SGI 320 and secondary PCI video card (ATI Radeon 7500 PCI)

SGI 320 and secondary PCI video card (ATI Radeon 7500 PCI)

Post by Dan Isaacs » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 05:15:49

I saw on Milton Adamou website (great site) that one could add a PCI
video card to the 320 so I did some research and found this Radeon
7500 card supported the 3.3 volt PCI bus.  I installed the card under
fresh install of Win2k latest SGI drivers etc.  Under device manager
the SGI Cobalt (as usual) has the "hardware problem" even though it
works fine, but unfortunatly so does the Radeon 7500.  So when I open
the Properties of the Radeon 7500 it reads:

Quote:>This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code
12)

>If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the

other >devices on this system.

Quote:

>Click Troubleshooter to start the troubleshooter for this device.

We know the troubleshooter isn't going to fix anything.  So I called
ATI's tech support and they said a (Code 12) means the card can't find
a free shadow memory address.  He even gave me the address ranges:

Quote:> C8000-CBFFF or CC000-CFFFF

So does anyone know a possible solution?  I was thinking of trying to
get into the backdoor command PROM to maybe assign those resources but
unfortunatly no one knows much about it...

If there's anyone out there running a second video card on a 320
please check the resources the card is using and relay them back here.
 It would be greatly appriciated.

SGI 320 and secondary PCI video card (ATI Radeon 7500 PCI)

Post by Bart De Lathouwe » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:35:51

Dan

I got my 540 to use an old Matrix Mystique, but funny enough another (other
version) Mystique to not work. The card that does work does not mention a
version....

Bart

Quote:> I saw on Milton Adamou website (great site) that one could add a PCI
> video card to the 320 so I did some research and found this Radeon
> 7500 card supported the 3.3 volt PCI bus.  I installed the card under
> fresh install of Win2k latest SGI drivers etc.  Under device manager
> the SGI Cobalt (as usual) has the "hardware problem" even though it
> works fine, but unfortunatly so does the Radeon 7500.  So when I open
> the Properties of the Radeon 7500 it reads:

> >This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code
> 12)

> >If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the
> other >devices on this system.

> >Click Troubleshooter to start the troubleshooter for this device.

> We know the troubleshooter isn't going to fix anything.  So I called
> ATI's tech support and they said a (Code 12) means the card can't find
> a free shadow memory address.  He even gave me the address ranges:

> > C8000-CBFFF or CC000-CFFFF

> So does anyone know a possible solution?  I was thinking of trying to
> get into the backdoor command PROM to maybe assign those resources but
> unfortunatly no one knows much about it...

> If there's anyone out there running a second video card on a 320
> please check the resources the card is using and relay them back here.
>  It would be greatly appriciated.

SGI 320 and secondary PCI video card (ATI Radeon 7500 PCI)

Post by Bart De Lathouwe » Thu, 28 Nov 2002 04:33:02

In the DirectX on 320 a solution? thread I spotted:
Millenium II PCI and MGA100 PCI

Haven't tested it, I can't confirm.