Root w/o Administrative privileges

Post by J. E. Maxwel » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hello,
    Running Indigo2 - 5.3, need to re-configure net IP addresses. I am
root, userid 0 etc! etc! - but do not have administrative privileges
when changes are to be made. Can't even execute a netstart.  What could
be causing this?
-Joe-

Post by Michael Ridl » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

: Hello,
:     Running Indigo2 - 5.3, need to re-configure net IP addresses. I am
: root, userid 0 etc! etc! - but do not have administrative privileges
: when changes are to be made. Can't even execute a netstart.  What could
: be causing this?
: -Joe-

If you want to change the IP address and reboot, you can just
modify it in /etc/hosts.  If you want to change it on the fly
you'll need to ifconfig it.  What do you mean you are root but
not administrator?  How is that possible under 5.3?  Are you
running Trusted IRIX?

-Michael

Root w/o Administrative privileges

Post by J. E. Maxwel » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi Michael,
    Thanks for the reply, I am not running Trusted IRIX, probably that's the
problem. I had change the IP addresses in the /etc/hosts file, it was saved
in the file fine. On reboot 2 messages appeared =>Failed to configure eco as
"hostname" - and - Cannot access primary interface eco as "hostname", and
then the system came up in standalone mode. Subsequent attemps to use the
System Manager interface, the Netstart toolbox utility, even though logged in
as root, ==> You do not have sufficient privilege to make this change, if you
are going to use this utility consult your Administrator.  So I've just
consulted myself, checked with the User Manager and root is the most
privileged person, apparently schizoid.

     What do you mean you are root but
     not administrator?  How is that possible under 5.3? That's what I
     was asking myself. Except that I'm using shadow passwd file - could
     that contribute to that.

There is another file, the /etc/config/ifconfig-option2, I think, with the
net mask and broadcast IP addresses, what really is the broadcast address? I
know that the mask has all 1 bits in the net part of the IP address, and the
broadcast has all one's in the host part, but what is the purpose of it, what
if an actual machine was assigned this number or is this another special
number.  Our campus has revamped it's complete IP address system so this
involves changes to everything and not just the machine's ID#'s. Thanks
again.
-Joe-

Post by Walter Robers » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

:    Thanks for the reply, I am not running Trusted IRIX, probably that's the
:problem. I had change the IP addresses in the /etc/hosts file, it was saved
:in the file fine. On reboot 2 messages appeared =>Failed to configure eco as
:"hostname" - and - Cannot access primary interface eco as "hostname", and
:then the system came up in standalone mode. Subsequent attemps to use the
:System Manager interface, the Netstart toolbox utility, even though logged in
:as root, ==> You do not have sufficient privilege to make this change, if you
:are going to use this utility consult your Administrator.  So I've just
:consulted myself, checked with the User Manager and root is the most
:privileged person, apparently schizoid.

The graphical utilities rely upon the objectserver database being correct.
The objectserver records for root are still stuck back on the old IP
address. You'll have to clean the objectserver database before you can
use the graphical utilities:

cd /etc/rc2.d; ./S97cadmin stop; ./S97cadmin clean; ./S97camdin start

:There is another file, the /etc/config/ifconfig-option2, I think, with the
:net mask and broadcast IP addresses, what really is the broadcast address? I
:know that the mask has all 1 bits in the net part of the IP address, and the
:broadcast has all one's in the host part, but what is the purpose of it, what
:if an actual machine was assigned this number or is this another special
:number.  Our campus has revamped it's complete IP address system so this
:involves changes to everything and not just the machine's ID#'s. Thanks
:again.

The broadcast address is a special number that you cannot assign a
regular machine to (at least not without the machine acting very very
strangely.) Sometimes it is necessary to send a message to "all local
computers" -- for example the message might be from the routers
containing information about how to get to the outside world.  The
broadcast address is the reserved address that is used for these
messages. Each subnet you define has its own broadcast address, because
the information might be local to the subnet.

Post by Alexis Cousei » Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,
>     Running Indigo2 - 5.3, need to re-configure net IP addresses. I am
> root, userid 0 etc! etc! - but do not have administrative privileges
> when changes are to be made. Can't even execute a netstart.  What could
> be causing this?

Bad objectserver database -- see FAQ at
http://www-viz.tamu.edu/~sgi-faq/

--
Alexis Cousein                          Added to confuse the enemy:

1. PANIC : Don't have administrative priviledge as ROOT ??

Hi,

a customer had a similar problem. We found out that /usr/etc/resolv.conf
was missing, while /etc/resolv.conf was intact. The solution in this
case was:
   cd /usr/etc
   ln -s ../../etc/resolv.conf resolv.conf

Hope this helps,
Guenther

--
Guenther Seybold, Siemens Nixdorf Informationssysteme AG, Mannheim.

2. New Version - PowerOn for OS 5 v5.2 - Save battery! Stop unwanted power on!

3. Can't Add Users from User Manager -- root not privileged

4. Explorer view menu popup

5. root not Privileged user - catch 22

6. Brother XL1500 driver

7. Root has no admin privileges!

8. Root is not Privileged! How??!?!!@#@#!@

9. Root not Privileged User

10. Grand part root privileges to normal user?

11. administrative relief tools (sudo)

12. Q: Restore root from mini-root