just got my non-winmodem modem and promptly erased all traces of windows
>> off the HD. did a clean install of Redhat 6.1 and fired up the modem
>> only to get  "no dial tone". Did all the standard checks and every thing
>> was fine. Tried the modem on my kids win98 box. same msg.

>> Just out of curiosity I ran the modem thru the phone jack  on the win
>> box and went from the winmodem to the wall jack.  And damned if it
>> didn't work. Anyone have any Ideas what's up.

>> It's a Bestdata 56SX

>> TIA
>> Jeff

Don't know if this is the reason, some phone services (companies) have
a feature that requires a slight delay during the dialing phase- a
call waiting or the like thing that I can't recall the name of right
now.  I suspect that hooking up your real modem thru the win
modem adds enough passive (internal) electronics to create the
required delay,  As said above the solution is to eliminate the
modem's need for a dial tone prior to dialing.  There may be a setting
for this in your dialer (program) too.

Henry Dziardiel

1. Help: Modem doesn't work -- Compaq Presario 336-VSC Modem

I'm using a Compaq Presario 336-VSC Modem which works very well under
Win95. But it seemed that linux can't recognize it at all. When I run
kermit, I got an error message as follows,

C-Kermit> set line /dev/cua1
C-Kermit> /dev/cua1 is not a terminal device
C-Kermit> sorry, can't open connection to /dev/cua1

When I am trying setserial -a /dev/ttyS1, the irq(3) and port(0x02f8)
are ok but uart is UNKNOWN.

It's a fax-modem connected to COM2 and thus the device name should be
/dev/cua1 and /dev/ttyS1.

Could you please give me any idea about what is going wrong? Do I need
a special device driver?

Lizhan Yao

2. CHAP authentication.

3. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

4. Network Load Balancing

5. Modems, modems, modems

6. Is this newsgroup archived? (xdm)

7. Modem on 486 works 80%, other modem on K6-2 machine hiding - hints?

8. HFS+in Linux

9. Modem, modem, modem, ... setup

10. modems modems modems

11. Strange modem problem -- my modem no longer works in Linux

12. Modem, modem, modem

13. Where to find Kermit, X-Modem, Y-Modem, & Z-Modem Source