Indigo2 digital audio volume control

Post by Derek Konigsber » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 01:42:37

Hello,
        I have an Indigo2, and frequently use the digital S/PDIF audio output.
However, I've noticed the complete and utter lack of a volume control on
the SGI's end when playing music through the digital output.  My speakers
have a volume control, but sometimes it is too loud even at the lowest
possible setting on them.
        Is there any way to adjust the output volume on the machine when I'm using
digital audio output?

Post by Walter Robers » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 08:26:51

:        I have an Indigo2, and frequently use the digital S/PDIF audio output.
:However, I've noticed the complete and utter lack of a volume control on
:the SGI's end when playing music through the digital output.  My speakers
:have a volume control, but sometimes it is too loud even at the lowest
:possible setting on them.
:        Is there any way to adjust the output volume on the machine when I'm using
:digital audio output?

You could multiply all the samples by a scaling value < 1. Not
as convenient as one might hope, but S/PDIF *is* digital, so
if the hardware at the remote end cannot handle the *values* being
sent to it, you will have to send it different values.

Indigo2 digital audio volume control

Post by Sven Hazejage » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 19:12:19

Hi,

Since the output is an exact copy of the audio file, there is no way of
changing the volume. Volume is not at all relevant with digital I/O.
Normally, one would change the volume after the DAC. Another way is
editing the sound file of course, but that would decrease quality.

Regards,

Sven

> Hello,
>         I have an Indigo2, and frequently use the digital S/PDIF audio output.
> However, I've noticed the complete and utter lack of a volume control on
> the SGI's end when playing music through the digital output.  My speakers
> have a volume control, but sometimes it is too loud even at the lowest
> possible setting on them.
>         Is there any way to adjust the output volume on the machine when I'm using
> digital audio output?

1. Digital Audio Card DA1100 540 Audio control panel won't open!

Anybody have the same problem? After installing the driver for the card, and
trying to open (digital audio control panel) a error message pops up:

The procedure entry point dmVideoSetJackControl could not be located in the
dynamic link library sgimedia.dll

Anybody know any remedies to this problem..

Mucho thanks

Kitsu

2. Hombanking Standard HBCI

3. Audio volume control on an O2

4. publishing problem

5. Audio Control - setting volume at log-in

6. Statistics on number of processors in production

7. Digital I/O jack for digital audio output

8. Immediate Response

9. Indigo2 + digital audio

10. Digital audio port on Indigo2

11. Apanel with volume control only

12. SGI audio/video syncrony check & serial i/o control

13. Audio Sound Volume