Simultaneous Audio, Video, and Serial I/O on an Indy

Simultaneous Audio, Video, and Serial I/O on an Indy

Post by Samir R Thada » Tue, 26 Mar 1996 04:00:00

        I have an SGI Indy with IRIX 5.2.  I am trying to simultaneously display
audio, video, and serial port input/output.  Unfortunately, this version of IRIX
does not have the digital media library (I think version 5.3 has it).  I am
actually trying to write code to build my own video, audio, and serial port
capture windows.  It would be nice, however, to have some examples to base my
programs on.  I was wondering if it is even possible to simultaneously display
three real-time input/output capture (audio, video, or serial) windows on the
Indy without causing a serious drop in performance.  If it is possible, could any
of you point me in the right direction as to where I should look for help writing
these programs (e.g. are there any manuals or web sites I can refer to) or
finding examples (e.g. do you know of anyone who has done something similar or
are there demos that I can download that do one or more of these things).
Also, are there any other issues I should be aware of when writing these
programs?  Thanks a lot for your assistance.

                                                                --Samir Thadani

P.S. Sorry to most to so many groups, but I wasn't sure which was the appropriate
one.

Simultaneous Audio, Video, and Serial I/O on an Indy

Post by Alexei Lebede » Wed, 27 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Run amesh and capture at the same time, and see how it goes.

-Alexei

Post by Doug Co » Wed, 27 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>    I have an SGI Indy with IRIX 5.2.  I am trying to simultaneously display
> audio, video, and serial port input/output.  Unfortunately, this version of IRIX
> does not have the digital media library (I think version 5.3 has it).  I am
> actually trying to write code to build my own video, audio, and serial port
> capture windows.  It would be nice, however, to have some examples to base my
> programs on.  I was wondering if it is even possible to simultaneously display
> three real-time input/output capture (audio, video, or serial) windows on the
> Indy without causing a serious drop in performance.  If it is possible, could any
> of you point me in the right direction as to where I should look for help writing
> these programs (e.g. are there any manuals or web sites I can refer to) or
> finding examples (e.g. do you know of anyone who has done something similar or
> are there demos that I can download that do one or more of these things).
> Also, are there any other issues I should be aware of when writing these
> programs?  Thanks a lot for your assistance.

Your first step should be to get the digital media programming
libraries.  The best way to do this is probably to upgrade to IRIX 5.3,
or to the imminent IRIX 6.2. Both of these releases include the digital
media programming libraries as part of the regular IRIX development
option ("IDO"). You can't do audio or video at all without these
libraries. The libraries come with lots of example code upon which you can build.

        -Doug

1. multiple simultaneous video sources on Sirius Video and Onyx ??

Howdy... Anybody out there know of a way to get two video simultaneously
into the Sirius video system on the Onyx?  What I need to do is to pull in
two video sources (I can make them Svideo or composite) and put them on the
screen.  Right now, the only way I found so far that even half-way works is
to plug in one signal as Svideo and the other as composite and then use
vlSetControl to toggle between SVIDEO and COMPOSITE inputs on the same path.
I have one word for this method:   SLOWWWWW...

Other possible ideas which don't work (yet):
1 - There are two Svideo inputs on the back of the Sirius box, however, when
both of the inputs have video signals on them, the results is a screwed up
mess.  What is the second input for if you can't have two inputs?

2 - There is a chance of using VL_MUXSWITCH here, but I can't seem to get
two video source nodes inserted into the same path.  I can create the two
nodes just fine, and I get unique ID's for each, but that's as far as I can
get at the moment.

Any other ideas and/or comments?  Thanks in advance,
                                                        Jarrett L. Redd

2. Money99 Question

3. SGI audio/video syncrony check & serial i/o control

4. barrel distortion correction

5. Effects of 5.2 ==> 5.3 migration on INDY admin, serial & audio I/O?

6. Extractor/Replicator

7. FA: O2 Video & Indy Video/Cosmo/Indy Video 601

8. monitor program for 8751 needed

9. Indy power supply - influence on audio/video

10. Help : Indy 601 video serial digital *in* ?

11. Audio/video problems on an Indy

12. Indy Audio and Video on Irix 6.5

13. Video and audio are dead on Irix 5.3/Indy