Annoying Netscape Mail Bug

Annoying Netscape Mail Bug

Post by Mario Garci » Wed, 30 Apr 1997 04:00:00



This is a very annonying Netscape Mail bug. A co-worker's mailer quotes
mail as follows:

From the keyboard of Mario Garcia:

Quote:> blah
> blah
> blah

Everytime I receive a message like the above, Netscape Mail splits the
message in two. The first part is just the word 'the', and the second
part shows up with no subject and contains the rest of the message. This
is probably due to the way NSmail parses the headers. Anybody else out
there bugged by this ?

--
Mario L. Garcia                   | P.O. Box 8029, Austin, TX 78713-8029

Applied Research Laboratories     | Tel  : (512)835-3674
The University of Texas at Austin | Fax  : (512)835-3259

 
 
 

Annoying Netscape Mail Bug

Post by Reto Korad » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00



> [..]
> From the keyboard of Mario Garcia:

> Everytime I receive a message like the above, Netscape Mail splits the
> message in two. [..] Anybody else out there bugged by this ?

Yes, Netscape splits mails whenever the word "From" is the first on
a line. This can also happen just accidentially in normal text. It
also happens if you get forwarded mail from other mailers (like Sun's
mailtool). Highly annoying.

Haven't tried 4.0 yet, I hope it's better there.
--


 
 
 

Annoying Netscape Mail Bug

Post by Mario Garci » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00



> Yes, Netscape splits mails whenever the word "From" is the first on
> a line. This can also happen just accidentially in normal text. It
> also happens if you get forwarded mail from other mailers (like Sun's
> mailtool). Highly annoying.

> Haven't tried 4.0 yet, I hope it's better there.

Just checked 4.0b3, and it has the same problem. Maybe they'll fix this
by the final release, but I doubt it.

--
Mario L. Garcia                   | P.O. Box 8029, Austin, TX 78713-8029

Applied Research Laboratories     | Tel  : (512)835-3674
The University of Texas at Austin | Fax  : (512)835-3259

 
 
 

Annoying Netscape Mail Bug

Post by Steve Loughra » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00



> This is a very annonying Netscape Mail bug. A co-worker's mailer quotes
> mail as follows:

> From the keyboard of Mario Garcia:
> > blah
> > blah
> > blah

> Everytime I receive a message like the above, Netscape Mail splits the
> message in two. The first part is just the word 'the', and the second
> part shows up with no subject and contains the rest of the message. This
> is probably due to the way NSmail parses the headers. Anybody else out
> there bugged by this ?

are you pulling your mail from a POP server? If a message has a blank
line and then the next line starts with the word `From `, this is (at
our site anyway) defined as the start of a new message. The mail server
here will add a `>` char to the start of any two lines that fit this
description so it would then look like

<blank line>

Quote:>From the keyboard of Mario Garcia:
> blah
> blah
> blah

I`m not sure if this is a NSMail problem or a sendmail/POP problem.

--

Steve

-------------------------------------------------
Steve Loughran, SGI/PC IT Manager
Millennium Interactive Ltd, Cambridge, UK
Web : http://camsg001.millennium.co.uk/index.htm
SGI Solid Impact, Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace