NEC CD-ROM drives on an SGI?

Post by Mark Chutte » Thu, 31 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Several NEC 6X CD-ROM drives came into our possession, and it would be
really helpful if we could convince our Indigo2 running IRIX 5.3 to
recognize them.  We would appreciate any useful suggestions that would
help use these drives.  The block size is set at 2k since the drives are
meant for Macs or PCs and can only be changed in software, but how can
you change the block size to 512 in IRIX?

Thanks,
Mark

NEC CD-ROM drives on an SGI?

Post by Walter Robers » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00

:Several NEC 6X CD-ROM drives came into our possession, and it would be
:really helpful if we could convince our Indigo2 running IRIX 5.3 to
:recognize them.  We would appreciate any useful suggestions that would
:help use these drives.  The block size is set at 2k since the drives are
:meant for Macs or PCs and can only be changed in software, but how can
:you change the block size to 512 in IRIX?

http://reality.sgi.com/employees  and fetch the 'scsicontrol' program
from Dave Olson's WWW page.
--

"NFS is the worst possible form of file sharing government (right after
all the others.)"

NEC CD-ROM drives on an SGI?

Post by Christoph Steinbec » Sat, 02 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> :Several NEC 6X CD-ROM drives came into our possession, and it would be
> :really helpful if we could convince our Indigo2 running IRIX 5.3 to
> :recognize them.  We would appreciate any useful suggestions that would
> :help use these drives.  The block size is set at 2k since the drives are
> :meant for Macs or PCs and can only be changed in software, but how can
> :you change the block size to 512 in IRIX?

> http://reality.sgi.com/employees  and fetch the 'scsicontrol' program
> from Dave Olson's WWW page.
> --

> "NFS is the worst possible form of file sharing government (right after
> all the others.)"

I think I heared that the newer SGI's set the blocksize automatically to
512. It does not require your interaction. I have a NEC Multispin 6x
running with my Indigo II and it works.
But I had serious problems getting it to work. Finally it simply started
working after I switched from SCSI ID 3 to ID 5. Now it runs without
problems. Sounds ridiculous, but that's what I experienced. No need to
mention, that ID 3 was also not in use by another device on my machine.

Regards,

Chris
--
Dr. Christoph Steinbeck - PGP available on my homepage

http://www.tufts.edu/~csteinbe/
Dep. of Chemistry, Tufts Univ., 62 Talbot Ave., Medford, MA 02155, USA
Phone: int + (617) 627-3881      FAX: int + (617) 627-3443

      *** Windows 95 - from the people who brought you edlin ***

1. Apple, NEC CD-ROM Drives on SGI?

Hello everyone,

I am in need of upgrading our operating system from a CD, and have an old
4D/25 which only has a tape drive on it.  Of course, the media as now
distributed is CD, so I need to put a CD-ROM reader on the system to do the
upgrade.  I have a couple of CD-ROM drives I could use:  an older Apple CD,
and an NEC CDR-36 -- both of which I use on Macintosh systems (SCSI
interface).  My questions are:  Is there a way I can use either one of
these CD-ROM drives on the SGI?  Will the software drivers on the 4D/25
handle either one of these drives?  Do I need to obtain some driver
software from somewhere before I can use one of these drives?

Thanks in advance!
| Joseph A. Counsil, Research Engineer, University of Missouri - Rolla |

| 142 Schrenk Hall, Rolla, MO 65401        Amateur Radio: -= KB0FPD =- |

2. can i set pagesize in datalist

3. NEC CD-ROM Drive

4. Contact Page!

5. How? NEC 2x CD-ROM drive on Indy

6. Dialup networking password will not save

7. NEC CD-ROM Drives and an Indigo R3k...

8. Johnston (LT) Font

9. NEC CD-ROM Drives

10. NEC CDR-73 CD-ROM Drive on an Indy

11. NEC 6xe SCSI CD-ROM Drive