More parallel ports for VW 540 ?

Post by Kris Dudkiewic » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

The problem is as follows. We need one more parallel port in VW 540 (apart
from the one already on board). We have unsuccessfully tried some local
brand of PCI card (which is based on Alter's chip Max 3000 series). It did
not work in 540, although there were no problems installing it in any
regular NT workstation.

I have to add that both parallel ports are used in a timing dependent
fashion, which means that no solutions like Serial/USB <-> parallel
converters are expected work.

The question is: has anyone ever faced same problem and was successfull in
solving it ? I would be grateful for naming card brand, manufacturer, etc.,
possibly some hints like what problems were involved ?

Best regards,
Kris.

More parallel ports for VW 540 ?

Post by zolotr.. » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> The problem is as follows. We need one more parallel port in VW 540
(apart
> from the one already on board). We have unsuccessfully tried some
local
> brand of PCI card (which is based on Alter's chip Max 3000 series).
It did
> not work in 540, although there were no problems installing it in any
> regular NT workstation.

  Question:  Did you make sure to install the card in a 5 volt slot and
not one of the 3.3 volt slots?  The 540, unlike the 320, has both.
Unless you're sure the parallel port card is a universal or 3.3 volt
card (which it's probably not), you'll have to use a 5 volt slot.

-zolo

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Piotr Szukalsk » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

>   Question:  Did you make sure to install the card in a 5 volt slot and
> not one of the 3.3 volt slots?  The 540, unlike the 320, has both.
> Unless you're sure the parallel port card is a universal or 3.3 volt
> card (which it's probably not), you'll have to use a 5 volt slot.

> -zolo

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I'm sure, I install the card in 5 volt slot.
The 3.3 volt slots are different in construction form 5 volt slots, and
it's impossible to put 5 volt only cart to 3.3 volt slot

--
Piotr Szukalski Orad Hi-Tec Systems Poland
ul. Szczerkowa 10; 71-751 Szczecin Poland

1. VW 540 OS Install Hangs/BSOD's

Hello all,

I'm generally a diehard DIY, but this one is stumping me.

I have an SGI 540 with four processors that is having some problems with OS
installation.  I have tried using the SGI Recovery CD's, Windows 2000 Pro
and Windows 2000 Advanced Server to get an OS running on it.  It is
seemingly in pristine physical condition.  It most recently was set up to
dual boot NT4 and Win2k Pro, however I deleted those partitions to make way
for Win2K-Advanced Server after adding two more processors to the
machine...a fatal mistake as you will see.  I didn't anticipate the problems
below since the setup was stable for 2 years.

With each installation attempt the installation process halts right after
initial device drivers are loaded and the OS kernel attempts to boot.  In
the case of installing NT4 from the recovery CD's (1-2 cpu version 1.0) I
get a BSOD with the error message "System Disk Inaccessible" along with the
requisite file dump.

In the case of Win2k Pro & AS, the install again halts after the initial
device drivers are loaded but simply freezes at this point.

I have tried installing to both SCSI and IDE drives with the same result.
Further, I have also tried utilizing the PROM partitioning tool as well as
preparing disk partitions on an existing Win2k machine.

In any case, I set the first partition of the drive to 4000mb and the second
to 200mb.

Prior to installation, I flashed the PROM with the 1.1005 upgrade.

I've performed all the obvious checks several times over (SCSI ID, reseated
CPU's, RAM, VRM's, SCSI drives, IDE cables, power cables etc).  Extensive
PROM Boot Up Tests show no failures.  I've also tried using a few IDE and
SCSI drives with the same results on each.  I have also tried reverting back
to two CPU's with appropriate VRM and terminator placement.

I believe this is a hardware failure of some sort, so I wanted to see if
anyone had any experience which could help diagnose and circumvent this
issue.  I don't have the hardware expertise to pin it down.

Thanks!

2. SUPERIOR CD: another update!

3. USB 2 PS/2 adapters on the VW 320/540

4. Tricky Question please help

5. VW 540 + video card + linux ???

6. 16 bit Sioux?

7. IEEE 1394 (Firewire) on VW 320 & 540

8. PSC Scheduling Conference for hearings in Utah on ISDN

9. SDRAM for VW 540

10. Mini review of the VW 540.

11. qlogic QLA1080 U2W SCSI controller + Seagate 9.1G (BOOTABLE) for SGI vw 320/540

12. FS: DA1100 digital audio card for SGI VW 320/540

13. LF: VW 540 or Zx10