Problems with System Recovery

Post by Aviva Bass » Sat, 26 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I am attempting to replace my 560MB internal hard drive
with a 4GB hard drive.  I formatted the new drive, did
a mkfs on it, and did a full system backup using the
System Manager Backup & Recovery tool (PI with IRIX 5.2)
I pulled my old hard drive out and booted up with new hard
drive set to SCSI ID 1.  Since UNIX wasn't yet installed
on this drive, the Maintenance Menu came up and I chose
option 4, System Recovery.  I told it to install the
miniroot from CDROM, which it did.  I then told it to
restore the system from /dev/tape which it began doing.

However, after it got done with the first tape
and prompted me for the second tape, it came back with
an error message stating that the inserted tape wasn't
part of the backup I had just done!  I thought there
might be something wrong with the tapes I had backed up
onto, so I restored my old hard drive and then brought
out some brand new tapes and backed up the drive again.
However, I got the same error when I tried to restore
and it got to the second tape again.

Has anyone tried to do a System Recovery?  What am I doing
wrong?  Does the backup need to be performed with some
switch to enable it to span multiple tapes correctly?
The Insight docs said I had to use the System Manager
Backup & Restore tool (which I did) in order to be able
to use the System Recovery but makes no mention of any
other special precautions.  Any help would be appreciated.

***                Aviva Bassan                    ***
***            Mechanical Engineer                 ***
***     Naval Warfare Assessment Division          ***
***            Corona,  California                 ***

Problems with System Recovery

Post by Marty Marr » Wed, 30 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I have a full bru backup of my whole Irix4.0.5 4Gb system. We lost the
system disk so I would like to restore only / and /usr from the tape.

When I follow the System Recovery procedure with only a new system
disk plugged in I am unable to selectively recover part of the
backup. It instead tries to stuff all the other partitions into /root which
immediately overflows.

What's the best way to recover just part of this system?
--
 /\/\   /\/\  Marty Marra,  Vexcel Corporation, 2477 55th St.

Post by Dave Ols » Wed, 30 Aug 1995 04:00:00

| I have a full bru backup of my whole Irix4.0.5 4Gb system. We lost the
| system disk so I would like to restore only / and /usr from the tape.
|
| When I follow the System Recovery procedure with only a new system
| disk plugged in I am unable to selectively recover part of the
| backup. It instead tries to stuff all the other partitions into /root which
| immediately overflows.
|
| What's the best way to recover just part of this system?

bru -xv file1 file2 dir1 dir2 dir3

That is, list all the files in /, and all the dirs not containing
mounted filesystems.   Use bru -t first, if you aren't sure; if
the tape is a full backup, one of the first 3 or 4 files on the tape
is a file listing the mounted filesystems.

Boot the miniroot in single user mode
to do this (5.x lets you enter sh at the system recovery script
prompts to get a shell).
--

The most beautiful things in the world | Dave Olson, Silicon Graphics
are those from which all excess weight | http://reality.sgi.com/employees/olson

Post by Dave Ols » Sun, 03 Sep 1995 04:00:00

| However, after it got done with the first tape
| and prompted me for the second tape, it came back with
| an error message stating that the inserted tape wasn't
| part of the backup I had just done!  I thought there
| might be something wrong with the tapes I had backed up
| onto, so I restored my old hard drive and then brought
| out some brand new tapes and backed up the drive again.
| However, I got the same error when I tried to restore
| and it got to the second tape again.

Had you ever verified the backups?  This sounds like a bug that
could have occurred under irix5.2 when byte swapped tapes were used,
with some drive types, and bru  The hack to get past it (while losing some
data) was to do mt fsr 30, and use the bru -F option to skip over
the beginning of the second tape.
--

The most beautiful things in the world | Dave Olson, Silicon Graphics
are those from which all excess weight | http://reality.sgi.com/employees/olson

1. System Recovery problems

I have a 4D35TG, (IP12 CPU), basically a Personal Iris, running IRIX 5.2.

Here is the problem: I have a 600 Mb disk and a 1 Gb disk
bound together as a logical volume. I have done a full save from
the System Manager B&R tool to a 8mm tape on a remote machine.

What I want to do it to restore the system to my brand new 2 Gb disk,
and not have a logical volume anymore.

When I attempt to recover the system, it tries to re-create the logical
volume, instead of just restoring to the new /usr. I've tried tricks such
as giving a bru command from a shell, and mounting /usr manually with
no success. If I recover the system in dummy mode, it just starts restoring
files until it fills up the root partition.

Am I stuck with logical volumes forever? Help!

Last plea: Due to a funding snafu on our current contract, I have *no*
technical support available to me. If you have *any* ideas on this
subject, please either post or E-Mail.

Thanks for your time.

--
     Steve Pearson      | Radio: "Well, things could be worse, you know."
Computer Sciences Corp. | Lampy: "How? How could things be worse?"

2. CV64 3D Scan Doubler In A2000

3. System Disk Data Recovery Service?

4. Upgrade Question - 7.0.12.2 to 7.0.15.4

5. System Recovery (6.5.4)

6. what best to start Next Cube or Station ?

7. Using Third Party DAT for System Recovery (How to?)

8. IPX/EIGRP Routing

9. System Recovery,

10. Bug in system recovery ?

11. SYSTEM RECOVERY TOOL