1600SW: using with Windows 2000

Post by Darryn Lave » Sun, 26 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Has anyone got this running with Windows 2000? What video card did you use?

Thanks,

Darryn

1600SW: using with Windows 2000

Post by Raymond Sattau » Sun, 26 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I used the Number 9 and the vx1, both are lvds cards.  I have not used the
MLA with 2k as of this time.

RS

Quote:> Hi,

> Has anyone got this running with Windows 2000? What video card did you
use?

> Thanks,

> Darryn

1600SW: using with Windows 2000

Post by The Wago » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I use a 1600 with MLA and my GeForce ddr under win2k with beautiful results.
SGI has a bios and driver on their page, you just have to dig into the
"unsupported" section.

Quote:> Hi,

> Has anyone got this running with Windows 2000? What video card did you
use?

> Thanks,

> Darryn

1600SW: using with Windows 2000

Post by Ian Strang » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 04:00:00

slightly off topic

i'm thinking of getting a new Dell 8100 1500MHz this comes with the 64Mb nVidia
GeForce256 Ultra. (already have 1600SW & MLA)
Is this gfx same as the GeForce ddr ??
what does the ddr stand for ??

Does the driver produce true 1600x1024, and the MLA is just used to convert to
digital or is there scaling being performed by MLA.

(Shame nVidia don't produce a specific version of the above for direct
connection to a 1600SW, aka Oxygen)

Thanks
Ian

--

DCH Consultancy Ltd.              http://www.dch-consultancy.com
Goslings, Manor Farm, West Coker  Tel: +44 (0)1935 862 081

Post by Jonathan W Hendr » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,
> Has anyone got this running with Windows 2000? What video card did you use?

Works fine with the Revolution IV, however there's no way to adjust
the card's properties.

1600SW: using with Windows 2000

Post by Ian Strang » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Be Aware
On their web site they (number nine) say that they have ceased trading !!??

--

DCH Consultancy Ltd.              http://www.dch-consultancy.com
Goslings, Manor Farm, West Coker  Tel: +44 (0)1935 862 081
Somerset, England, BA22 9DT       Fax: +44 (0)1935 864 131

1600SW: using with Windows 2000

Post by Neville Attar » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 09:51:16

DDR  stands for Double Data Rate ....
SDR is single data rate...
the difference is that SDR is refreshed on the falling edge of the clock
while DDR is refreshed twice per clock, on the falling and rising
edge...
this means more bandwidth on the video card... which means more
performance!!! ;)

regarding the ULTRA... be sure it has a DVI out and that it has an
external TDMS... there was someone who bought the Hercules Prophet II
Ultra... it worked great on the 1600sw... with 1600x1024 resolution...

right now i'm trying to find someone who has managed to get that
resolution on a geforce2mx through dvi...

regards
neville

> slightly off topic

> i'm thinking of getting a new Dell 8100 1500MHz this comes with the
64Mb nVidia
> GeForce256 Ultra. (already have 1600SW & MLA)
> Is this gfx same as the GeForce ddr ??
> what does the ddr stand for ??

> Does the driver produce true 1600x1024, and the MLA is just used to
convert to
> digital or is there scaling being performed by MLA.

> (Shame nVidia don't produce a specific version of the above for direct
> connection to a 1600SW, aka Oxygen)

> Thanks
> Ian

> > I use a 1600 with MLA and my GeForce ddr under win2k with beautiful
results.
> > SGI has a bios and driver on their page, you just have to dig into
the
> > "unsupported" section.

> > > Hi,

> > > Has anyone got this running with Windows 2000? What video card
did you
> > use?

> > > Thanks,

> > > Darryn

> --

> DCH Consultancy Ltd.              http://www.dch-consultancy.com
> Goslings, Manor Farm, West Coker  Tel: +44 (0)1935 862 081
> Somerset, England, BA22 9DT       Fax: +44 (0)1935 864 131

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Jonathan W Hendr » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 04:00:00

> Be Aware
> On their web site they (number nine) say that they have ceased trading !!??

That's true, but old news. I'm not going to run out to replace
a satisfactory Number NIne card just because they've been acquired
and shut down. I expect there are other 1600SW owners who have
the Number Nine card and want to use Windows 2K, and they'll
be happy to know that it works well, even if it isn't supported
by Number Nine.

- Jon

>> > Hi,

>> > Has anyone got this running with Windows 2000? What video card did you use?

>> Works fine with the Revolution IV, however there's no way to adjust
>> the card's properties.
> --

> DCH Consultancy Ltd.              http://www.dch-consultancy.com
> Goslings, Manor Farm, West Coker  Tel: +44 (0)1935 862 081
> Somerset, England, BA22 9DT       Fax: +44 (0)1935 864 131

1600SW: using with Windows 2000

Post by Raymond Sattau » Sun, 03 Dec 2000 04:00:00

This is not the ssame as the geforce, the workstaion has a Geforce 2 Ultra,
and the ddr reffers to the type of ram on the card.  This card will not work
with the MLA in digital mode above 1024x768 without artifacts.

You can use the older drivers for compatability with the analog output of
your card,  You can find the drivers and bios here:

http://www.sgi.com/Products/Evaluation/pc_win_quad_driver_5.38/index....

The MLA allows analog, DFP or DVI to be conected to the 1600sw.  The driver
provides not ony 1600x1024, but a special timeing for the 1600sw.

RS

> slightly off topic

> i'm thinking of getting a new Dell 8100 1500MHz this comes with the 64Mb
nVidia
> GeForce256 Ultra. (already have 1600SW & MLA)
> Is this gfx same as the GeForce ddr ??
> what does the ddr stand for ??

> Does the driver produce true 1600x1024, and the MLA is just used to
convert to
> digital or is there scaling being performed by MLA.

> (Shame nVidia don't produce a specific version of the above for direct
> connection to a 1600SW, aka Oxygen)

> Thanks
> Ian

> > I use a 1600 with MLA and my GeForce ddr under win2k with beautiful
results.
> > SGI has a bios and driver on their page, you just have to dig into the
> > "unsupported" section.

> > > Hi,

> > > Has anyone got this running with Windows 2000? What video card did you
> > use?

> > > Thanks,

> > > Darryn

> --

> DCH Consultancy Ltd.              http://www.dch-consultancy.com
> Goslings, Manor Farm, West Coker  Tel: +44 (0)1935 862 081
> Somerset, England, BA22 9DT       Fax: +44 (0)1935 864 131

1600SW: using with Windows 2000

Post by Ian Strang » Tue, 05 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Raymond
Little confused now

-will the, 64Mb nVidia Geforce256 Ultra (on Dell 8100) work directly with the
1600SW at the 1600x1024 res ?
or
-ditto, work indirectly with the MLA to give 1600x1024 ?

I thought that the 1600SW only supported standard VESA up to 1280x1024 and
scaled these to fit 1600x1024 ?
this is how i have it with my old Matrox Millennium  4Mb

Ian

> This is not the ssame as the geforce, the workstaion has a Geforce 2 Ultra,
> and the ddr reffers to the type of ram on the card.  This card will not work
> with the MLA in digital mode above 1024x768 without artifacts.

> You can use the older drivers for compatability with the analog output of
> your card,  You can find the drivers and bios here:

> http://www.sgi.com/Products/Evaluation/pc_win_quad_driver_5.38/index....

> The MLA allows analog, DFP or DVI to be conected to the 1600sw.  The driver
> provides not ony 1600x1024, but a special timeing for the 1600sw.

> RS

> > slightly off topic

> > i'm thinking of getting a new Dell 8100 1500MHz this comes with the 64Mb
> nVidia
> > GeForce256 Ultra. (already have 1600SW & MLA)
> > Is this gfx same as the GeForce ddr ??
> > what does the ddr stand for ??

> > Does the driver produce true 1600x1024, and the MLA is just used to
> convert to
> > digital or is there scaling being performed by MLA.

> > (Shame nVidia don't produce a specific version of the above for direct
> > connection to a 1600SW, aka Oxygen)

> > Thanks
> > Ian

> > > I use a 1600 with MLA and my GeForce ddr under win2k with beautiful
> results.
> > > SGI has a bios and driver on their page, you just have to dig into the
> > > "unsupported" section.

> > > use?

> > --

> > DCH Consultancy Ltd.             http://www.dch-consultancy.com
> > Goslings, Manor Farm, West Coker  Tel: +44 (0)1935 862 081
> > Somerset, England, BA22 9DT       Fax: +44 (0)1935 864 131

--

DCH Consultancy Ltd.              http://www.dch-consultancy.com
Goslings, Manor Farm, West Coker  Tel: +44 (0)1935 862 081
Somerset, England, BA22 9DT       Fax: +44 (0)1935 864 131

1600SW: using with Windows 2000

Post by jk5.. » Sun, 10 Dec 2000 00:33:26

Well, just got the dell 8100, the AGP slot is different, my number nine
card doesn't fit in it. The slot is divided differently. i got the
cheapest video card option from dell, NVIDIA TNT2 M64 4X AGP ,
expecting to use the number nine. i can't go back to analog! But the
TNT2 is the only thing that fits in the stupid AGP slot. Plus, I
installed the latest drivers from nvidia and when i apply the 1600x1024
setting the screen is shifted 3 inches to the right and looks horrible.
I'm running windows 2000 now but applying the setting to 1600x1024 in
windows me worked.

So, what is the deal with the AGP slot?
Is there a digital solution for windows 2000 other than number 9?

thanks

http://www.sgi.com/Products/Evaluation/pc_win_quad_driver_5.38/index.htm

> > The MLA allows analog, DFP or DVI to be conected to the 1600sw.
The driver
> > provides not ony 1600x1024, but a special timeing for the 1600sw.

> > RS

> > > slightly off topic

> > > i'm thinking of getting a new Dell 8100 1500MHz this comes with
the 64Mb
> > nVidia
> > > GeForce256 Ultra. (already have 1600SW & MLA)
> > > Is this gfx same as the GeForce ddr ??
> > > what does the ddr stand for ??

> > > Does the driver produce true 1600x1024, and the MLA is just used
> > convert to
> > > digital or is there scaling being performed by MLA.

> > > (Shame nVidia don't produce a specific version of the above for
direct
> > > connection to a 1600SW, aka Oxygen)

> > > Thanks
> > > Ian

> > results.

message

> > > --

> > > DCH Consultancy Ltd.             http://www.dch-consultancy.com
> > > Goslings, Manor Farm, West Coker  Tel: +44 (0)1935 862 081
> > > Somerset, England, BA22 9DT       Fax: +44 (0)1935 864 131

> --

> DCH Consultancy Ltd.              http://www.dch-consultancy.com
> Goslings, Manor Farm, West Coker  Tel: +44 (0)1935 862 081
> Somerset, England, BA22 9DT       Fax: +44 (0)1935 864 131

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1600SW: using with Windows 2000

Post by Lawrence Nimrichte » Sun, 10 Dec 2000 01:07:28

what is the problem? Does it look like a piece of the slot hangs "outside"
the AGP slot? or will it not go in at all?
--
Lawrence Nimrichter
Technical Director

> Well, just got the dell 8100, the AGP slot is different, my number nine
> card doesn't fit in it. The slot is divided differently. i got the
> cheapest video card option from dell, NVIDIA TNT2 M64 4X AGP ,
> expecting to use the number nine. i can't go back to analog! But the
> TNT2 is the only thing that fits in the stupid AGP slot. Plus, I
> installed the latest drivers from nvidia and when i apply the 1600x1024
> setting the screen is shifted 3 inches to the right and looks horrible.
> I'm running windows 2000 now but applying the setting to 1600x1024 in
> windows me worked.

> So, what is the deal with the AGP slot?
> Is there a digital solution for windows 2000 other than number 9?

> thanks

> > Raymond
> > Little confused now

> > -will the, 64Mb nVidia Geforce256 Ultra (on Dell 8100) work directly
> with the
> > 1600SW at the 1600x1024 res ?
> > or
> > -ditto, work indirectly with the MLA to give 1600x1024 ?

> > I thought that the 1600SW only supported standard VESA up to
> 1280x1024 and
> > scaled these to fit 1600x1024 ?
> > this is how i have it with my old Matrox Millennium  4Mb

> > Ian

> > > This is not the ssame as the geforce, the workstaion has a Geforce
> 2 Ultra,
> > > and the ddr reffers to the type of ram on the card.  This card will
> not work
> > > with the MLA in digital mode above 1024x768 without artifacts.

> > > You can use the older drivers for compatability with the analog
> output of
> > > your card,  You can find the drivers and bios here:

> http://www.sgi.com/Products/Evaluation/pc_win_quad_driver_5.38/index.htm

> > > The MLA allows analog, DFP or DVI to be conected to the 1600sw.
> The driver
> > > provides not ony 1600x1024, but a special timeing for the 1600sw.

> > > RS

> the 64Mb
> > > nVidia

> > > convert to

> direct

> beautiful
> > > results.
> into the

> message

> card did you

> > --

> > DCH Consultancy Ltd.              http://www.dch-consultancy.com
> > Goslings, Manor Farm, West Coker  Tel: +44 (0)1935 862 081
> > Somerset, England, BA22 9DT       Fax: +44 (0)1935 864 131

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1600SW: using with Windows 2000

Post by jk5.. » Sun, 10 Dec 2000 03:23:20

It won't go in at all. the slot divider in the motherboard AGP slot
gets in the way. It looks like the AGP slot is put in backwards
compared to AGP in my old computer. The Tnt2 card slot is divided into
3 sections that is why it fits.

> what is the problem? Does it look like a piece of the slot
hangs "outside"
> the AGP slot? or will it not go in at all?
> --
> Lawrence Nimrichter
> Technical Director
> Atomic Pictures

> > Well, just got the dell 8100, the AGP slot is different, my number
nine
> > card doesn't fit in it. The slot is divided differently. i got the
> > cheapest video card option from dell, NVIDIA TNT2 M64 4X AGP ,
> > expecting to use the number nine. i can't go back to analog! But the
> > TNT2 is the only thing that fits in the stupid AGP slot. Plus, I
> > installed the latest drivers from nvidia and when i apply the
1600x1024
> > setting the screen is shifted 3 inches to the right and looks
horrible.
> > I'm running windows 2000 now but applying the setting to 1600x1024
in
> > windows me worked.

> > So, what is the deal with the AGP slot?
> > Is there a digital solution for windows 2000 other than number 9?

> > thanks

> > > Raymond
> > > Little confused now

> > > -will the, 64Mb nVidia Geforce256 Ultra (on Dell 8100) work
directly
> > with the
> > > 1600SW at the 1600x1024 res ?
> > > or
> > > -ditto, work indirectly with the MLA to give 1600x1024 ?

> > > I thought that the 1600SW only supported standard VESA up to
> > 1280x1024 and
> > > scaled these to fit 1600x1024 ?
> > > this is how i have it with my old Matrox Millennium  4Mb

> > > Ian

Geforce
> > 2 Ultra,
> > not work

> > output of

http://www.sgi.com/Products/Evaluation/pc_win_quad_driver_5.38/index.htm

> > The driver
1600sw.

> > the 64Mb

> > direct

> > beautiful
> > into the

> > message

> > card did you

consultancy.com
consultancy.com

> > > --

> > > DCH Consultancy Ltd.              http://www.dch-consultancy.com
> > > Goslings, Manor Farm, West Coker  Tel: +44 (0)1935 862 081
> > > Somerset, England, BA22 9DT       Fax: +44 (0)1935 864 131

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1600SW: using with Windows 2000

Post by Lawrence Nimrichte » Sun, 10 Dec 2000 04:36:59

You might want to look into the differences in AGP 1x, 2x, and 4x. If memory
serves me right by designing the slot on the graphics card can be 4x for
instance and by doing what you are saying they can make it not fit in a 1x
if they know there are compatability problems. I could be very wrong but its
worth you looking into. And I would check to be sure your graphics card
isn't a PCI one ;)

--
Lawrence Nimrichter
Technical Director

Post by Alexis Cousei » Sun, 10 Dec 2000 07:47:20

> So, what is the deal with the AGP slot?
> Is there a digital solution for windows 2000 other than number 9?

There's the Oxygen VX1-1600SW (straight OpenLDI, no Multilink adapter
necessary), and e.g. a number of NVidia cards plus the Multilink adapter
-- just make sure they have a DVI-I that's capable (i.e. pick a
GEForce1/Quadro based card, or a Quadro2, but not a GEForce2 GTS - my
current guess about the GEForce2 MX is that it should look more like its
Quadro2 MXR NV11/NV11GL sibling in this respect than the "marketing
name" sibling GEForce2 GTS).

It's just analog that's broken in the 5.38 Windows 2000 superwide-savvy
drivers, IIRC.

BTW, if you have things like pixel shifts or moire patterns in analog --
the clock period and phase can be tuned on the MLA menu.