SGI comparisions unfa

SGI comparisions unfa

Post by Dawit Fisse » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 19:46:52



Benjamin, first off the IBM installation is not quite the same thing
as SGI. You can gang up any sort of machines and reach those same
level of perofrmances given that you have adequate machines to do so.
SGI makes self contained graphics subsystems while IBM has clustered
its off the shelf highend machines to perform the same task. I used to
have a cluster of four SUN450s doing "rust" modeling and now I do the
same task on an ONYX, I agree the perofmance differnce is mostly
negligible but I could do without the extra managment and
configurations those sunboxes required which came "built for purpose"
in an SGI. Graphics aside I would say SGI could compete directly with
IBM,NEC...ETC in the non graphic arena and they would have the edge
because IBM does not really have anything quite middle level. Give me
any machine which manufactures equivalent of a deskside ORIGIN or ONYX
system other than the ES40 and you will see what im trying to get at.
To your other argument stock prices are no sign of a companies quality
or maket capitalisation. (e.g DELL)
                                                    Dawit Fisseha
 
 
 

SGI comparisions unfa

Post by Benjamin Gawer » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 23:47:17




Dawit, it would be nice if You would include the old subject in the header
as its really different to assign the message correctly when You change the
subject completely. Please include something like "(was:
NVIDIA - the next SGI type company?)" in the header...

Quote:> Benjamin, first off the IBM installation is not quite the same thing
> as SGI.

I wouldnt say that. Ok, IBM doesnt make Gfx machines like SGI does, but
SGI even makes servers and super computers like IBM does, so theyre
comparable one way or the other...

HP btw. even offers some very good gfx with its Visualize Series which is
comparable to Octane...

Quote:> You can gang up any sort of machines and reach those same
> level of perofrmances given that you have adequate machines to do so.
> SGI makes self contained graphics subsystems while IBM has clustered
> its off the shelf highend machines to perform the same task. I used to
> have a cluster of four SUN450s doing "rust" modeling and now I do the
> same task on an ONYX, I agree the perofmance differnce is mostly
> negligible but I could do without the extra managment and
> configurations those sunboxes required which came "built for purpose"
> in an SGI. Graphics aside I would say SGI could compete directly with
> IBM,NEC...ETC in the non graphic arena and they would have the edge
> because IBM does not really have anything quite middle level.

Which shows You dont really know the RS/6000 product line (or HPs) which
is very successful in this area (midrange to high end) and offers a really
good performance compared to other vendors incl. SGI. Yes, in the gfx area
SGI still has "the edge" (but the gap gets smaller and smaller from day to
day!) but not in the non-gfx arena. SGI has some good offers here as have
the other big names like HP, IBM and Sun (NEC ist really a server
company;-)), but the latter offer a better path for the future and seem to
be more aware what their customers want...

Quote:> Give me
> any machine which manufactures equivalent of a deskside ORIGIN or ONYX
> system other than the ES40 and you will see what im trying to get at.

ONYX is a gfx machine. ORIGIN is a server. Really not a bad one, but not the
only offer in this area....

The point is not that SGI has bad hardware, its that theyre not able to do
marketing successful. Changing the image is difficult and needs a very
careful hand to do it. SGI tried it with the sledgehammer and destroyed a
lot of trust their customer had. And if SGI cant satisfy the customers
needs they will change its supplier very fast....

Quote:> To your other argument stock prices are no sign of a companies quality
> or maket capitalisation. (e.g DELL)

Sure, but its only one point. Of course one can close his/hers eyes and
say "hooray SGI" or (s)he can look around and see how SGI looses not only
stock quotes but the much more important customers who recognise that a lot
of work doesnt need a system thats 3x as fast as a PC but as 10x as
expensive. Yes, there still are areas where SGI is the only way to go, but
these areas are getting smaller and smaller. Instead of offering a real
performance increase for ONYX2 and Octane2 they just added some new features
most of the customers simply dont need. And ignoring the customers needs
has killed a lot of other (and more successful) companies in the past...

Benjamin

 
 
 

SGI comparisions unfa

Post by ha.. » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 13:18:43



Quote:

>I wouldnt say that. Ok, IBM doesnt make Gfx machines like SGI does, but
>SGI even makes servers and super computers like IBM does, so theyre
>comparable one way or the other...

>HP btw. even offers some very good gfx with its Visualize Series which is
>comparable to Octane...

>> in an SGI. Graphics aside I would say SGI could compete directly with
>> IBM,NEC...ETC in the non graphic arena and they would have the edge
>> because IBM does not really have anything quite middle level.

>Which shows You dont really know the RS/6000 product line (or HPs) which
>is very successful in this area (midrange to high end) and offers a really
>good performance compared to other vendors incl. SGI. Yes, in the gfx area
>SGI still has "the edge" (but the gap gets smaller and smaller from day to
>day!) but not in the non-gfx arena. SGI has some good offers here as have
>the other big names like HP, IBM and Sun, but the latter offer a better path
>for the future and seem to be more aware what their customers want...

You betcher bippy on that ... I'm just a dumb observer, but it makes
good sense for SGI to avoid competing at the commodity-pc level.
However, they NEED a bottom end and the RS/6000's running Catia
and the HP Visualize workstations are invading what *used* to be
SGI territory. Professionals running professional design and engineering
software at companies like Boeing and Ford ... this level sure looks like
where SGI's low end should be : the low end that returns good money
for the investment made in top dollar stuff. Didn't SGI used to have
about 40% of this market ? IBM and HP are currently eating their
breakfast in this profitable area. Oh yeah, SGI has those real popular
NT machines, I forgot ....

--
h?rad ?ngravv?d

 
 
 

SGI comparisions unfa

Post by Martin.Knoblauc » Tue, 19 Jun 2001 15:54:11



> To your other argument stock prices are no sign of a companies quality
> or maket capitalisation. (e.g DELL)
>                                                     Dawit Fisseha

 Not necessarily, but stock prices somehow reflect the trust in a
company. Looking at the recent closing price for SGI (US$ 1.53) I would
say that trust is not very high at the moment.

 Besides the fact that I would hate if SGI stock would have to be traded
OTC, below a certain level the company may just be to tempting for the
sharks.

Martin
--
------------------------------------------------------------------

TeraPort GmbH            |    Phone:  +49-89-510857-309
C+ITS                    |    Fax:    +49-89-510857-111
http://www.teraport.de   |    Mobile: +49-170-4904759

 
 
 

1. HELP: Need comparisions between SGI Challenge DM and HP9000/G50

I need sources of comparisions between the SGI Challenge DM and the HP9000/G50
with similar configurations.  Are there any publications that deal with these
type of machines?

please e-mail with any information....

thanks!

Paul Lewis

+-<  Paul Lewis  >--------nothing short of total war----------+-------------+
| 'We do it because we are compelled.'         -Kovacs (Moore)|  Keep U.S.  |
| 'We are alone.  There is nothing else.'      -Long   (Moore)| Govt. Hands |
| 'And an occasional bomb thrown at the king   -Dali          |   Off The   |
|  is desirable from time to time as a                        |  Internet!  |
|  stimulus for him.'                                         |             |

2. technote 176 parts 4, 5, 7

3. Comparision between HP and SGI workstations...?

4. music and mp3

5. Zip Drives for SGI and networking Macs to SGI.

6. TCP/IP printing problems with CA and/or Lexmark Optra

7. Which news reader is best for sgi (most sgi-like)

8. USB/audio conflict

9. comp.sys.sgi.misc comp.sys.sgi.graphics

10. SGI Vaporware - comp.sys.sgi #31379

11. Using a PC monitor on a SGI Indy - how to convert Sun 13w3 to SGI 13w3?

12. WTB: SGI 17"/20" monitor OR 13w3 to VGA adapter that WORKS on SGI

13. SGI: Newbie: What will be salvaged if SGI can't make it