IRIX 6.5.18m and NIS

Post by Kenneth W Grossma » Mon, 23 Dec 2002 09:51:08

I am having trouble getting NIS to work properly on a network of SGI's
all running 6.5.18m.
My problem is I have one Octane setup as the server, and a bunch of
other O2's and O2+'s setup
as clients to the Octane.  Some of the clients are on different subnets
on the network.  I have tried setting
a couple on the other subnet as slave servers to the Octane but still I
have problems.  All the problems started
when I needed to change our domainname to another one.  I went to all
the other systems and deleted all
references to the old domainname, that I deleted everything in
/var/ns/domains/xxxxx/ and when I did the
ypinit -m -d <new domainname> etc... on the Octane to make it the
server, everything started out alright.
I progressed through the other systems, using ypinit -c, and all
appeared okay.  Later, when I would do a
ypwhich, some of the clients were pointing to each other, and none was
the server.  I would do a ypset
and set it to the proper server, but later it would be set back to a
wrong server.  Then I would do domainname
and it would return the old domainname, even though I have changed it,
and issued the ypinit with the -y option
to delete old files.  What am I doing wrong?  Any help from anyone would
be greatly appreciated.

Ken

1. Infosearch server system default, Irix 6.5.18m

Is there any way to set the default Infosearch server to
techpubs.sgi.com for all users on a system?

I'm starting to upgrade our workstations from 6.5.16m to 6.5.18m

We don't run (and will not run) local web servers, per our
organizational policy.

So the users will see the 'unable to connect to server' message when
they hit on the Infosearch tool after the upgrade (I'm assuming).

Or am I going to have to hunt down and edit each user's .infosearchrc ?

Thanks, Tom H.

2. Help! Domino R5 two servers set up for users

3. IRIX 6.5.18m download archive checksums, where to find on the website?

4. Credit Card Balances in '05.

5. getting 6.5.18m

6. any new track-mouse hacks????

7. problem with 6.5.18f

8. NEXT KEYBOARD ON MAC?

9. Problems with upgrade to 6.5.18m

10. Conflicts when trying to upgrade from 6.5.18f to 6.5.19f

11. Problems with DISPLAY :0.0 on 6.5.18m

12. IRIX 6.5.18 out, but I cant get it :(

13. When is IRIX 6.5.18 being released?