NT Apps on an SGI ? Want Best of Both Worlds

NT Apps on an SGI ? Want Best of Both Worlds

Post by Youn » Wed, 13 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I'd like an entry level machine where I could run both
my NT and Unix apps on.  How much do I need to spend to
get an SGI ?  I'm stand alone.

thanks for any info..

Doug Youngs

Post by James Felix Bla » Wed, 13 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> I'd like an entry level machine where I could run both
> my NT and Unix apps on.  How much do I need to spend to
> get an SGI ?  I'm stand alone.

Sorry friend, it looks like Intel for you.  No NT on SGI.  A decent
Pentium with 32mb RAM would run Linux/*BSD and NT 3.51 just dandily.  I
don't think that another platform offers both NT and a **ix.  Not going to
get any cheaper than Intel, however.

JFB

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - HL Mencken

NT Apps on an SGI ? Want Best of Both Worlds

Post by Alex Madara » Fri, 15 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I don't think that another platform offers both NT and a **ix.

DEC's AlphaStations are available with NT, Digital Unix or OpenVMS - see

 http://www2.service.digital.com/DECdirect/html/AlphaStation-Workstati...

for the AlphaStation summary.

1. Networking SGI, Apple and NT, looking for best way.

I have the following environmenment that I need to network to a central NT
server runing NT Server 4.0 and its RAID storage system.

2 Apple G4 PowerMac's running OS 9
1 Apple G3 PowerBook Running OS 9
1 NT Workstation Running 4.0
1 SGI Octane Running Irix 6.5.5
1 SGI Onyx Running Irix 6.2 "this system will have the VME 100BT option"

Now the real question is how best to network the systems together, the
physical interface is easy and will be 100Bt ethernet, thats no problem.
Now from a talk standpoint what solutions do you all recomend?  They must be
easy to use, reliable and as quick as possible as these will be a bunch of
editor's pussing large amounts of uncompressed video back and forth from the
NT server.  Now the systems do not half to talk to each other, only the NT
server box, although if they could or some could that would be cool as well.
My first thought is to just run a FTP server on the NT server and have them
ftp, in. My other thoughts were appletalk? I know the NT box has appltetalk
support but i dont know if it can be an appletalk server, or if the 6.3 Irix
Onyx supports Appletalk? And does anyone know if appletalk has a speed
limit?  Other thoughts were Smaba "but do mac's dont support it?" and this
would not let the NT box be the server of the RAID storage? Last would be a
3rd party app Like XS or that app from Intergraph that lets you talk to
SGI's from NT and vice vs.  In the end the storage must be on the NT box for
OFFLINE use, in other words copy and send only, not use directly off the
Array.  Can anyone share their solutions, of that does work and not work and
the Pro's and con's.  Price is an option as well.  In the end it looks like
FTP connections are the quick, cheap and dirty way of doing this.  Thanks
and feel free to point out thing I have missed or overlooked.

2. SSC

3. Wanted: vendors for SGI apps

4. Dye Sub Prints - does Kodak laminate make a difference?

5. Best 3D app

6. Oracle Product/Termonolinology

7. wanted: Cosmo World 2.0 for IRIX

8. Word Perfect 6.0 DOS Printer Drivers

9. NT emulation apps

10. Can SGI machine run NT and NT application

11. WANTED: What is the best DAT Drive for the Indigo 2

12. WANTED: calendar/planner app

13. SGI World? SGI Week?