Installing new printers...

Post by Guillaume Dargau » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 07:39:26

I've installed printers on an SGI 2100 before, IRIX 6.5.11. No problem,
except I don't remember how I did it (probably with lpadmin ?).

I got a new 2100 with 6.5.13 and decided to install the same printers.
I fired up [Toolchest][Printer manager], add new printer, online, give the
IP, HP printer, Color LaserJet, JetDirect admin... Options: woah, it even
recognizes the duplex unit. Heaven.

OK, let's do the same on the old machine. I fire up the Printer manager and
it tells me I have 2 BSD printers and I can't set any options. Let's delete
them. Now Add printer: what, no HP vendor option (only generic) ? no network
printer (only serial and parallel) ?
Oooops...

How come I don't have the same options ? Is it 6.5.11 vs 6.5.13 or something
else ?!?
--
Guillaume Dargaud
Colorado State University - Dept of Atmospheric Science

Installing new printers...

Post by Guillaume Dargau » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 09:29:55

Some precisions: there aren't any ppd files in /usr/spool/lp/PPD_model/ on
the old machine, so I copied them over.
The installation of the printer proceeds fine (HP, 4500 color, network
printer...) until I click OK. I then get "No such printer model as
impressario_ppd_model"

Any clue ?

One file that is missing on the old system is: /var/spool/lp/devices/jet
--
Guillaume Dargaud
Colorado State University - Dept of Atmospheric Science
http://rome.atmos.colostate.edu/Antarctica/
  "- You know," said Arthur, "it's times like this, when I'm trapped in a
Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation
in deep space, that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me
when I was young."
  "- Why, what did she tell you ?"
  "- I don't know, I didn't listen."    - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the
Galaxy.

Installing new printers...

Post by Nigel Wad » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 19:46:36

> Some precisions: there aren't any ppd files in /usr/spool/lp/PPD_model/ on
> the old machine, so I copied them over.
> The installation of the printer proceeds fine (HP, 4500 color, network
> printer...) until I click OK. I then get "No such printer model as
> impressario_ppd_model"

> Any clue ?

> One file that is missing on the old system is: /var/spool/lp/devices/jet
> --

All this is part of impressario. What version of impressario do you have
installed on the old machine? PPD_model is from impr_print and
impressario_ppd_model is part of impr_base.

I'm not sure where devices/jet comes from - it's a device special file so
may be created as part of the impressario post-install.

Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523568, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555

Installing new printers...

Post by Vapor_Trai » Sun, 18 Nov 2001 15:23:54

Could someone PLEASE help me get this INDIGO2 On The Net? Cable Modem

I have a teal Indgo2 and would like to get it surfing through my cable
modem..
I have charters Pipeline Cable modem service with a Surfboard SB4100

I have been reading these groups and the sgi site and have not been able to
get it to move.

the modem is attached to my hub and works for all my PEECEE's no problem

I can ping the pc's and ping the gateway IP provided to me from my provider.
I can not ping the DNS servers or anything outside my network...

I am rather new to the SGI machine but have a pretty good grip on things so
far..

thanks for any help....

Installing new printers...

Post by Vapor_Trai » Sun, 18 Nov 2001 15:36:54

the machine is ip22 200 Mhz
ram 98 meg
2 gr3 elans
running irix 6.2 or 6.3

Please note that this is not a valid email address please respond to this
group..

thanks

Installing new printers...

Post by Vapor_Trai » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:14:50

[...]

Post by Marcus Herber » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 17:55:38

Quote:> I can ping the pc's and ping the gateway IP provided to me from my provider.
> I can not ping the DNS servers or anything outside my network...

Read the FAQ about the topic "IRIX 6.2 default gateway".

Quote:> I am rather new to the SGI machine but have a pretty good grip on things so
> far..

I could give you the exact answer but making you look for the FAQ will help you
to answer many questions on your own in the future :-).

Quote:> the machine is ip22 200 Mhz
> ram 98 meg
> 2 gr3 elans
> running irix 6.2 or 6.3

Its 6.2.

--

        Geek-Code: GCS b O e+ h

Installing new printers...

Post by Michael M. Sutto » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 02:32:14

you prob have a problem with your default route.  you prob
need to set your default route to the IP address of your
gateway.

what is output of     netstat -r     ?
ipaddress of your gateway?  (to make sure it's right address).

you'll prob need to do the command
/usr/etc/route add default ip_address_of_gateway  2

try pinging it again.   if that works you'll need to
add your default route to /etc/config/static-route.options to
make it happen each time you reboot,  (or you'll have to re-issue the
above command)

add this to that file etc/config/static-route.options
$ROUTE $QUIET add default default ip_address_of_gateway

enjoy

-michael sutton

> I have a teal Indgo2 and would like to get it surfing through my cable
> modem..
> I have charters Pipeline Cable modem service with a Surfboard SB4100

> I can ping the pc's and ping the gateway IP provided to me from my provider.
> I can not ping the DNS servers or anything outside my network...

> I am rather new to the SGI machine but have a pretty good grip on things so
> far..

> the machine is ip22 200 Mhz
> ram 98 meg
> 2 gr3 elans
> running irix 6.2 or 6.3

> Please note that this is not a valid email address please respond to this
> group..

> thanks

> thanks for any help....

Installing new printers...

Post by Vapor_Trai » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 02:37:01

No matches were found for " "IRIX 6.2 default gateway" from the SGI site

Were are these FAQ's I do not see any in this group and the listing at
http://www-viz.tamu.edu/~sgi-faq/
Does not list it either.. I must be missing something.  I have searched the
SGI site for several nights and can find nothing that
explains how to set the default gateway..

I got it to the point where I can ping the default gateway from my ISP I can
also ping the DNS servers and every other machine on my network.
but still can not surf.. I get a TCP error

Installing new printers...

Post by Vapor_Trai » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 03:28:10

You are the man...  It worked..

I had the format of the line below wrong. typos gotta love them.

Quote:> $ROUTE $QUIET add default default ip_address_of_gateway

thank you very much...

Installing new printers...

Post by Eric M Haa » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 03:46:35

Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.sgi.admin: 19-Nov-101 Re: Could someone

Quote:> No matches were found for " "IRIX 6.2 default gateway" from the SGI site

> Were are these FAQ's I do not see any in this group and the listing at
> http://www-viz.tamu.edu/~sgi-faq/
> Does not list it either.. I must be missing something.  I have searched the
> SGI site for several nights and can find nothing that
> explains how to set the default gateway..

Try the same search on groups.google.com.  Also, techpubs.sgi.com should
have that information in the 6.2 section.

Quote:> I got it to the point where I can ping the default gateway from my ISP I can
> also ping the DNS servers and every other machine on my network.
> but still can not surf.. I get a TCP error

Assuming the above doesn't help, can you be more specific here?  Can you
ping and traceroute to the sites you're trying to get to?

-Eric

Installing new printers...

Post by Guillaume Dargau » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 06:26:09

Quote:> All this is part of impressario. What version of impressario do you have
> installed on the old machine? PPD_model is from impr_print and
> impressario_ppd_model is part of impr_base.

Thanks. Impressario wasn't installed.
Works fine now.
--
Guillaume Dargaud
Colorado State University - Dept of Atmospheric Science
http://rome.atmos.colostate.edu/
  "The evolution of languages: FORTRAN is a non-typed language. C is a
weakly typed language. Ada is a strongly typed language. C++ is a strongly
hyped language."    - Ron Sercely.

1. Printer install mknetpr vs Printer Manager

Just recieved a new .PPD file for a printer that we are testing both for
the company and to see if we will support it in our product.  Well
trying to install it I ran into some problems and am a bit confussed.
After going through the 'proper' installation procedure for I never get
the printer as an option using the printer manager.  However if I use
mknetpr (the printer resides as a host on the network) I get the option
and everything installs fine.  The manufacturer isn't being a big help
and I can't find much of anything in the manuals that I have.

Just wondering if anyone has seen this scenario before?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Error on SP4!

3. What commands does Printer Manager run to install BSD style remote printer ?

4. jacada - as400

5. New install and new error

6. Why doesn't string instructions work under pmode?

7. Installing Printer on SGI O2

8. NM-8B-U with S/T interface

9. FS NEW Output Technology 4130 Series Line printer WOW>>$995.

10. Installing a remote printer under IRIX 6.5.3

11. Problem installing an old printer on an Octane

12. how to install local parallel printer on Indigo ?

13. galileo install deletes printer entries