Sash won't start boot automatically

Post by Homme R. Bitte » Thu, 26 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

Something weird, I reinstalled an indy with 6.2.
That itself isn't weird, but for some reason I have to type boot in sash
every time I reboot.
Not a big problem, but rather annoying.
I tried setting the env variables in the prom/sash, they were all okay (
sgi-faq and dejanews )
Can anyone tell me the secret to convincing sash that I really want to
boot ?
I'm using sash version 6.2 june 18 1996 on a fully patched 6.2 system.

TIA,

Homme

Sash won't start boot automatically

Post by Homme R. Bitte » Thu, 26 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>         Let me understand... What does it appear when you try to reboot?
>         And more... are you sure that controller and scsi numbers
>         are correct, in env vars?

Okay, I turn on the machine, it stops with the sash prompt.
all I type is boot<enter> and it runs just fine.
This happened after a clean install on a rootdisk that I cleaned out
with rm -rf * in the rootdir.
the disks and partitions are all okay in the prom, otherwise just typing
boot wouldn't do the trick.

TIA,

Homme

Post by Scott Henr » Thu, 26 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>> Let me understand... What does it appear when you try to reboot?
>> And more... are you sure that controller and scsi numbers
>> are correct, in env vars?

H> Okay, I turn on the machine, it stops with the sash prompt.
H> all I type is boot<enter> and it runs just fine.
H> This happened after a clean install on a rootdisk that I cleaned out
H> with rm -rf * in the rootdir.
H> the disks and partitions are all okay in the prom, otherwise just typing
H> boot wouldn't do the trick.

You probably have AutoLoad=n in the PROM. change it to AutoLoad=y
and you should be OK. Also check rebound.

--

 IRIX MTS,                   /  GIGO *really* means: Garbage in, Gospel Out
 Silicon Graphics, Inc      /  http://reality.sgi.com/scotth/

Post by Dave Ols » Sat, 28 Nov 1998 04:00:00

| H> Okay, I turn on the machine, it stops with the sash prompt.
| H> all I type is boot<enter> and it runs just fine.
| H> This happened after a clean install on a rootdisk that I cleaned out
| H> with rm -rf * in the rootdir.
| H> the disks and partitions are all okay in the prom, otherwise just typing
| H> boot wouldn't do the trick.
|
| You probably have AutoLoad=n in the PROM. change it to AutoLoad=y
| and you should be OK. Also check rebound.

And by the way, I think part of the reason people were confused is
that you said it booted to sash.  Are you sure it wasn't to the PROM?
If you actually had it boot up to a prompt that said "sash", that would
be peculiar.

You may have manually set some nvram variables incorrectly, in which
case 'resetenv' at the PROM prompt, followed by resetting netaddr and
any others you really need to have set manually may well clear things up.
--

Dave Olson, Silicon Graphics

Post by David Guerti » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

     > | H> Okay, I turn on the machine, it stops with the sash prompt.
     > | H> all I type is boot<enter> and it runs just fine.
     > | H> This happened after a clean install on a rootdisk that I cleaned out
     > | H> with rm -rf * in the rootdir.
     > | H> the disks and partitions are all okay in the prom, otherwise just typing
     > | H> boot wouldn't do the trick.

    Scott > | You probably have AutoLoad=n in the PROM. change it to
    AutoLoad=y Scott > | and you should be OK. Also check rebound.

    Dave> And by the way, I think part of the reason people were
    Dave> confused is that you said it booted to sash.  Are you sure
    Dave> it wasn't to the PROM?  If you actually had it boot up to a
    Dave> prompt that said "sash", that would be peculiar.

I'm jumping into this thread late, but I'm having the same problem as
Homme first reported: When I boot the machine, it *does* boot straight
to a prompt that says "sash".  I then type "boot<enter>" and the
machine boots correctly.

I've checked in the Command Monitor, and AutoLoad is set to "Yes".
When I exit the command monitor, it boots to sash, and I need to type
"boot".  There is apparently no rebound variable on this machine
(Indigo IP20).

Like the original report, this happened after doing a clean install of
the IRIX 6.2 (after a security compromise).

It's not big problem, but it sure is irksome!

Cheers,
--
Dave Guertin

Post by Alexis Cousei » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>      > | H> Okay, I turn on the machine, it stops with the sash prompt.
>      > | H> all I type is boot<enter> and it runs just fine.
>      > | H> This happened after a clean install on a rootdisk that I cleaned out
>      > | H> with rm -rf * in the rootdir.
>      > | H> the disks and partitions are all okay in the prom, otherwise just typing
>      > | H> boot wouldn't do the trick.
>      > |
>     Scott > | You probably have AutoLoad=n in the PROM. change it to
>     AutoLoad=y Scott > | and you should be OK. Also check rebound.

>     Dave> And by the way, I think part of the reason people were
>     Dave> confused is that you said it booted to sash.  Are you sure
>     Dave> it wasn't to the PROM?  If you actually had it boot up to a
>     Dave> prompt that said "sash", that would be peculiar.

> I'm jumping into this thread late, but I'm having the same problem as
> Homme first reported: When I boot the machine, it *does* boot straight
> to a prompt that says "sash".  I then type "boot<enter>" and the
> machine boots correctly.

Usually, one of these nvram variables

OSLoadPartition=pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0)
OSLoadFilename=/unix

is not set correctly (just taking an O2 as an example).

--
Alexis Cousein                          Added to confuse the enemy:

Post by Dave Ols » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

| I'm jumping into this thread late, but I'm having the same problem as
| Homme first reported: When I boot the machine, it *does* boot straight
| to a prompt that says "sash".  I then type "boot<enter>" and the
| machine boots correctly.
|
| I've checked in the Command Monitor, and AutoLoad is set to "Yes".
| When I exit the command monitor, it boots to sash, and I need to type
| "boot".  There is apparently no rebound variable on this machine
| (Indigo IP20).
|
| Like the original report, this happened after doing a clean install of
| the IRIX 6.2 (after a security compromise).

As Alexis says, you probably set some nvram variables incorrectly.
Check them all, or at the prom monitor, do 'resetenv', and see if
that fixes it.
--

Dave Olson, Silicon Graphics

Sash won't start boot automatically

Post by David Guerti » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

    Dave> As Alexis says, you probably set some nvram variables
    Dave> incorrectly.  Check them all, or at the prom monitor, do
    Dave> 'resetenv', and see if that fixes it.

Thanks to both Dave and Alexis.

OSLoadOptions was set to INST instead of auto, which seemed
suspicious, so I changed it to auto.  No luck there.  Everything else
seemed correct.

I did "resetenv", and even though all the variables looked the same as
when I started, it's booting correctly now.  Strange, but I'm happy.

Cheers,
--
Dave Guertin

Post by Homme R. Bitte » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> And by the way, I think part of the reason people were confused is
> that you said it booted to sash.  Are you sure it wasn't to the PROM?
> If you actually had it boot up to a prompt that said "sash", that would
> be peculiar.

Yes, it's sash alright, that's what puzzled me too.

Quote:> You may have manually set some nvram variables incorrectly, in which
> case 'resetenv' at the PROM prompt, followed by resetting netaddr and
> any others you really need to have set manually may well clear things up.

Well, resetenv did it allright, but I didn't mess with the parameters.
Strange, I had it installed with 6.2, upgraded to 6.5, then rm -f * and
reinstall of 6.2.
That's all I did, never been in the prom.

Well, thanks everyone for the help :)

Homme