Where to Buy: HDB15 to HDB15 Cable for O2 to GDM-17E21

Where to Buy: HDB15 to HDB15 Cable for O2 to GDM-17E21

Post by Grant M Ericks » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I recently purchased a SGI GDM-17E21 monitor, which unfortunately did not
come with a HDB15 to HDB15 cable similar to that bundled with O2 systems.

As such, I traveled to my local computer retail chain in search of the
"best" HDB15 to HDB15 monitor cable they had. After repeated assurances
that the Belkin "Gold-Plated" cable was as capable as the snake-like cable
shipped with O2, systems I bought it.

Much to my dismay, with the new cable, the formerly rock-steady and razor
sharp image on the GDM-17E21 turned to a blurry, wavy, ghost-filled one.

Does anyone know of a good source where I could get such a cable? SGI
perhaps? It is about 1/4" thick, has molded connectors on each end, and
has a torus magnet molded onto each end. The part number on the sheath of
my cable here at work says "018-0530-001 REV E VIST 9707".

Regards,

Grant
--
 Grant M. Erickson                           University of Minnesota

  o http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/g496/eric0139/

Post by Ed Hal » Tue, 16 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> I recently purchased a SGI GDM-17E21 monitor, which unfortunately did not
> come with a HDB15 to HDB15 cable similar to that bundled with O2 systems.

> As such, I traveled to my local computer retail chain in search of the
> "best" HDB15 to HDB15 monitor cable they had. After repeated assurances
> that the Belkin "Gold-Plated" cable was as capable as the snake-like cable
> shipped with O2, systems I bought it.

> Much to my dismay, with the new cable, the formerly rock-steady and razor
> sharp image on the GDM-17E21 turned to a blurry, wavy, ghost-filled one.

> Does anyone know of a good source where I could get such a cable? SGI
> perhaps? It is about 1/4" thick, has molded connectors on each end, and
> has a torus magnet molded onto each end. The part number on the sheath of
> my cable here at work says "018-0530-001 REV E VIST 9707".

> Regards,

> Grant
> --
>  Grant M. Erickson                           University of Minnesota

>   o http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/g496/eric0139/

Grant,
The problem is caused by using a cable built with discreet wiring
instead of internal coax cables for the 3 video signals. In short
lengths the toroids won't have any noticeable effect on the signal
quality, they really are interference filters for the outer cable shield
rather than the actual signals.
Ed Hall
--
Ultra Spec Cables, Inc.     _____  _________
170 Oberlin Ave. North     |_____||         |>_

1. GDM-17E21 & O2

I've got a GDM-17E21 monitor hooked to an Indigo2.  The Indigo is about to
be replaced with an O2 - am I going to have problems with this monitor with
this computer?
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Use my home address:

Sorry 'bout the munged address.  Blame the spam scam scum.
I don't like a 95% spam (literally!) mailbox.

2. Truetype

3. Monitors - 13W3 to HDB15

4. Axent Raptor Firewall

5. FS: GDM-17E21 Monitors - NEW -

6. WinZip 8.1

7. FS: GDM-17E21 - NEW -

8. Random inactivity of an active window

9. GDM-17E21 in Stereo on ONYX2

10. WTB: SGI GDM-17E21

11. GDM-17E21 monitor

12. FS: GDM 17E21 CRT's For O2 $ 475.