PC-NFS Secondary GID not being accessed/displayed

PC-NFS Secondary GID not being accessed/displayed

Post by Ron.Madurs » Fri, 12 Nov 1993 08:36:46

We have an SGI Indigo running IRIX4.0.5 (rev E, I think).  Using the pcnfsd
supplied by sgi (but not supported) everything seems to work OK, except
that users who belong to more than one group can not see files that are
accessible to a certain group only.  When a user runs net name there is
a secondary GID of 5344 and sometimes a 0 also.  When a user runs niscat
from the PC the proper groups are displayed, with all of the appropriate
users.

We are using PC-NFS version 5.0.
SMC Elite Ultra combination cards, and Xircom adapters for the notebooks.
Dos versions are 5.0 and 6.0.

I talked to a couple of people at SGI and they did not have an answer.
The people at SUN are still looking into the problem, but they had no
clue to what the source of the error might be.  I am getting a bit
desparate since I need to leave this site tomorrow (thursday) afternoon.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Ron Madurski

--

uunet!drd!ron         ||   3 things you can count on in life.           ||

Post by Dennis Flaher » Sat, 13 Nov 1993 04:37:49

> We have an SGI Indigo running IRIX4.0.5 (rev E, I think).  Using the pcnfsd
> supplied by sgi (but not supported) everything seems to work OK, except
> that users who belong to more than one group can not see files that are
> accessible to a certain group only.  When a user runs net name there is
> a secondary GID of 5344 and sometimes a 0 also.  When a user runs niscat
> from the PC the proper groups are displayed, with all of the appropriate
> users.

> We are using PC-NFS version 5.0.
> SMC Elite Ultra combination cards, and Xircom adapters for the notebooks.
> Dos versions are 5.0 and 6.0.

> I talked to a couple of people at SGI and they did not have an answer.
> The people at SUN are still looking into the problem, but they had no
> clue to what the source of the error might be.  I am getting a bit
> desparate since I need to leave this site tomorrow (thursday) afternoon.

> Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

That's funny, we're having the exact same problem with PC-TCP from
FTP Software.  We run NIS, and when a filesystem from the server is
NFS-mounted onto a DOS network drive, the user only has group
permissions of his login group, and not of the rest of the groups he's
a member of as listed in /etc/group.

I had been suspecting a bug in the PC-TCP code, but now I wonder if
it's the pcnfsd on the server that's not telling the PC-TCP client
about the other groups.  I'll have to take a peek at the pcnfsd code.

--

    My doctor says Mylanta, but my boss says Alka-Seltzer!

Post by Kurtis D. Rad » Sun, 14 Nov 1993 09:01:29

>> We have an SGI Indigo running IRIX4.0.5 (rev E, I think).  Using the pcnfsd
>> supplied by sgi (but not supported) everything seems to work OK, except
>> that users who belong to more than one group can not see files that are
>> accessible to a certain group only.  When a user runs net name there is
>> a secondary GID of 5344 and sometimes a 0 also.  When a user runs niscat
>> from the PC the proper groups are displayed, with all of the appropriate
>> users.
>That's funny, we're having the exact same problem with PC-TCP from
>FTP Software.  We run NIS, and when a filesystem from the server is
>NFS-mounted onto a DOS network drive, the user only has group
>permissions of his login group, and not of the rest of the groups he's
>a member of as listed in /etc/group.
>I had been suspecting a bug in the PC-TCP code, but now I wonder if
>it's the pcnfsd on the server that's not telling the PC-TCP client
>about the other groups.  I'll have to take a peek at the pcnfsd code.

It's definitely the pcnfsd code, not the NFS client, that is
responsible for setting up the DAC's.  On a Sequent running Dynix/ptx
with ptx/NFS v4.0 and FTP Inc's v2.2 release on the PC the secondary
group mechanism works correctly.

--
Kurtis D. Rader, Staff Engineer              voice:    503/578-3714
NAOTS, Sequent Computer Systems              fax:      503/578-5453

Post by Fred Whitesi » Mon, 15 Nov 1993 01:09:11

>That's funny, we're having the exact same problem with PC-TCP from
>FTP Software.  We run NIS, and when a filesystem from the server is
>NFS-mounted onto a DOS network drive, the user only has group
>permissions of his login group, and not of the rest of the groups he's
>a member of as listed in /etc/group.

>I had been suspecting a bug in the PC-TCP code, but now I wonder if
>it's the pcnfsd on the server that's not telling the PC-TCP client
>about the other groups.  I'll have to take a peek at the pcnfsd code.

        Please note that PCNFSD version 1 only supports one GID (that
is to say, the authentication request returns 1 UID and 1 GID).  PCNFSD
version 2 supports multiple GIDs.

-fred
Fred Whiteside   Beame & Whiteside Software - Networking Software

Post by Dennis Flaher » Wed, 17 Nov 1993 04:56:26

> >That's funny, we're having the exact same problem with PC-TCP from
> >FTP Software.  We run NIS, and when a filesystem from the server is
> >NFS-mounted onto a DOS network drive, the user only has group
> >permissions of his login group, and not of the rest of the groups he's
> >a member of as listed in /etc/group.

> >I had been suspecting a bug in the PC-TCP code, but now I wonder if
> >it's the pcnfsd on the server that's not telling the PC-TCP client
> >about the other groups.  I'll have to take a peek at the pcnfsd code.

>    Please note that PCNFSD version 1 only supports one GID (that
> is to say, the authentication request returns 1 UID and 1 GID).  PCNFSD
> version 2 supports multiple GIDs.

That was it!  We're running pcnfsd service on an Intergraph machine
and it was in fact version 1.  Fortunately I admin a bunch of SPARCs
here and I put version 2 up on one and multiple-GID nfs works now.

Thanks!

--

    My doctor says Mylanta, but my boss says Alka-Seltzer!

1. PC-NFS problem: uid of nobody is not 60001!

Some of our PC's are mounting a directory from a Challenge DM
using the PC/NFS sw 'PC/TCP' provided by FTP Software, Inc.
All files or directories created by the PC sw will have a uid
of '65534' (sometimes a '4294967294' is shown) and not a '60001'
(which is defined in /etc/passwd as nobody) as expected. NIS is
running and shows the correct uid. The former server was an AIX box
and was able to handle the uid for nobody as '4294967294'.
Does anybody know if this is a problem with mapping the uid of '-2'
to '60001' as it is described in 'man 4 passwd' or could it be that
the PC/NFS sw use a '4294967294' instead of '-2' hardcoded?

Thanks for any hint.
--
Bernhard Kpper                |Tel.: (49)-(30)-20192310
MPG AGr Quantenchemie          |Fax.: (49)-(30)-20192302

J?gerstr. 10/11, D-10117 Berlin|WWW:  soon

2. PCMCIA SCSI?

3. Dual attached FDDI and secondary ethernet access

4. Two-Line Switching Device

5. Adding a secondary cache to an O2 machine (to a PC machine)???

6. Communications Software f

7. Secondary DNS Not Working

8. Questions abouts table info. and tablespaces.

9. Suspension from Post Secondary School over NFS mounting

10. PC-NFS

11. GDM20D11 on PC question (not "can I make it working on my PC ?")

12. I am looking for used computer equipment pc-dec-mac-sun-sgi-etc...

13. IRIX PC-NFS to WIN95/NT