INDY Data Cache

Post by Mike Kelleh » Sun, 23 Jan 1994 00:02:39

        Is the data cache in the Indy a hard cache or a soft, setable one?
after typing hinv, I noticed that the data cache is 8 Kilobytes, which
seems pretty low. Can I set this higher, and if I can, how?

Thanks,

Mike

   __  __
  / / / /  Mike Kelleher

INDY Data Cache

Post by Dave Ols » Sun, 23 Jan 1994 17:46:46

|       Is the data cache in the Indy a hard cache or a soft, setable one?
| after typing hinv, I noticed that the data cache is 8 Kilobytes, which
| seems pretty low. Can I set this higher, and if I can, how?

This is a real, hardware cache; it's part of the R4000 chip.
You are apparently thinking of the buffer cache for files, or something
like that.
--

The most beautiful things in the world are              |   Dave Olson
those from which all excess weight has been             |   Silicon Graphics

INDY Data Cache

Post by Alex Madara » Tue, 25 Jan 1994 20:59:45

Quote:edu (Mike Kelleher) writes:

:
:       Is the data cache in the Indy a hard cache or a soft, setable one?
: after typing hinv, I noticed that the data cache is 8 Kilobytes, which
: seems pretty low. Can I set this higher, and if I can, how?
:

First, as Dave Olson says, tell us what _you_ mean by "data cache"!

Second, as far as hardware cache memory goes, there are two flavors in
the Indy world - "primary" (on-chip) cache and "secondary" (off-chip)
cache - and as far as I know neither is user-configurable.

All R4000s used in the Indy line have an 8KB data and 8KB instruction
primary cache on the R4000 CPU itself.  The IndyPC uses an R4000PC
(for "Primary Cache only") CPU daughterboard with no secondary cache
memory.  The IndySC (and the Indigo^2, Indigo R4K, ...) uses an R4000SC
(for "Secondary Cache") CPU daughterboard with 1MB of secondary cache
memory.  The secondary cache on the R4000SC is the reason why the
IndySC beats up the IndyPC in the SPECint/SPECfp ratings:  58/60 to
34/35.

As an aside, the R4400 CPU doubles the amount of primary (on-chip) data
and instruction cache memory to 16 + 16 = 32KB total.

---  Alex  ---

1. Secondary unified instruction/data cache size

I have the following INDY machine:

Iris Audio Processor: version A2 revision 4.1.0
1 150 MHZ IP22 Processor
FPU: MIPS R4010 Floating Point Chip Revision: 0.0
CPU: MIPS R4400 Processor Chip Revision: 5.0
On-board serial ports: 2
On-board bi-directional parallel port
Data cache size: 16 Kbytes
Instruction cache size: 16 Kbytes
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 1 Mbyte
Main memory size: 64 Mbytes
Integral ISDN: Basic Rate Interface unit 0, revision 1.0
Integral Ethernet: ec0, version 1
Integral SCSI controller 0: Version WD33C93B, revision D
CDROM: unit 6 on SCSI controller 0
Disk drive / removable media: unit 5 on SCSI controller 0
Tape drive: unit 4 on SCSI controller 0: DAT
Disk drive: unit 3 on SCSI controller 0
Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0
Graphics board: Indy 24-bit
Vino video: unit 0, revision 0, IndyCam connected

what I need to know. Is there a way to upgrade my
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size to 2 meg. like you have done in
your INDIGO 2's

Bob Haskin, Owner
CADDman

PHONE:     (503) 285-6755       |       SERVING YOUR NEEDS SINCE 1989
FAX/MODEM: (503) 285-9823       | WE WILL DESIGN & DETAIL FROM CONCEPT TO COMPL.
|==============================================================================|
|        -=>> CADDman Home Page: http://www.teleport.com/~caddman <<=-

===============================================================================|
| SGI Work Station. / SDRC I-DEAS Master Series / CADKEY / AUTOCAD             |
| Services:                                                                    |
|           3D Modeling * Solid Based Design & Analysis * Jigs & Fixtures      |
|        Robotics * Automation Systems * Plastic Part / Mold Design & Detail   |
|    Structural Detailing * Weldments * Fabrications * Machine Detail Drawings
|
|           Machine Retrofits & Modifications * Reverse Part Engineering
|
|              Packaging & Printing Machine Design * Piping Drawing

2. SHARP OZ-650 Pocket Organizer

3. data & instruction cache size upgrade for PI?

4. Saving a bitmap (entire screen contents) to disk

5. Data Cache on a Power Challenge XL

6. Imagine a scenery world that is real!

7. HELP cpu xfer data limt and no free cache errors

8. DCE and OS2

9. Controlling Data Cache

10. Indy R4600: no secondary cache?

11. cache/ecc error on Indy R4600SC-133