trying to clone a hd...

Post by graphixe » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 09:33:55

Ah yes, hrm well it seems my tod clock error was fixed by plugging in the
machine and letting it run for ~30minutes. No more error there. However it
seems that the machine I chose from the auction had no o/s on it's hard
drive. My friend and I have the crafty idea of doing a dd from his hd to my
hd (as he took mine home to try this later). However while we know the
format of /dev/dsk0d1s0  we do not know if  /dev/dsk0 would be his bootable
hard drive. (he has 2 however one is jammed in there tight and nothing this
side of the moon is getting it out). We also are clueless as to how IRIX
will pickup and assign an ID to my HD. Now I have checked the FAQ's so don't
scream at me about that. ;) . Since the systems are identical, we figure
doing a proper dd will get it working. We didn't find anything useful in
/proc, and there is no dmesg command. mount gave us /dev/root and /dev/usr.

If anyone has and idea on how we can complete our task, it would be greatly
appreciated.

--Chris Tell

--
-----------------

I wish I was 0x7A69 -=- 0111101001101001
Aim- FooBarIntel
Irc- Server: irc.2600.net Channel: #md2600 Name: Graphix
WebSite - Http://www.dnetc.org

trying to clone a hd...

Post by Nick Lon » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 13:00:01

Here is how you clone the root drive:
1. Unmount all of the partitions except for root.
2. Use fx to repartition the new drive as a root drive.
3. mkfs /dev/dsk/dks0d2s0 (assuming the second drive is on controller 0, id
2)
4. cd /
5. mkdir /new_root
6. mount -t /dev/dsk/dks0d2s0 /new_root
7. xfsdump -L 0 -J - / | (cd new_root; xfsrestore - .)
8. dvhtool -v list /dev/rdsk/dks0d1vh
9. dvhtool -v get sash /tmp/sash /dev/rdsk/dks0d1vh
10. dvhtool -v get ide /tmp/ide /dev/rdsk/dks0d1vh
11. dvhtool -v copy /tmp/sash sash /dev/rdsk/dks0d2vh
12. dvhtool -v copy /tmp/ide ide /dev/rdsk/dks0d2vh
13. rm /tmp/sash /tmp/ide

Have fun, be careful with your dks0d1s0 (good) drive, and read the man pages
:-)

Nick Long
www.unixpertise.com

Quote:> Ah yes, hrm well it seems my tod clock error was fixed by plugging in the
> machine and letting it run for ~30minutes. No more error there. However it
> seems that the machine I chose from the auction had no o/s on it's hard
> drive. My friend and I have the crafty idea of doing a dd from his hd to
my
> hd (as he took mine home to try this later). However while we know the
> format of /dev/dsk0d1s0  we do not know if  /dev/dsk0 would be his
bootable
> hard drive. (he has 2 however one is jammed in there tight and nothing
this
> side of the moon is getting it out). We also are clueless as to how IRIX
> will pickup and assign an ID to my HD. Now I have checked the FAQ's so
don't
> scream at me about that. ;) . Since the systems are identical, we figure
> doing a proper dd will get it working. We didn't find anything useful in
> /proc, and there is no dmesg command. mount gave us /dev/root and
/dev/usr.

> If anyone has and idea on how we can complete our task, it would be
greatly
> appreciated.

> --Chris Tell

> --
> -----------------

> I wish I was 0x7A69 -=- 0111101001101001
> Aim- FooBarIntel
> Irc- Server: irc.2600.net Channel: #md2600 Name: Graphix
> WebSite - Http://www.dnetc.org

trying to clone a hd...

Post by Morten Str?ru » Sun, 10 Jun 2001 05:56:49

Quote:> Here is how you clone the root drive:
> 1. Unmount all of the partitions except for root.
> 2. Use fx to repartition the new drive as a root drive.
> 3. mkfs /dev/dsk/dks0d2s0 (assuming the second drive is on controller 0,
id
> 2)
> 4. cd /
> 5. mkdir /new_root
> 6. mount -t /dev/dsk/dks0d2s0 /new_root
> 7. xfsdump -L 0 -J - / | (cd new_root; xfsrestore - .)
> 8. dvhtool -v list /dev/rdsk/dks0d1vh
> 9. dvhtool -v get sash /tmp/sash /dev/rdsk/dks0d1vh
> 10. dvhtool -v get ide /tmp/ide /dev/rdsk/dks0d1vh
> 11. dvhtool -v copy /tmp/sash sash /dev/rdsk/dks0d2vh
> 12. dvhtool -v copy /tmp/ide ide /dev/rdsk/dks0d2vh
> 13. rm /tmp/sash /tmp/ide

 Hi everyone!

What does the ide, sash and sgilabel files that are listed when you run
dvhtool -v list contain?
The reason I ask is because I'm about to clone a disk too, but from a 4,5 GB
disk to a 9,1 GB disk, and copying the partiontable from the 4,5 GB disk to
the 9,1 GB disk doesn't seem like a good idea to me :-) Would the above
listed commands do the trick for my setup too?

Kind Regards

Morten Str?rup

trying to clone a hd...

Post by Wolfgang Szoe » Sun, 10 Jun 2001 06:34:27

> What does the ide, sash and sgilabel files that are listed when you run
> dvhtool -v list contain?

generally, the volume-header is a 'simple' filesystem, which
the PROM can understand/read.

sash:
this is the standalone shell - or: the secondary loader.
This file is an executable, which is architecture dependent: 32bit or 64bit
Make sure, that it's the correct version.
This binary is the first one,
which knows how to read/load/execute /unix from an XFS (or EFS) filesystem.

This file is essential for correct system startup.

ide:
on-line diagnostics.
In former time, this was a big binary. but it became 'just too big'.
Nowadays it's just a copy of 'sash'.
'sash' is clever enough to detect, that if it was invoked as 'ide'
it will load and run '/usr/stand/ide' from your OSLoadPartition.

ide is not essential for system startup. - you can let it away if you like.

Quote:> The reason I ask is because I'm about to clone a disk too, but from a 4,5 GB
> disk to a 9,1 GB disk, and copying the partiontable from the 4,5 GB disk to
> the 9,1 GB disk doesn't seem like a good idea to me :-) Would the above
> listed commands do the trick for my setup too?

partition the new disk correctly with 'fx', and then copy
everything EXCEPT 'sgilabel' to this new disk.

Wolfgang

trying to clone a hd...

Post by Thomas Jahn » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 05:14:51

Hi,

> The reason I ask is because I'm about to clone a disk too, but from a 4,5 GB
> disk to a 9,1 GB disk, and copying the partiontable from the 4,5 GB disk to
> the 9,1 GB disk doesn't seem like a good idea to me :-) Would the above
> listed commands do the trick for my setup too?

Actually the volume header seems to not contain any hint to the complete size

of the disk, or at least IRIX does not care that much. I learned this while
copying EFS Filesystems to CDR (which to be readable with IRIX also requires
volume header on the CD). The 1 GB disk I used was even larger than the CDR
(but the EFS filesystem was not of course) and no part of the system
complained
so far. When I fx'ed the cd or whatever I did then to verify also showed the
correct volume size as sum of header and filesystem length.

I suggest you just go ahead and dd the entire volume. The devices in
/dev/rdsk
can be used for this purpose, but are sensitive to the blocksize chosen IIRC.

Hope this posting is not too late.

Greetings, Thomas

--
"Computers are good at following instructions,
 but not at reading your mind."

1. Did you try to contact the Cheap 9G HD outfit?

There have been some postings from somone trying to sell
some repossessed Seagate Elite 9gig HD, asking $2500.

I've send email, and tried to find these people via directory assistance
using the information given in the posting. Directory assistance can't
find them.

Has anyone gotten ahold of these people? If so, _please_ let me know
how!

Dr. Chris Luchini / University of Arkansas at Little Rock / 575 ETAS Bld.
2801 S. University Ave. / Little Rock AR, 72204-1099 / Phone: (501) 569 8442
Hybrid Rocket Project

Dr. Chris Luchini / University of Arkansas at Little Rock / 575 ETAS Bld.
2801 S. University Ave. / Little Rock AR, 72204-1099 / Phone: (501) 569 8442
Hybrid Rocket Project

2. HELP - Where can I get a copy of Vistual Test 4.0

3. $25 INDIGO 2 HD drive sleds with 4 GB HD

4. reading the node - Help

5. Must I buy a HD in sgi when the HD is bad?

6. About NAT on leased line with two parallel interfaces

7. Drive cloning

8. Any good web pages on how to conigure iis with a standalone server and a client

9. Weird Indigo2 clone

10. To Clone or Not?

11. SGI-clone?

12. Q: Cloning Disks, XL -> XZ