Any way to get fx's 'label/show/part' 'off-line'?

Any way to get fx's 'label/show/part' 'off-line'?

Post by Amos Shapi » Sun, 26 Dec 1993 03:17:43

Hello,

Dealing with disk partitioning might be a bit more convenient if I could run
something which could give me the disk partition table,  something a-la
the PD 'dk' utility available for the Suns.

Right now I run something like:

# echo l/sh/part | fx -x 'dksc(0,1)'

but it would be nice if there was a way to output things more "cleanly" or
even tell fx to shut up and just print things.

Is there such a way?  How do others handle this (or do they just 'suffer'
like me?) ?

Cheers,

--Amos
--
--Amos Shapira (Jumper Extraordinaire) | "Of course Australia was marked for
C.S. System Group, Hebrew University,  |  glory, for its people had been chosen

Post by Dave Ols » Sun, 26 Dec 1993 13:11:06

| Dealing with disk partitioning might be a bit more convenient if I could run
| something which could give me the disk partition table,  something a-la
| the PD 'dk' utility available for the Suns.

'man prtvtoc'; you probably want 'prtvtoc -s /dev/rroot'

| Right now I run something like:
|
| # echo l/sh/part | fx -x 'dksc(0,1)'
|
| but it would be nice if there was a way to output things more "cleanly" or
| even tell fx to shut up and just print things.

Is there *really* a lot of use for a mode where fx suppresses
all of it's prompts (I'm asking seriously).  If there is, I might
consider adding it.  I never saw it as much of a problem, and I
did a lot of our manufacturing disk setup and burning feeding
stuff to fx on stdin (and sometimes looking at it's output).

There is also dvhtool, but it is deprecated for everything but
putting and getting files from the volhdr.
--

The most beautiful things in the world are              |   Dave Olson
those from which all excess weight has been             |   Silicon Graphics

Post by Amos Shapi » Mon, 27 Dec 1993 02:54:22

|(Amos Shapira) writes:

|| Dealing with disk partitioning might be a bit more convenient if I could run
|| something which could give me the disk partition table,  something a-la
|| the PD 'dk' utility available for the Suns.

|'man prtvtoc'; you probably want 'prtvtoc -s /dev/rroot'

Thanks.  Just what I was looking for.

|| Right now I run something like:
|| # echo l/sh/part | fx -x 'dksc(0,1)'
|| but it would be nice if there was a way to output things more "cleanly" or
|| even tell fx to shut up and just print things.

|Is there *really* a lot of use for a mode where fx suppresses
|all of it's prompts (I'm asking seriously).  If there is, I might

No real need, now that I know about prtvtoc.

|consider adding it.  I never saw it as much of a problem, and I
|did a lot of our manufacturing disk setup and burning feeding
|stuff to fx on stdin (and sometimes looking at it's output).

Generally the 'read from stdin' stuff should be enough to automate somewhat
the disk setup,  if its possible to get the same info from other tools (it is,
isn't it?) then fx could be left as it is as far as I am concerned.

|There is also dvhtool, but it is deprecated for everything but
|putting and getting files from the volhdr.

Marry Xmas.

--Amos
--
--Amos Shapira (Jumper Extraordinaire) | "Of course Australia was marked for
C.S. System Group, Hebrew University,  |  glory, for its people had been chosen
Jerusalem 91904, ISRAEL                |  by the finest judges in England."

1. w doesn't show 'from' field

When I run w on a 4D440 running 5.3, it does not indicate where
the users are logged in from.  However, when a finger an
individual user, it reports correctly.  What gives?  What can
I do about it?

                                                        Jon

2. Win2K Server Deployment at Field Offices

3. WTB: PO's PO's Origin200's Systems and CPU's

4. Can't I decode data from a Mac user?

5. 'swap -l' and 'minimal installation'

6. Installing Web on Revo from Mac

7. Mail to 'root' goes to 'guest'

8. just testing

9. 4.0.5 -> 5.3 update, now 'lpr' goes through 'lp'??

10. 'rup' & 'glbd' on indigo-2

11. 'cfe' bombs during 'cc' compile

12. strange 'ls'/'tar' behavior..

13. Anyone with more info on '3D-GO' or 'GIG'?