Apple, NEC CD-ROM Drives on SGI?

Post by Joseph A. Couns » Wed, 20 Apr 1994 18:39:22

Hello everyone,

I am in need of upgrading our operating system from a CD, and have an old
4D/25 which only has a tape drive on it.  Of course, the media as now
distributed is CD, so I need to put a CD-ROM reader on the system to do the
upgrade.  I have a couple of CD-ROM drives I could use:  an older Apple CD,
and an NEC CDR-36 -- both of which I use on Macintosh systems (SCSI
interface).  My questions are:  Is there a way I can use either one of
these CD-ROM drives on the SGI?  Will the software drivers on the 4D/25
handle either one of these drives?  Do I need to obtain some driver
software from somewhere before I can use one of these drives?

Thanks in advance!
| Joseph A. Counsil, Research Engineer, University of Missouri - Rolla |

| 142 Schrenk Hall, Rolla, MO 65401        Amateur Radio: -= KB0FPD =- |

Post by Dave Ols » Fri, 22 Apr 1994 19:14:30

| I am in need of upgrading our operating system from a CD, and have an old
| 4D/25 which only has a tape drive on it.  Of course, the media as now
| distributed is CD, so I need to put a CD-ROM reader on the system to do the
| upgrade.  I have a couple of CD-ROM drives I could use:  an older Apple CD,
| and an NEC CDR-36 -- both of which I use on Macintosh systems (SCSI
| interface).  My questions are:  Is there a way I can use either one of
| these CD-ROM drives on the SGI?  Will the software drivers on the 4D/25
| handle either one of these drives?  Do I need to obtain some driver
| software from somewhere before I can use one of these drives?

I've had very poor luck with CDROM drives designed to work with the Mac
(well, usually the firwmare).  From all reports, so have most customers...
--

The most beautiful things in the world are              |   Dave Olson
those from which all excess weight has been             |   Silicon Graphics

1. NEC CD-ROM drives on an SGI?

Several NEC 6X CD-ROM drives came into our possession, and it would be
really helpful if we could convince our Indigo2 running IRIX 5.3 to
recognize them.  We would appreciate any useful suggestions that would
help use these drives.  The block size is set at 2k since the drives are
meant for Macs or PCs and can only be changed in software, but how can
you change the block size to 512 in IRIX?

Thanks,
Mark

2. Wanted: PPPoE firmware for SpeedStream 5660

3. NEC CD-ROM Drive

4. enabling modem callerId?

5. How? NEC 2x CD-ROM drive on Indy

6. Convert PC fonts to MAC

7. NEC CD-ROM Drives and an Indigo R3k...

8. SAP & ODBC C/S development tool trial version available

9. NEC CD-ROM Drives

10. NEC CDR-73 CD-ROM Drive on an Indy

11. NEC 6xe SCSI CD-ROM Drive

12. Apple 2x CD-ROM Drive