Iomega zip drive to SGI via parallel: am I mad?

Iomega zip drive to SGI via parallel: am I mad?

Post by Graeme Bish » Fri, 12 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Just a thought. I have a 100Meg Iomega Zip drive (the cute blue
portable one) which I use for shuffling stuff too and from PC's. Is
there any way to hook the *parallel* version of this up to an
Indigo2?

Its a long shot but I'd be grateful if anyone knew an answer one way
or the other.

graeme
+------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| After hearing two eye witness      | Graeme Bishko : I.R.C. Leeds    |
| accounts of the same car accident  | rm 8-311 Physics Research Deck  |
| one begins to wonder about history.| Tel +44 113 233 3892 (int. 3892)|
+------------------------------------+---------------------------------+

Post by Dave Ols » Mon, 15 Apr 1996 04:00:00

| Just a thought. I have a 100Meg Iomega Zip drive (the cute blue
| portable one) which I use for shuffling stuff too and from PC's. Is
| there any way to hook the *parallel* version of this up to an
| Indigo2?

Not a chance.  The scsi version works, though.
--

Dave Olson, Silicon Graphics   Guru and busybody at large

Post by John Paul Morris » Sun, 21 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>| Just a thought. I have a 100Meg Iomega Zip drive (the cute blue
>| portable one) which I use for shuffling stuff too and from PC's. Is
>| there any way to hook the *parallel* version of this up to an
>| Indigo2?

>Not a chance.  The scsi version works, though.

Linux has source code for the parallel port version.
Someone could port it to SGI.

>--

>Dave Olson, Silicon Graphics   Guru and busybody at large

John Paul Morrison        Concord Pacific Developments                 VE7JPM

         1000, 1095 W. Pender Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6E 2M6

Iomega zip drive to SGI via parallel: am I mad?

Post by Randolph J. Herbe » Wed, 24 Apr 1996 04:00:00

The following header lines retained to affect attribution:

|Newsgroups: comp.sys.sgi.hardware
|Subject: Re: Iomega zip drive to SGI via parallel: am I mad?
|Date: 20 Apr 1996 14:54:45 -0700

|>| Just a thought. I have a 100Meg Iomega Zip drive (the cute blue
|>| portable one) which I use for shuffling stuff too and from PC's. Is
|>| there any way to hook the *parallel* version of this up to an
|>| Indigo2?

|>Not a chance.  The scsi version works, though.

|Linux has source code for the parallel port version.
|Someone could port it to SGI.

The problem is not the existence of source code.

The problem is the nature of SGI parallel printer ports.  As it has been
discussed in these mailing lists (news groups to some) very many times,
the SGI printer ports are neither IBM PC compatible nor particularly
bi-directional.  Regardless of the degree of effort expended to develop
the kernel driver, the hardware situation would prevent doing this.

|>Dave Olson, Silicon Graphics   Guru and busybody at large

|John Paul Morrison        Concord Pacific Developments                 VE7JPM

|         1000, 1095 W. Pender Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6E 2M6

(Speaking for myself and not for US, US DOE, FNAL nor URA.)
(Product, trade, or service marks herein belong to their respective owners.)
N 41 50 26.3 W 88 14 54.4 and altitude 700' approximately, WGS84 datum.

Post by Dave Ols » Thu, 25 Apr 1996 04:00:00

| >| Just a thought. I have a 100Meg Iomega Zip drive (the cute blue
| >| portable one) which I use for shuffling stuff too and from PC's. Is
| >| there any way to hook the *parallel* version of this up to an
| >| Indigo2?
| >
| >Not a chance.  The scsi version works, though.
|
| Linux has source code for the parallel port version.
| Someone could port it to SGI.

Yes, you could, but it still wouldn't work.  The parallel port
*hardware* isn't compatible.
--

Dave Olson, Silicon Graphics   Guru and busybody at large

Iomega zip drive to SGI via parallel: am I mad?

Post by Frank Evan Perdicar » Fri, 26 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Many have said 'it will not work'.  They are probably correct.  You
could be totally insane and use the SGI parallel port to drive
the IOmega SCSI device by one of those parallel-to-SCSI converters.

I expect this would be a fun project, but could take a few lifetimes.

--
Frank Evan Perdicaro                    Dainippon Screen Engineering of America
 Legalize guns, * and cash...today.    3700 Segerstrom Ave

Post by Scott Hen » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>>>>> "F" == Frank Evan Perdicaro <frank> writes:

F> Many have said 'it will not work'.  They are probably correct.  You
F> could be totally insane and use the SGI parallel port to drive
F> the IOmega SCSI device by one of those parallel-to-SCSI converters.

F> I expect this would be a fun project, but could take a few lifetimes.

Since the first thing you would have to do is redo the parallel port
_hardware_ on the SGI...  This is *not* a software problem!

--
---

 http://hoshi.corp.sgi.com/scotty.html / Garbage In -- Gospel out