Indigo2 won't boot 6.5 from CD, crashes after loading image

Indigo2 won't boot 6.5 from CD, crashes after loading image

Post by Richard Lefebv » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

I'm trying to upgrade my Indigo2 (running 5.3) to 6.5. So I go for the
miniroot installation from CDs (doing the same thing I did for a
Power Indigo2 {running 6.2}) but after the miniroot is loaded, IRIX 6.5
seem to start, up to showing the first line of /hw/... then the system
crashes. With the following message:

PANIC: KERNEL FAULT
PC: 0x88046e84 ep:0xffffc498
Bad addr: 0xe06c784, cause 0xb0000034<BD, CE=-2008613704
[press reset to restart the system]

I tried to install again, this time it tells me that miniroot didn't
load properly, should it try to continue booting, continue booting with
fixing the miniroot, or reload the miniroot. Option 2 and 3 gives me
the same error. Option 1 added the line

EXC code 52, `Trap Instruction'

between PC: and Bad addr: then a second and third time I got:

Panic: init died (why = 3, what = 0xb )

Any help on what steps I can take? Or what the problem is, or could be?

Rick
--
Richard Lefebvre, Sys-admin, CERCA, (514)369-5224            "Don't Panic"

http://www.CERCA.UMontreal.CA/~rick/

Indigo2 won't boot 6.5 from CD, crashes after loading image

Post by Richard Lefebv » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I forgot, also since trying to load 6.5, the system boots in "sash"
mode. I accually need to type boot each time I reboot the machine.
I can't seem to find which PROM variable has been changed.

Rick

--

Post by Walter Robers » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

:I forgot, also since trying to load 6.5, the system boots in "sash"
:mode. I accually need to type boot each time I reboot the machine.
:I can't seem to find which PROM variable has been changed.

sash mode or inst mode?

If it is sash mode, then your disk might be missing the knowledge
that /unix is the boot file. dvhtool, or fx /label/set/boot can be used
to set that on disk.

If it is inst mode, then possibly your OSLoadPartition or 'root' PROM
variables are set to point to the swap partition.

Indigo2 won't boot 6.5 from CD, crashes after loading image

Post by Walter Robers » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

|:I forgot, also since trying to load 6.5, the system boots in "sash"
|:mode. I accually need to type boot each time I reboot the machine.
|:I can't seem to find which PROM variable has been changed.
|
|sash mode or inst mode?
|
|If it is sash mode, then your disk might be missing the knowledge
|that /unix is the boot file. dvhtool, or fx /label/set/boot can be used
|to set that on disk.

Thinking again, the likely cause for stopping at boot time would
be if the Autoboot variable is not Y.

1. Indy won't boot from 6.5 cd

Hi all,

Got an Indy R4600 with 96 megs ram, no HD.

Popped in a 4 gig lacie. Plugged an external Toshiba XM-5401B cd rom
with an active terminator. boot the indy, hit 'esc', then 'F5'.

typed "hinv"
System: IP22
Processor: 100 MHz R4600, with FPU
Primary I-cache size: 16 Kbytes
Primary D-cache size: 16 Kbytes
Memory size: 96 Mbytes
Graphics board: Indy 8-bit
SCSI Disk: scsi(0)disk(2)
SCSI CDROM: scsi(0)disk(6)
Audio: Iris Audio Processor: version A2 revision 4.1.0

then I typed:

boot -f dksc(0,6,8)sashARCS dksc(0,6,7)stand/fx.arcs --x

The cdrom comes to life. Then I get the resulting codes:

13240+22736+3216+341792+49304d+4620+6880 entry: 0x8dfa5f10

The system then hangs (no response from mouse or keyboard). I have to
force a shutdown.

Does this mean the CDROM isn't bootable? Could it be some sort of
temination issue? Could it be the HD (although i doubt it) which was
pulled from a mac.

In earlier attempts i  tried 'boot -f dksc(0,6,8)sashARCS' and got to
the sash prompt - although it displayed a series of numbers similar to
the ones above. Even earlier attempts gave 'Illegal f_magic number
0xbe5, expected MIPSELMAGIC or MIPSEBMAGIC' exception: ,vector=utlb
miss>, etc....

Thanks for your help!
Dave

2. More on Ram and Win98

3. Indigo2 won't load 5.2,5.3 but will load 6.2

4. Macro Help

5. Indy Irix 6.5 - Won't Boot

6. DIMACS Implementation Challenge III

7. URGENT HELP: SGI UNIX IRIX 5.3 box won't boot ("cannot load /sash:)

8. Storage Card Access

9. Error loading miniroot from 6.5 CD's

10. Indigo2 won't play music CD's

11. Toshiba 3601 CD won't boot Indy R5000 -- any clues?

12. Indigo2 Won't Boot

13. Indigo2 won't boot after move down the hall