NEC CD-ROM Drives

Post by Michael James Landm » Sat, 02 Apr 1994 04:48:47

        Hi. Could somebody please clue me in on what I need to do to get
a NEC MultiSpin CDROM Reader to work with my IRIS INDIGO? (4.0.5F)?

        Disk and File (from system manager) sees it, hinv sees it, but
nothing works on it.. I get errors in my console saying: "Unsupported
CD-ROM bla bla bla may not work correctly bla bla" and inst will
not work from it. Is there something I am not doing correctly? Do
I need to install some sort of driver or edit some parameter in the /etc
directory? Or, if there is simply no way to get it to work at all,
could somebody please tell me so, so I'm not wasting my time?

        Thanks in advance for your help.

NEC CD-ROM Drives

Post by Dave Ols » Sun, 03 Apr 1994 07:05:12

|       Hi. Could somebody please clue me in on what I need to do to get
| a NEC MultiSpin CDROM Reader to work with my IRIS INDIGO? (4.0.5F)?

You can't (well, you could binary edit cdromd and mount_iso9660), and
replace TOSHIBA\0 with NEC\0, and that *might* work, if it is SCSI-2
compliant.

In 5.2, we assume all unknown CD-ROM drives are SCSI-2 compliant, and
try them that way.  If they aren't, it still won't work.
--

The most beautiful things in the world are              |   Dave Olson
those from which all excess weight has been             |   Silicon Graphics

1. NEC CD-ROM Drive

I tried a NEC 4x (I think 501) on my Indy and also without any success. A
Toshiba 3701 (6.7x) workes fine, though.

--------------
e-mail address changed to avoid unwanted emails
to reply remove the word "TAKEOUT" from the address line

-David Hofmann

2. Take this Amiga 2000 from mhands!!!

3. NEC CD-ROM Drives and an Indigo R3k...

4. const int (1)

5. Apple, NEC CD-ROM Drives on SGI?

6. two questions

7. NEC CD-ROM drives on an SGI?