ZX10 pricing question

Post by Jay Brau » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 05:32:45

Is $10,000 a good price for a dual-Pentium-III ZX10 workstation with 2
GB RAM and 2 18-GB SCSI hard drives?  No monitor is included.

Jay

ZX10 pricing question

Post by mloeffle.. » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 07:17:45

I would not spend that much for a Intel based system but that is me.

Michael Loeffler

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

ZX10 pricing question

www.buyanOCTANE2.com :)

--
  Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives
                -Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

  Ben Cannon
  Lead Artist.
  Dream With Your Eyes Wide Open, Inc.

   - Visual - Innovative - Provocative -

  http://www.dreamwithyoureyeswideopen.com
--

ZX10 pricing question

Post by Alberto Baudacc » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 19:24:25

> Is $10,000 a good price for a dual-Pentium-III ZX10 workstation with 2
> GB RAM and 2 18-GB SCSI hard drives?  No monitor is included.

> Jay

It looks a pretty fair price (because of the 2GB of RAM) only if it is
configured with the Wildcat 4210...
I would try to get the 21" monitor included in the price, though... or to
lower it a little bit, let's say to $8500-$9000.

Remeber that you need really ***EXTREME*** 3D performance to justify the
buy of such a system... If you do not really need this performance I
think you should happily stick with a SGI 330 (or even a 320... they are
becoming really good bargains in the price/performance ratio). 10000$ is
really a lot of money for an NT box, in a few months you could buy it for
a very lower price...

If you need this kind of 3D performance, you have only 2 choices: ZX10 or
an Octane2 V8/V12... Octanes run IRIX :)) but they are much more
expensive, you can find less software, and if they follow the
depreciation of  Octane1, in a couple of years its value will be a fifth
of the money you spent on it (I know something about it... I bought an
Octane MXE 18 months ago for $43000+VAT (so roughly $51000), now that I
want to sell it, I don't know if I'll be able to reach $14k-$15k.

Anyway, this is just my point of view, and I can be totally wrong.... up
to you ... :)))

Bye

Alberto

ZX10 pricing question

Post by to.. » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 19:48:46

It would depend a lot on graphics card it has and CPU speed.

If it has a Matrox card - not good value at all.
Wildcat 4110 - reasonable value but could be better.
Wildcat 4210 - good value.

What are you using for anyway?  Have you considered a 550 or IRIX box.
The 550 has the edge on the Zx10 for CPU and RAM performance. And
should (!) cost less.

IRIX box will do all the above, crash less, and still be worth
something in 3 years time.....

Best of luck!

Toby.

Quote:> Is $10,000 a good price for a dual-Pentium-III ZX10 workstation with 2
> GB RAM and 2 18-GB SCSI hard drives?  No monitor is included.

> Jay

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

ZX10 pricing question

Post by Alexis Cousei » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 20:52:16

> It would depend a lot on graphics card it has and CPU speed.

> If it has a Matrox card - not good value at all.
> Wildcat 4110 - reasonable value but could be better.
> Wildcat 4210 - good value.

> What are you using for anyway?  Have you considered a 550 or IRIX box.
> The 550 has the edge on the Zx10 for CPU and RAM performance.

One of the good things about a ZX10 is that it offers memory bandwidth
that's larger than what a single SDRAM subsystem can give you, but
without the higher memory latencies associated with RAMBUS RDRAM (as on
a 550), it ships with two 66MHz 64 bit PCI buses, and it ships with the
fastest processors SGI can get their hands on. So I wouldn't bet
anything on the statement in the last sentence (in fact, I have some
applications for which a 330 beats a 550) ;).

--
Alexis Cousein                          System Engineer

ZX10 pricing question

Post by Alexis Cousei » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 20:39:40

> Is $10,000 a good price for a dual-Pentium-III ZX10 workstation with 2
> GB RAM and 2 18-GB SCSI hard drives?  No monitor is included.

But a gfx card is, and you haven't said which one. A Wildcat 4210 is
"slightly" more expensive than a Matrox G400 ;).

--
Alexis Cousein                          System Engineer