Q: Changing IP # and Subnet Mask

Post by Steve Pitta » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm going to be moving a cluster of SGIs (a NIS server
and its clients) over to a new
LAN soon which will require new IP numbers and a new
subnet mask. We are keeping the same domain name
and DNS server specifications. Oh and I'm running
IRIX 6.5.4m on all systems.

Although I have set up plenty of SGIs
from scratch, I want to make sure that IRIX doesn't
stash things like host name and IP number in odd
places (as Solaris has been known to do) such that when
I reboot the machines suffer an identity crisis.

I've planned to  change the following files on each host:

/etc/hosts (of course)           (for new IP number(s) )
/etc/config/netif.options        (for interface specification)
/etc/config/ifconfig-1.options   (for netmask and broadcast)

Relative to NIS I'm not changing anything ot at least
I'm thinking that I don't have to. Are there any other
files that might stash the IP # or netmask ?

Steve Pittard    | http://catalina.bimcore.emory.edu/www (HOME PAGE)

BIMCORE Support  | 404 727 0038

Q: Changing IP # and Subnet Mask

Post by Brian Nixo » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Are there any other files that might stash the IP # or netmask ?

Although it's not needed for normal operation, you might want to
update the netaddr variable in the PROM to the new IP address... might
save you tearing your hair out later if you ever try to do a remote
boot.

Cheers,

Brian.

Brian Nixon                                     Alenia Marconi Systems
Graduate Engineer                            Stockport, United Kingdom